Anyone had to travel over an hour to give birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2004, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am using a midwife, something I have always wanted to experience and well worth it of course but in order to see one I have to drive about and hour and 15 mins. I'd have to travel 30 mins to the nearest hospital anyway if I was going with a OBGYN but I pass through that city and on to the next for the midwife.

I have been planning on having a homebirth which means finding place to have one where the midwife is (apperently there are people who rent out their suites for this purpose, people who've had homebirths and want others to experience it as well). There is also the option of having my midwife deliver at the hospital but I want my DD to be involved as much as she wants to be and I also want my family to be able to all spend the first night together, DH, DD, baby and I.

Anyway, I have been really starting to question all the work and planning involved....having to bring towel, and sheets and everything that we'll need with us, I mean of course it would be entirely differnt if it was my own home and we could just have everything ready ahead of time! But I had a pretty quick first birth, 12 hrs but 4 hrs of that pushing so really it was only 8 hrs to get me to 10 cms....what I am thinking is if my labor ends up being short maybe it would be more convinient to just have it in the hospital! I just don't know....I'm only 13 weeks, LOL, so I have a long time to figure it out. At my next appt. later this month I will find out as much as I can about hospital policies and when I'd be able to leave.

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has any similar BTDT experiences or just advice for me.
#2 of 7 Old 04-10-2004, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why cant the mw come to your home? Is that not an option?

I had an attempted homebirth........ended up having to transfer to a hospital that was an hour away......at 10c fully dilated. It was the longest ride of my life......maybe it would have been better at an earlier stage in labor. But my point is, its a drag to have to get up and go ANYWHERE at any stage in labor. It can slow everything down.

Having a mw and their back up doctor at the birth in a hospital was great. It was the next best thing to being at home. But it was their backup doctor that made it great. He is a true advocate for homebirths, midwives and letting the parents determine what kind of birth they want to have. I got to have the lights dimmed when she came out........no suctioning.......no vaxs. everything I had on my list.

I hope I said something that helps your decision.........dont want to scare you. BUt please, tell me why mw cant come to your home? I know my mw delivers babies that far away........
#3 of 7 Old 04-10-2004, 11:33 PM

I travelled to a free standing birth center in another state to give birth to my second DD. It was 1 1/2 hours away. My MW was not licensed(at the time) in Louisiana to do homebirths and she was in Texas. So I had the option of driving to her or going to the hospital. I chose to go to her. The drive wasn't really that bad. I was in active labor but it was fairly easy in the car. I got sort of anxious at the end of the trip just b/c we were getting closer to the birth center and I was ready to be out of the car.

I don't understand why your MW wouldn't be able to come to you. My MW is now licensed in Louisiana so next time she will come to me for a homebirth and she is 1 1/2 hours away. I would ask and see if she would be able to come to you. Good luck.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#4 of 7 Old 04-12-2004, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. As for the midwife coming to my home, I am not sure if it is her policy or if it's set out by the gov. but she will not come because a) it puts her 3 hrs away from other clients that might need her during that time as well and b) I you must be within 30 mins of a hospital.

I honestly would like to be closer to a hospital and if I did have to transfer I'd like to still be under my midwifes care, the nearest hospitals are in two neighbouring cities and she wouldn't have hospital privledges at either.

Where I live there are only 2 midwives that are even relatively close....to find another you'd have to travel 5 hrs! And with just the two of them covering such I large area and being in high demand I guess that they are able to stipulate that their clients must come to them. It's a fairly new thing here in BC, Canada...I am just glad that I have the opportunity do experience one, and it's covered by our medical system so I don't have to pay for it which is nice. I just thought I'd add that by fairly new here I mean being licensed and covered by medical, I am sure woman have been having homebirths here for much longer of course!
#5 of 7 Old 04-12-2004, 01:07 PM

I'm planning to deliver at a hospital that's about an hour and 45 minutes from home. There's no one around here that'll take my insurance, so I'm going. Even if my labor goes much much faster this time, I'll still have plenty of time to get there. My family and Mike's family are both closer to the hospital, so I can go to my mom's house if I'm too early in labor or whatever.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#6 of 7 Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 PM

Until 2 years ago, everyone (that didn't have ahomebirth) traveled at least an hour to give birth. My mother did it with my younger brother and siisters (I was born somewhere else) all my friends did it. And the closest hospital really sucks! So, I say, if you are getting the birth you want go for it!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr8flmom
Until 2 years ago, everyone (that didn't have ahomebirth) traveled at least an hour to give birth.
Did you mean 20? Even then, that's only true of people who didn't live in/near a decent sized city...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page