C-section because mom wears glasses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, you read that correctly. It just came to my attention that, where I live in Eastern Europe, OBGYNs routinely recommend c-sections because a woman has a prescription of -5 or larger. The theory is that pushing could damage the eyes even further. Some more "progressive" doctors instead go for an epidural or vacuum delivery. 

The majority of more wacky OB procedures done here can be traced back to US obstetrics, usually from around 50 years ago. Was this once common practice in the US? Are there any studies on this?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#2 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM

I've honestly never heard of that. I can't see how pushing would make it worse, unless you have high pressure in your eyes.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Wow. They are worried that pushing might damage someone's eyesight (which I've never heard of btw), but not so worried about hemorrhage, infection, adhesions, problems with future pregnancies, and on and on? That is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. Ever.
erigeron likes this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 AM

My vision was -5.5 in one eye and -6 in the other.  It actually improved after I pushed a baby out.  lol!

member234098 likes this.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#5 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM

I'm -5 in one eye and -5.5 in the other.  I've never heard of such a thing.  I had two OB hospital births, and not even a mention of any crap like that.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#6 of 14 Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 PM

My vision is -8.5 and I've had c sections and vaginal births. That makes no sense! If your pressure is high, then it might be bad, but I don't know, having surgery is probably not good for it either!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#7 of 14 Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Never, ever heard of that.

My mother has very bad eyesight, it was never suggested to her when pregnant with me (late 60s).   

My eyesight is even worse.   No one mentioned it to me, not even my older coworkers and relatives who might ahve heard it back in the Olden Days.

I think taht's one of those things that is not the USA's fault -- like the French thinking all medications should be given in suppository form or the Germans thinking you need to wrap your kidneys up warm or you'll get sick.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#8 of 14 Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

I think it is maybe a leftover from the Olden Days, when the retinal reattachment surgery was not so easy.

I know of a woman who was informed about such a possibility, she had -15 vision and high blood pressure. She went on to have two kids without a c-section.

Here are some Wikipedia quotes.

"Retinal detachment is more common in people with severe myopia (above 5–6 diopters), in whom the retina is more thinly stretched. In such patients, lifetime risk rises to 1 in 20.[6]"

"...ophthalmologists generally advise patients with high degrees of myopia to try to avoid exposure to activities that have the potential for trauma, increase pressure on or within the eye itself, or include rapid acceleration and deceleration."

I think it made sense in the very old days - kind of a "compare the potential losses" thing, if it happens, hard to fix it. Permanent blindness is scary.

Google for "childbirth, pushing, blood vessels, eyes" and you'd get a million results. Just blood vessels, though, not retina.

Found this paper on PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9026570
"High myopia is not the indication for the cesarean section, but the patients should be examined after the delivery."

I knew a woman who was a retired eye surgeon. I wish I had asked her about these things.

#9 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM

Every time I say to myself, "that's the lamest excuse for a C-section I've ever heard," something new comes along to top it.

I've never heard of that, but if there's any basis for concern, I have to wonder if it would be related to extreme purple pushing.

#10 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 05:21 PM

My vision is bad enough that I'm at increased risk for retinal detachment. I have to get checked regularly. I've never heard of such a bizarre reason for a cesarean. I'm going to have to try to remember to ask next time I go in, since I'm having a 3rd UC in Jan.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#11 of 14 Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM

My OB doesn't even know my eyeglass prescription and has never asked, I think I've always worn contacts in there too and they've never asked *shrugs shoulders*

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#12 of 14 Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM

No idea about it being an indicator for a section, but my vision definitely worsened in the 6 months after DD's birth.  Maybe the pushing, or maybe just pregnancy in general?  My eye doctor told me its very common to have changes one way or the other in your vision during and/or after pregnancy.

#13 of 14 Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Are they concerned about women with poor eyesight pooping on their own as well?

#14 of 14 Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page