Mothering Forum banner

Has anybody heard of a birth like this?

656 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Hannahkatiebell 
#1 ·
Has anybody heard of / seen a birth where the baby's head presented anterior then rotated a full 180 degrees to posterior? If so, what happened and how did the birth progress?

Thanks in advance :)

#4 ·
Well, I once saw a baby with the head out rotate from anterior to ROA and then 180 degrees to LOA after mama was flipped to hands and knees due to sticky shoulders. Babies can do all kinds of cool things and they can feel better than anyone how they need to move to be born.
smile.gif

#5 ·
Wow .. I've not heard from anybody who knows what I'm talking about before. With DS2's birth, my MW said he presented anterior, rotated all the way posterior, then got stuck. They helped him out by turning his shoulder. He popped right out after that. He was only 7lb 11oz (smaller than DS1 by a couple of ounces) so I have no idea why he'd have SD. Every now and then I try to see if I can get more info :)

#6 ·
DS2 did that during my three hours of pushing. MW said a number of times it was odd, cool and weird because she could see the babies head moving. She commented to the baby "what are you doing in there?"

This wasn't at crowning rather she could see head and turned while coming down.

Don't know if that helps...

#7 ·
My first had been posterior, so I was really curious to know what my second was. The midwife said he was facing my left leg. My next midwife thought that since my labor had been so fast, it was likely that he started to rotate earlier than usual, and not that he was actually facing to the left throughout the whole labor. I'll never know, and now that I type this, I'm not sure it helped you either. :)

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post

Wow .. I've not heard from anybody who knows what I'm talking about before. With DS2's birth, my MW said he presented anterior, rotated all the way posterior, then got stuck. They helped him out by turning his shoulder. He popped right out after that. He was only 7lb 11oz (smaller than DS1 by a couple of ounces) so I have no idea why he'd have SD. Every now and then I try to see if I can get more info :)
Half of SD babies are "big" but the other half are average sized, if that helps your thought process on this. Sounds like that's what was going on with him if they had to get in there are manually rotate his shoulders.

#9 ·
No, I've never seen that happen. But I have seen an posterior baby turn to anterior at crowning, and deliver just fine a few ctx later. I've also seen transverse babies turn breech at the last minute too, and still come out just fine, just feet 1st. And one time saw a head down baby turn breech at 5 cms. So anything is possible! I think if I saw an anterior baby turn posterior at that late point, I'd put her in a knee-chest position & pray the baby righted himself soon!

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyThea View Post

My 3rd baby was posterior all during labor and crowning but turned anterior as his head was halfway out. Was the weirdest feeling in the world. The ob and the nurse both commented on how weird it was and that they had never seen a baby turn at that point in delivery
This just happened at our birth last week! DS flipped from posterior to anterior as I was pushing. The nurse was amazed! The back labor that went along with it was really ouchy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.