Late Baby Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first two babies were 40 weeks to the day.

My third was 41 weeks, but I think it was because of a ton of emotional stress right at 40.  As soon as that resolved, she was born.

My fourth was 41+5, and I induced with acupuncture.  I didn't think it would work, and didn't want to get to 42 with a "now what?" situation.  (My midwives were okay to let me go to 44, btw).

Anyway, as I am reading birth stories, I'm wondering if later babies tend to have a cord issue, or the mama has a good deal of stress of some kind.  My fourth was all tangled up in her cord, and couldn't move down.  She was born in one rapid push, and my placenta followed soon after.  It was almost as if she had been born "normally", she would have had a placental abruption AND cord compression. 

So, for those women who have had a later baby...did you baby have a cord issue at birth that potentially slowed it down? 

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#2 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM

My 3rd was born at 42 weeks (all other births rights around 40 weeks) and my guess was that she was poorly positioned.  I induced with castor oil under MW's supervision, and had my longest labor... I felt like I had to work hard to get her to descend.  But no cord/placental issues at all.

I was also under the most emotional distress during that pregnancy, which did not resolve itself until long after the birth....

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 AM

42+w twice, no cord issues at all.

#4 of 12 Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM

44 weeks and 43 weeks, and no cord issues or other problems with either. 

#5 of 12 Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 AM

My last baby was a 42 week-er and had no cord issues.

#6 of 12 Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM

43+1 weeks (positioning issues) and 43+6 weeks (super fast birth) - no cord issues with either that I was aware of.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#7 of 12 Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 PM

My second baby had a true knot and nuchal cord & was born at 40+1 (tons of stress at the time as well). My third baby had no entanglement, but her cord was very thin and unhealthy looking. She was born at 39 weeks and was my smallest as well. We also had some big, major, very stressful things going on before her birth. We made a huge step in getting the situation resolved and she was born the next day. 

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#8 of 12 Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

40w6days and no cord issues.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#9 of 12 Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM

All my pregnancies were very long,  all my births were trouble free and all my babies were perfectly healthy.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#10 of 12 Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM

of my babies that went over 40 weeks...

41.2, no cord issue but a very distressed/compromised baby. Required 2 weeks NICU, ventilator, etc.

40.3, no cord issue

40.4, no cord issue

I know the 40.3 and 40.4 aren't that late, but i'm adding them in for fun.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#11 of 12 Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM

What's the hypothesis?  That stress or postdates causes cord issues?  Just trying to suss out what you suspect...

This is just off the cuff and I am not a HCP, etc.-- but I'd actually expect later babies to be LESS likely to have cord issues.  No?  Because they are more likely to be "cooked" and have gotten themselves into a good position, not have room to move into a less favorable one, etc.  Plus bigger babies (which, all things being equal, later babies would be) tend to be more optimally positioned and also have less room to move around a whole lot and get "tangled," etc.  Just going with odds here-- no absolutes, of course.

This is aside from the fact that d/t the overuse of interventions in most births (speaking of US births, now), a lot of cord issues are iatrogenic-- such as prolapse caused by AROM, too-early induction (based on faulty U/S dating and such) and augmentation which can lead to babies in suboptimal positions, etc., etc.  Because these things, almost by definition w/in the hospital system, tend to be performed on babies <41 weeks, and often <40 weeks, I'd strongly suspect that the rate of cord issues among those "on-time/earlier" babies would be "artificially" even higher.  I mean, hand in hand with the fact that 41+ week babies are correlated with less-interventionist care, because so many hospital HCPs won't "let" you go beyond 41, or sometimes even 40.

Does that make sense?

#12 of 12 Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

No, I'm not saying the postdates causes the cord issues, but perhaps the other way around.  I don't think my dd could normally start labor because she was so tangled up in her cord.  That happened at 36 weeks...I felt it.  She was spinning and spinning like usual (I had a ton of room), and then she stopped, and only had small movements after that..  After that I could feel her cord wrapped around her back and sandwiched between her and the uterine wall.   So I was curious if other mom's had the same experience.  Wondering if a baby getting tangled in the cord seemed to delay labor.

The stress thing was secondary and a different issue.  Just another curiousity questions.  Probably better rephrased: Do you feel that you didn't go into labor because of stress?

Anyway, I didn't intend both questions together.  I know that lately I make perfect sense to myself, but not much to others.  Pg brain, I guess. :)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page