SO mad at VBAC ob....scamming billing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Argh!

In August I called one of the two OBs in my county who offer VBACs asking for a consult. As I was on the phone making the appt the receptionist told me that they didn't take my HMO but that the doctor would like to talk to me about the insurance issue. Dh and I went to the app and spoke to the OB about VBACs in general, the hospital he delivers at, a little of my history (prior loss). We also spoke to him about insurance companies and the whole HMO thing. He said that he didn't take ANY HMO due to some hospital political stuff. DH and I told him (and the receptionist as we left) that we were looking into switching to a PPO. As we left the receptionist made an appt for about 2 weeks later.

A few days later DH and I decided that we just couldn't afford the PPO. I called the office and left a message saying that I wasn't going to make that appt and thanked him for his time.

Well, this past Tuesday I get a call from the receptionist. I was driving so the call was short. I said that we weren't able to afford the PPO they accept so I had to make other choices in my prenatal/birth care (I didn't tell her what we were doing or who we were seeing). Less than 5 minutes the Dr calls me. I told him I couldn't talk long because I was driving but said that we couldn't afford the PPO insurance. He wished me luck on my VBAC, I thanked him. That was it.

Then today I get the mail and find a $1200 bill from them!!!

$400 for a extensive consult that, according to the billing code, included a physical exam (there was no exam, just VBAC talk)
$22 for a office visit several days after the 'extensive consult' (never had that appt)
$600 for 2 ultrasounds on the date of the office visit (never had an u/s)

So I call the office and once again, leave a message saying that I'm confused about the $1200 bill I got.

I'm so pissed that this is from the one frickin' choice I had if I were to, for some reason, decide I don't want the homebirth we've planned. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#2 of 3 Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM

I'm inclined to think they billed as if you had the appointment and forgot to take off charges since you didn't...clerical error. I'd call again. Its probably an honest (though stupid) mistake.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#3 of 3 Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Sounds like a billing error.  Mail them a letter explaining what occurred at the meeting and stating what services they claim to have provided were not provided.  Then ask for the bill to either be eliminated or reduced.  If the doctor is reasonable, it should be taken care of.  If it is a scam, then you are more likely to encounter resistance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page