Pregnancy, Natural Childbirth and a Fractured Pelvis... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I fractured my pelvis in 4 places in a car accident (non-displaced fractures of the pubic rami) 6 weeks after having my now 12 mth old DD at home with a midwife.  According to doctors treating me at the time, becasue I was so soon PP my pelvic floor was not in the best shape to begin with ...

My bones have healed according to xrays and drs, however I still experience some pelvic pain with movements etc. DH and I had planned on TTC #2 sometime soon ... I am wondering if any birth professionals have had experience catching babies where the mamas have had similar injuries... ?

Some people have put the "you'll need a c-sec" scare into me and I'm looking for some information or BTDT with other mamas who have had a natural, home birth following a multiple-fracture of the pelvis

TIA

#2 of 5 Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM

I don't have any personal experience with a fractured pelvis, but my mother broke hers before I was born.  From what I understand, it was really bad and she was bedridden in a hard cast for months.  She went on to have both me and my sister vaginally, although we were "forceps babies," as she says.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know SOMEONE has!

#4 of 5 Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM

I have caught babies from quite fractured pelvises. Sometimes it doesn't work, but there's no way to find out except to try. I've actually seen more "problem" from fractures in the low back, as it can interfere with the baby entering the pelvis. But it still works most of the time. Certainly more often than the standard 70% rate of avoiding c-section at the local hospital.
I do recommend water birth to allow lots of freedom of movement and stretching and help with any extra pain from the fractures moving. But it's not always necessary to give birth in the water, it's just nice to have in case.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#5 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

THANK-YOU Jane!!!!

You have absolutely reassured me :)   I think the attitude of "give it a try" is how I was planning to proceed anyway....

Gosh I love MDC!  joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page