Anyone have a fetal lung maturity test at 37.5 weeks? Was it positive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess the title sums it up...we've been having many medical issues with this pregnancy, so Wednesday we are going to the perinatology clinic for a FLM test. If it is positive, they will induce, but if not, they would like to simply keep monitoring my medical issues closely and give the baby a little more time inside, if possible. FWIW, I have had a prior induction at the same gestational age (no FLM test done) and babe was healthy and strong.

Just wondering what the chances are that it will be positive at this gestational age.

Anyone have experience with this?

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM

I haven't had the test, but both of my kids were preemies.  Did you have the steroid shots prior to 34 weeks to help mature baby's lungs?  Either way, there is a very strong likelihood that baby's lungs will be mature enough at 37.5 weeks to deliver safely.  When I had severe pre-e with my second, my doc was going to deliver at 37 weeks at the latest, but I only got to 34 weeks before delivery was necessary.  At that time, it didn't really matter if baby's lungs were mature or not, because she needed to come out, but that's probably not the case with you.

I hope you are able to have an easy labor and delivery and a healthy baby regardless of gestational age.  :)

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

I had one with my first son at 36.5 weeks and it was positive.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. It gives me hope that maybe we'll get a good answer on Wednesday when we go in for our test.

I haven't had any steroid shots because the issues we have (severe polyhydramnios and rising blood pressures, slight protein in my urine) are things that just came up recently. Right now, both issues are not posing an 'emergency' type situation, but we are about 75 miles from the hospital, and with the potential of things that can go wrong, I would much rather start labor under a controlled situation. My last delivery started spontaneously and was only four hours start to finish.

Thanks again, hopefully others will add their experiences.

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

User Tag List