Footing breech, legs in my vagina and I couldn't feel it?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS was born by cesarean due to breech presentation. Recently I got my surgical report and was surprised to find that he was a double footling breech. Serial ultrasounds the weeks before his delivery always showed him in Frank breech position. So, I did a google search and everything I see for double footing breech shows a baby with their feet/legs out of the uterus and into mom's vagina or out of her body. I'm really confused. I think I would have felt feet/legs in my vagina....right? I do have a 'heart shaped' uterus so I know more breech babies are possibly in my future. I'm concerned that if DS was a double footling breech other babies might be the same and that of breech positions, this one is less desirable for a vaginal birth, which I'm hoping for.

I did labor for a while to get DS and me all those good birth hormones. Labor started at 7pm, went to the hospital at around 1am. Told I was 2cm dilated. Given Trubutline to slow down labor (planned cesarean was for that morning at 9am). Labor slowed though I continued to have small contractions the EFM picked up. I couldn't feel them and slept for a a couple hours. At 4am the nurses rushed in due to DS's decels. I was prepped for surgery and DS was born at 4:30am. I didn't get anything but the Trubutline between admission to the hospital and the spinal while in the OR.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

At 2cm dilated his feet and legs would not have been in your vagina because they wouldn't have been able to fit through your cervix at that point. I imagine that the photos on Google just show the legs extended for clarity but a footling breech just means that the feet are closest to the cervix as opposed to a frank breech where the legs are bent at the hips and the feet are up near the shoulders.

Here is a picture of a footling breech with a closed cervix http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=footling+breech&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=709&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=hJECPdkqgkPcxM:&imgrefurl=http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/generateexhibit.php%3FID%3D4533&docid=nlRsneSADa8a5M&w=400&h=306&ei=QwaBTtSbK8L2mAWop9WiBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=502&vpy=157&dur=3&hovh=196&hovw=257&tx=156&ty=93&page=1&tbnh=151&tbnw=189&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Footling breech simply means feet were presenting first, as opposed to a butt or knees. 

MeTooMama likes this.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 01:43 PM

First, every baby is different, mama. I wouldn't spend as much time worrying about the next one as I would loving on the one you have right now!

I remember Trubutline... it gave me awful side affects. Since I got that shot I dealt with heart palpitations for almost a year and a half after my oldest son was born. I hope you have better luck than I did, mama!

#5 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies! That image makes much more sense to me now!

I really do need to just embrace this pregnancy for all it is, and isn't, and be at peace. Rainbow.gif

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page