Prodromal labor and no progress - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 38 weeks 1 day pregnant and have been having prodromal labor since Saturday night (it's Tuesday, so that's over 48 hours now).  On Sunday I went to the hospital with severe contractions every 2-3 minutes, but absolutely no dilation of effacing.  They sent me home. I live in NYC and have been walking miles upon miles everyday, with a lot of pain.  When I walk it feels like my vagina is on fire and that I'm going to pee my pants.  When I sit the pain is more like cramping.  Since Sunday the pain has gotten worse, but less frequent.  

I am carrying a large 8 lb 8 oz baby boy who was breech until 35 weeks.  I was given pulsatila to help turn the baby and was successful.  I have heard that pulsatila can also be used to help move along labor.  My doctor said yesterday that he can't induce me until 39 weeks, which means I'm stuck with this pain and discomfort for another 6 days.  He said my amniotic fluid is plentiful and I've created a wonderful happy place for my baby.  His head has not engaged and he's still floating quite high.  I am beyond uncomfortable and am ready to help this process along in anyway possible!  

My husband and I have tried walking, lots of sex, and nipple stimulation already.  We're ready for something more ... any suggestions??  THANK YOU!!!!

#2 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Did you get tested for a urinary tract infection? I think that may be a good idea. I would also take a good calcium/magnesium supplement. That should help relax your uterus. You may also want to try some raspberry leaf tea. Another trick is to sit on a birth ball (really just a giant exercise ball) instead of chairs. I personally, would quit walking so much. Just sit around and try to relax. Hang in there! I hope you have your baby soon!
Beccadoula likes this.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#3 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM

I live in NYC too, and walking gives me contractions...but not productive contractions, just painful contractions that don't do anything. I also suggest relaxing and taking a nice hot bath, which I find wonderfully helpful and relaxing. 

I agree about testing for a UTI, and making sure you stay hydrated.

Good luck. It's hard to wait but your doctor is right about the risks of induction before 39 weeks (basically, breathing trouble for your baby, they have more information on the March of Dimes website).

#4 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had a UTI a few weeks ago but was treated for it.  The vaginal pain happens only when I walk or stand up.  Has anyone used pulsatila to encourage labor?  Or anything else?

#5 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM

If your baby is not engaged and you are not dilated or effaced at all, it's unlikely that anything you do short of a chemical induction will be successful. Even a pit induction with no effacement or dilation is a risky proposition in terms of your increased risk of c-section. I would stop trying to get labor going, stop walking, stop the nipple stimulation. Try to rest and sleep as much as possible, make sure you are well-hydrated and well-fed and distract yourself. I would second the suggestion of being checked for UTI - there's no reason you couldn't have another one, even though you had one a few weeks ago. In fact, that might make it more likely that you do have one.
Romana likes this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#6 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM

It might also be pain from your pubic bone if it only happens when you're standing. It's called 

Pubic Symphysis Diastasis

Around 38 weeks I started having a lot of pain in that area when standing and that's what it is. Now that I'm 40w4d I can sometimes feel it being sorta out of place. Not much to be done about it. I know it's crippling in NYC. :/ 

#7 of 10 Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Could you possibly have a yeast infection from the antibiotics.  It can make you feel crampy as well and would explain the burning.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#8 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea and Evening Primrose used together often work well to encourage a puttering labor.  The RRLT helps the uterus work effectively and the evening primrose helps ripen the cervix.  I don't know about that pain you're describing...sorry.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/347728/red-raspberry-leaf-tea-tribe

http://www.maternitycorner.com/mcmag/articles/preg0007.html - I don't recommend trying the other options provided there...but this one is good, rrlt/ep

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#9 of 10 Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 AM

I agree with the above. Stop trying to encourage labour and let nature take it's course, 38 weeks is early for trying to start labour, baby knows best of when they are ready, just relax and get some rest in while you can.

Beccadoula likes this.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#10 of 10 Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can I suggest you rest as much as possible. I went through 3 weeks of prodromal labour with dd (just delivered her yesterday). All the walking & housecleaning & attempts at getting labour going just caused me to become more tired & frustrated. I don't know why some of us go through this but I hope it ends quickly for you.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page