Painful and Pain-free birth: Have you had both? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2004, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
my second labour was much, much LESS painful than my first..

i was similar to you.. was doing great until the back labour with my first.. it was so hard to stay on top of it all..

with my second, no back labour.. not pain free, but in comparison, it was a breeze!! with my second, i also had a doula in addition to my midwife, i found this to be fabulous, i felt so well taken care of!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2004, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do believe that our culture doesn't leave women the choice of going into labor w/o preconcieved ideas about it being painful. Birth =pain is sold as the truth and if a woman doesn't experience pain it is considered a fluke. I do think those messages live in our subconscous even if we have tried to "deprogram" our views of birth. Now I by no means think that this is the only reason women feel pain in labor but I do recognize it more than likely plays a part.
My labor with my daughter was somewhat painful but nothing like I had been told it would be, However I never (at the time) questioned the "fact" contractions were painful. My daughters birth was wonderful and I came away from it knowing I could do it again. I had her unplanned UC , btw.
My son's birth was horrible, I was induced and well it was the worst pain I have ever felt. I didn't get pain meds but had he not been born 5 minutes after I had agreed to them I guess I would have had an epi.
I do now believe labor can be pain free and fear and conditioning to have a lot to to with how much pain is felt. I also think the baby's postion has a lot to do with the pain as well. So eventhough I think pain free is possible, I don't think it is always a possiblilty, if that makes since.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 04-16-2004, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 5 babies (all homeborn) and had slighty different experiences.
Myy first labor (back labor with twins) was not that bad and at least labor was pretty quick (start to finish a bit over 4 hours) and the first twin never rotated but was born face up
My second birth was free of any pain, I didn't have back labor and it was very quick (start to finish a bit under 2 hours).
Third birth was quite intense (on a scale of 1-10 it was about a 7-8) I had another OP baby + back labor but again it went quick (4 1/2 hours).
My recent labor was over 2 days (all back labor) and another OP baby but very mild (2 on a scale of 1-10 ) and nearly pain free.

User Tag List