Breech and Depressed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 04-07-2004, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out yesterday that my baby is breech. I'm doing a bunch of things to encourage the baby to turn - pulsatilla, tilt board, Webster technique from a chiropractor. If the baby hasn't turned by Monday, my midwife wants to attempt a version. They've got a really good track record of getting babies to turn, so I should be optimistic (I'm 37w3d, so we've got time yet).

All day yesterday I managed to be optimistic and hopeful about it - yes, a c-section would be about as far from my planned homebirth as possible, but if that turns out to be what needs to happen, then it's for the best. But today all of a sudden I'm having a hard time keeping my spirits up.

Feeling tired and hormonal and down about it all. I don't want to get too upset, because I know my being tense and anxious isn't going to do the baby any good, but I don't seem to be able to stop the tears from sneaking out occasionally.

I've had a remarkably smooth pregnancy, and as I entered into these last few weeks I was still enjoying being pregnant. Although I've started really looking forward to finally meeting this Little Bean I've been carrying around for months. Now I feel like I can't focus on preparing myself for birth and beyond, because I don't have the slightest idea any more what that's going to be like, and for the first time in a long time I'm not joyously pregnant anymore.

I just wish I could cheer up and face this with a sense of optimism and purpose, like I was yesterday, instead of sitting here all weepy.

Any words of support or encouragement? Mostly I think I just need a hug and cuddle - I'm glad DH will be getting home soon.
#2 of 62 Old 04-07-2004, 06:54 PM

I think everything you are feeling is normal. I remember all too well feeling the same way over 7 years ago when I waspregnant with my daughter.

My words of wisdom: go with your gut, listen to your body and your baby.
Try to focus on the little one you are about to meet.
If it looks like you may have to have a surgical birth, somewhat prepare for it by learning about pain medications, hospital policies, breastfeeding help, etc.

I hope though your baby turns!
#3 of 62 Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 PM

You are doing everything you can, and that's all you can do! I will send head down vibes your way!
#4 of 62 Old 04-07-2004, 10:49 PM

Hey,

I know just how you feel. However, I might have a good option. I 'm pretty sure my baby turned as a result of the Webster technique ( which I found out about on this discussion group ) and especially after I had accupunture yesterday. I know you're doin g a lot of things already but since this worked so well for me I thought I ought to pass it on. Best of luck.

Molly
#5 of 62 Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM

Hi --

I am an apprentice midwife in Ann Arbor.

It sounds like you have a good plan for turning the baby.

One other resource to consider would be acupuncture. There is a wonderful acupuncturist we have worked with before named Abby Humphrey. She practices out of an office called the Center for Sacred Living on Hogback Rd. She has said to me in the past that she has better luck with turning babies before 35 weeks, but she may be able to help you if you want to consider another method.

Good luck, and pm me if you want to chat about other possible local resources.

Stacia

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#6 of 62 Old 04-08-2004, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Stacia and Molly. I was planning to try to call Abby today and try out the whole acupuncture thing...
#7 of 62 Old 04-11-2004, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd give an update...

I've been doing Pulsatilla and the tilt board all week. I've been to the chriropractor twice. At my midwife appt on Friday, my midwife was very optimistic - she was able to get the baby to move a good 1/4 turn pretty much effortlessly. So she encouraged me to apply a little bit of gentle pressure to try to get the baby at least transverse, and Little Bean has responded well. I'm going in to the office in an hour for them to attempt to turn the baby (they use a much gentler technique than they'd use in the hospital).

Yesterday was the big day to do everything I could to help the baby along. Chiropractor first thing in the morning, tilt board, tilt board again, an hour in the swimming pool doing somersaults, and back on the tilt board three more times before a warm bath and bed. Felt like I made a lot of progress - I think the baby's head is down parallel with my belly button now, and the hard bits up top are shoulders and back. Last night I was feeling kicks in the middle of my belly, instead of down low.

Anyway, I'm really optimistic that my midwives will be able to encourage the baby to flip. Hope I have good news to report when I get home! If anyone's up early, please think happy head down thoughts for us!
#8 of 62 Old 04-11-2004, 02:31 PM

Hi Tammy,

Hope all went well and baby is enjoying his/her "new" womb view head down

Take care,
LisaG

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#9 of 62 Old 04-11-2004, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but sadly, Little Bean's view has not changed... More tilt board and all the rest of it for the next couple days, and we'll try again on Tuesday. Plus I'm calling an OB tomorrow and once I get in to see her, we can start discussing ECV and see if I want to give that a try.

I feel like I'm more depressed than I should be. I'm fine, baby's fine, and that's really what matters. But the uncertainty and constant emotional ups and downs of "will this thing work this time" are just killing me...
#10 of 62 Old 04-11-2004, 03:23 PM

Oh Tammy,

I think it's totally understandable that you're having a roller coaster of emotions (events alone, but then add in the magic of pregnancy hormones for that extra special cocktail effect ).

Be gentle with yourself, and maybe do something nice for healthy distraction today. Yes it's wonderful that you and baby are doing well, hold on to that. At the same time, there's the chance that a dearly held plan and dream of birth may not come to fruition the way you'd hoped, so of course you're going to have feelings of depression and disappointment - totally normal! And it'd be one thing if you knew for sure, but the uncertainty of it all amps everything up.

One thought - not sure if this will resonate with you or not, but perhaps you could have a conversation with babe and let him/her know where you're at with all of this. Not the "please turn" conversation (although that can be helpful too), but the "I'm feeling sad/uncertain/upset that what I really wanted for both of us (vaginal birth - at home I think? sorry I'm fuzzy on details) may not happen." Sometimes that can hold a nice space for a shift in internal perspective.

Take good care of yourself!

LisaG

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#11 of 62 Old 04-12-2004, 02:58 PM

You could look again, if you have already, at books like Spiritual Midwifery- they deliver vaginal breeches with no problems. Investigate your options *fully*- no one here where I live knew there is a doctor who will attend vaginal breeches in hospital until a midwife I know happened to mention it. You could go to the Farm to have your baby if you strongly want a vaginal birth and don't believe a csection is best, or have an unassisted homebirth. Not everyone would want to do that, but knowing all your options, even those that seem outrageous to you, will help you feel you are choosing the course your hcps are recommending, rather than feeling it's something happening *to* you, and I think this can make all the difference in how the birth goes for you, surgical or vaginal. Lots of luck and
#12 of 62 Old 04-13-2004, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

I have an appointment with my newly acquired OB this afternoon. I'm trying to be as prepared for the visit as possible, so I'm writing up a list of goals for the appointment and questions to ask. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

1. Schedule an ultrasound so we can see if there are any identifiable reasons why the baby hasn't and shouldn't turn.

2. Talk about External Cephalic Version - What does it involve, exactly? How often has he done them? What's his success rate? What's his emergency c-section rate following ECV? What are the risks? Am I a good candidate? How soon could one be scheduled?

3. Talk about a c-section - What does it involve, exactly? When, relative to my due date, would he want to schedule it? Would it be possible to wait until I went into labor, rather than scheduling it? What are the pros and cons of scheduling vs. waiting for labor? What are my options - who can be in the room, what kind of anesthesia could be used and what are the effects, what kind of pain relief could be used and what are the effects? Most importantly - how can I make this as much as possible like a "regular" birth, and not like a surgical procedure? How soon can I touch the baby? Hold the baby? Breastfeed? How long would I be in the hospital? Could the baby room-in with me?

Anything else I should ask?

Thanks in advance.
#13 of 62 Old 04-13-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi, I hope your appointment goes well today. Here is an interesting site, http://www.breechbabies.com/contents.htm . It has lots of info about breech babies, including birthing vaginally. I didn't know if you were interested in that or not. Good luck, we're all thinking of you and wishing you a happy birth.
#14 of 62 Old 04-13-2004, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to attempt a vaginal breech delivery, but as far as I can tell, there is no one in my area who will perform them.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.
#15 of 62 Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 AM

First off Pronunciations of breech are so difficult to deal with. You're almost there, you're at the end of the pregnancy, if you're like myself or you there has been no other complications, and suddenly...baby is upside down and you weren't expecting it. I know. My pregnancy was remarkably easy it's just that my little one wanted to sit breech. I tried absolutely everything in the book, and my baby girl knew how she wanted to be born, and it wasn't LOA!
I know you just want to be comforted right now, and odds are you're baby will turn and you will have the beautiful home birth that you have been planning. But just know that, I'm sitting here with my precious baby girl on my lap, and I'm still disappointed that a cesarean birth was what we needed, but I'm not disappointed in my baby and I have every othe part of her life to look forward to.
Good luck, I'm sure you're trying everything out there, and that's really all you can do. It's also a good idea to make sure you're really ready for the babe, both physically and emotionally. Let them know you accept them free of gender preferences, of circumstances surrounding the conception, pregnancy, regardless of any issues b/t you and the father, etc.And don't have a looming to-do list...baby knows these things.

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

#16 of 62 Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Gratefulmum. I appreciate the perspective from someone who's been there! Sounds like our situations are remarkably similar - it's been a very smooth pregnancy, physically, anyway.

Emotionally, I've had a lot of things to work through in this pregnancy. 9 months ago I was asking myself some pretty serious questions about whether I wanted to have kids (now or ever). Then I found out I was pregnant, and spent the first few months coming to terms with and welcoming that. But then I started to freak out about my suitability as a parent, all coming out of my own dysfunctional upbringing. But I worked through all of that, and have reached the point where I believe in my ability to be a good mom and was starting to really look forward to embarking on parenting! And now this.

Ahhh, just another learning experience and opportunity for growth.

Or as a friend says - "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."
#17 of 62 Old 04-14-2004, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Okay - I'm trying not to get my hopes too worked up, but I'm wondering if maybe, just maybe, the baby has turned. Last night I was up for an hour and a half in the middle of the night while the babe did a gymnastics routine in my belly. Felt different when I first got up this morning, but still felt something head like up top.

However, when I went for my Webster technique session with my chiropractor, I tested Webster negative in the initial eval, meaning that I didn't need the adjustment. I have no idea what that means! Has anyone whose used Webster tested negative on the eval but had the baby not be turned?

I've got a call into my midwives to see if I can drop by the office and have them do an evaluation of position. In the meantime I'm being very cautiously optimistic.
#18 of 62 Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 PM

I was really thrown for a loop when, at 37 weeks, we discovered that my daughter was breech. She had been vertex up until that time. I am fairly tall & hippy & just never figured I would not deliver vaginally. I wish you the best of luck turning your baby. If it doesn't happen, I wanted to tell you something that I came across while trying to figure out why my dd was breech & what I could do about it. I don't remember where I read it, but it really made me feel bettter. "Some babies just want to be closer to mommy's heart."

Hugs!!!
#19 of 62 Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Despite my intention to keep in good spirits, I'm having a hard time with it right now. I dealt okay with the news that the baby was still breech, after hoping all day that maybe, just maybe, she had turned.

I'm doing the tilt board regularly, but it doesn't seem to ever really get the baby's attention. Right now I'm just looking at it as a way to help keep the baby from engaging deeply in my pelvis, which should make other things more likely to work.

But maybe the baby just doesn't want to turn, or can't turn, or shouldn't turn. And everyone's got a million opinions about what's safe and what's not. It feels like I'm in a no-win situation of choosing between risky situations with not enough information and never sure whose opinion to believe and trust.

I'm still feeling more emotionally stable than I had been, and trying to really just accept whatever comes. But the waiting game is getting really tiring, as is having to constantly make decision after decision after decision. I almost wish that I'd just go into labor so I could stop making decisions and just be done.
#20 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tammylc

Ahhh, just another learning experience and opportunity for growth.

Or as a friend says - "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."
Your friend is right on! I need that printed on a T-shirt!!!
#21 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 03:28 AM

Hmmmm. We're at 34 wks and also breech. Total surprise, since the last appointment the OB was saying "baby's head is down, relax & enjoy the ride" kind of stuff. But the last two weeks have been feeling all the kicks, etc., below the belly-button (and I do mean well below ... like around my behind) ... and had a hospital u/s last week, which is how we found it out ...

So will have to reread this thread if I missed it. What's the Webster thing?

And for those of us without access to tilt boards, any other suggestions?

Besides sending head-down energy to tammy & the rest of us, that is ...
#22 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 03:31 AM

I am sorry that the decisions & the waiting are getting to you. I've been a lurker for quite a while--I have the worst time coming up with user names--& your post prompted me to finally register & post a message because I wanted you to know that you are not alone.

When we found out that dd was breech, I thought I was fine & then wound up crying on the drive home. It was such a shock to me & I totally understand what you are going through. The time between that appointment & dd's birth was an emotional roller coaster. I think for the first month after her birth I was still bummed about not delivering vaginally. Now, I'm glad to have had the time I did to adjust to the concept of a c/birth & I am so happy to be a mommy. Try to trust yourself & your instincts & do your best to relax. I will be holding good thoughts for you.

#23 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

merpk - a tilt board can be anything - lots of people use their ironing board. (Although I managed to dent mine!)

Webster is a chiropractic technique that's supposed to be pretty good at turning breech babies.

Here's a link to a whole bunch of techniques: http://www.geocities.com/momcare/breech.htm
. And there are a bunch more links in the "Suddenly Breech" thread.

At 34 weeks, you've still got plenty of time to work with the baby, so good luck! I didn't find out until I was 37w2d, so I feel like I've been in a race with the clock ever since.
#24 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, auntieM. I really thought that I was doing much better, but now I just feel overwhelmed again. Hopefully tomorrow (well, today, it is 4 am...) will be a better day.
#25 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 04:20 PM

I really understand where you're at -- I was there 6-7 months ago. It is really hard. I had so wanted a natural birth and got a c-section instead. I did come to a place of acceptance about it a week or so before the birth. I knew I had done everything I could to help baby turn, I had been convinced that a cesarean was safest for my baby, and I was just ready to meet him.
Doesn't mean it wasn't traumatic, and I cried a lot of tears before I got to some acceptance.
The information/research on breech delivery is really confusing and it's such a hard decision to make. For me the clincher was that as far as I could tell, a VBAC for my next birth would be safer than a breech delivery for my first birth. But knowing some things I know now, I might choose differently if my next baby was breech. I did find some homebirth midwives who were willing to work with me, but I didn't end up being comfortable with that option.
There is also good information on www.birthlove.com about planning a "good" c-section. I didn't get it exactly the way I would have wanted it, but I did wait to go into labor which was important to me.
Best wishes to you,
Cassidy
#26 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Hi Tammy!

I'm so glad to see that you're here on the MDC boards. We've met a few times---I'm Kristin's friend from Epi with the 2-year-old daughter named Mira. These boards are a wonderful community and resource for parenting.

I hope that all is going well. Mira was also breech/transverse till about 39 weeks. I did everything....she ultimately turned while DH was shining a flashlight and singing a welcome/let's turn song to her.

You've gotten lots of great feedback here. I hope that you have a wonderful birth experience with whatever is.
Best wishes!

StillForest/Sharon
#27 of 62 Old 04-15-2004, 09:42 PM

you dont need to have a c-sec just b/c your baby is breech! if your baby is a frank breech, meaning the butt, not the feet, are presenting first, it is safe to have the baby vaginally. your doc might not be into it, but you can find a doc to support you, or tell your doctor he has to support your decision to birth vaginally, if you decide you want to. but breech shouldnt automatically mean c-sec!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#28 of 62 Old 04-16-2004, 12:25 AM

you can have a footling breech deliver safely and vaginally, also, as a friend of mine did just less than a year ago. the Farm is a great resource for this and their literature really helps foster trust in the natural birth process; at least, it has for me. unfortunately there is a lot of conflicting information, as though there weren't enough of that around birth anyway.

the owner of a doula agency i work with has a hypnotherapy technique and also some other things she does to help turn breeches, with herbs and things. if you are interested in speaking with her please pm me.
#29 of 62 Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

At this point, I've given up on the idea of a vaginal breech delivery. None of the doctors in this area do them. Since one of the most important factors in a successful vaginal breech delivery is an experienced practitioner, even if I could convince a doctor who usually doesn't do it, I don't think it would be a good idea. Nor do I want to be hours away from my support network and my home.

My midwives would do one at home if I really insisted, but I'm not willing to expose my baby to the additional risks. And from my reading, I believe that there are significant additional risks. While they'd do it, they don't recommend it for a first time mom, and I trust their judgement and experience.

In addition, I don't even know if the baby is in an appropriate position for a vaginal attempt. He's sort of half breech and half transverse. His head is usually under my right rib cage, and his ?butt? (or something...) is above my left hip.

So I will continue to do all of the natural things I can to encourage the baby to turn. And if that doesn't work over the weekend, I will let my OB attempt a version on Monday morning. If that doesn't work, well, I'm going to make my peace with it all and work with my OB and my husband and my friends and family to plan the best darn c-section I can. I'm due in 9 days. If I had more time, maybe I could make different decisions (more likely I'd just end up tormenting myself with a stream of too much information). But I don't, so I'm going to make the best of the time that I do have.
#30 of 62 Old 04-16-2004, 08:02 AM

Tammy ~ I've been following this thread (and sending lots of baby turning thoughts your way) and I just wanted to say that I think you have a really great attitude. Good luck and enjoy your birth and your new baby (however s/he chooses to enter this world)!

~Erin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page