Post C/S abdominal exercises? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-10-2004, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have good info on how to best tone up abdominal muscles post c/s? My abdominal muscles have split apart and I understand that that can cause problems if not dealt with properly (plus they are soooo lax after 2 pregs and 2 c/s in 24 months). I really want to get exercising but want to do it right.

TIA for any suggestions.
#2 of 8 Old 04-11-2004, 05:18 PM

I would recommend getting a postpartum exercise video (I used Denise Austin and Kathy Smith). I know the Denise Austin one shows how to get the abdominal muscles back together again and I think the Kathy Smith one does too).

Basically you are exhaling as you do a crunch coming up and pushing the muscles back together with your hands as you come up. I don't know if that made sense the way I said it, so thats why I recommend the videos as a safe and sure way of doing it properly. Probably if you "google" on "abdominal diastasis" and "postpartum exercises" you will find a better explanation

Then once they have healed, try "Pilates". There are lots of books, classes and videos on these, they are popular right now. Regular sit-ups didn't help my post c-section tummy get flat, but the Pilates gets them as flat as they were before you had a baby! Take your time and you will be happy with the results
#3 of 8 Old 04-11-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, KiwiZ (Welcome to the Boards!! The smilies aren't working for me today).

Thanks for the tips; I'll do a google. I have the pilates video and plan to start on that asap - my baby has gone from 4kg/9 lbs at birth to 6.3kg/14 lbs at 7 weeks!! I have to tone my core or I'll be looking at major back injuries carrying my sweetie around!!

gotta run its bedtime.

Sandra
#4 of 8 Old 04-12-2004, 01:40 PM

this is so timely...thank you! i was eager to hear about pilates...

i am 5 months pp after my first c/b and HELLO! i had no idea that my abs would be shreaded...my lower back is driving me nuts and i'm stretching and doing crunches all day long...

i'm pulling out the pilates video
#5 of 8 Old 04-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Was just wondering if there was anything out there. Also had a c/s and feeling totally out of shape. Please post if you find something that really works
#6 of 8 Old 04-13-2004, 09:19 PM

Do a search for "pelvic tilt". I taught fitness for years and I'd recommend that one.
#7 of 8 Old 04-14-2004, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone - thanks for the input and commiseration ! Sparklemum, you inspire me with your crunches! Spiritfreedom, how does pelvic tilting help in your experience? Rebasea, sending you supportive exercise vibes! WE are a tribe - Shreaded Abs unite!!

KiwiZ has really encouraged me with her testimonial about the efficacy of pilates . I started yesterday and I am soooo eager to build up strength again (I'm following Dagne on the Winsor Pilates tape , IYKWIM).

Some of you might be interested in this for more info:
http://www.ovarianconnection.ca/exer...ration0803.pdf

May we all find the determination to reach our muscle strengthening goals

#8 of 8 Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 AM

I was in Physical Therapy after my second c-section.
She had me do TONS of pilates and kegals. Just make sure you dont over do it with ab exercises.
If you have a Physical Therapy place near you, i would call and they can give you a "workbook"
I loved having PT after, and i am doing the same this time. Actually i have already started LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page