Birth Choices - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just recently participating in a discussion about birth choices, c-section, VBAC and RCS:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1330100/fb-users-a-hopefully-postive-page-for-all-types-of-c-section-moms

The thread was locked, but were were having a really great conversation. For the first time ever I was talking with mamas who had c-sections, were devastated by them, but wanted to recapture something positive from their birth experience and attempt to heal a part of them that had been broken. There was some arguing, but I have to say, it was one of the most positive and healing things I have experienced regarding my birth experience in over two years.

I had a c-section with my son because he was in a breech position, and my midwives would not deliver him, nor would my doctor allow a vaginal delivery.

Those of us who experienced a c-section instead of a homebirth, UC, or natural childbrith, grapple with feelings of devastation, shame, sorrow...mixed with the joy of childbirth itself, the day our lives with our new babies began. It's a very strange, contradictory combination of feelings.

Some of you may have seen me talk about this before, but I want to provide some context. I am pregnant with my second child, and seeking a VBAC. Here are the choices I am limited to because of the state I live in:

1. RCS in my hometown.

2. VBAC in a large city hospital 3 hours away where I have no family or friends

3. UC

There are no midwives in my state (I have contacted every midwife I can find in the entire state) who will take on an HBAC. I can't even find a midwife who will see me for prenatal care.

I am the breadwinner of my family. I DO get maternity leave, but it is UNPAID. Therefore, I need to work up to delivery. Not only that, my family lives paycheck to paycheck. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO RENT A HOUSE OR APARTMENT in the city for weeks or even days. If I seek a VBAC, it will mean having to drive three hours IN LABOR, then having to drive home from the hospital for three hours with a newborn.

I also have a toddler.

It has been suggested to me that I could network to find strangers to stay with in the city, but doing so seems overwhelmingly difficult to me, especially with a toddler, and especially since we are talking about a 2-3 week window in which I might go into labor.

More than anything, I WANT A VBAC!!! However, I am overwhelmed and saddened by my lack of choices. I am facing the reality that RCS may be my best option, for a variety of reasons. I am a natural, AP, babywearing, bedsharing, selective vaxing, cloth diaper using, unschooling, multiple miscarriage suffering, infertility struggling mama who has limited choices. I am not pro c-section.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#2 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM

I'm sorry that you're not feeling heard. I haven't read the thread you mentioned, so I won't comment. I did want to suggest that you look into the possibility of having one of the traveling midwives come to you. I know that has been an option for people in the past.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That's a really great suggestion. I have looked into it, but it costs a lot to pay for their traveling expenses. I would also have to find one who would cross state lines. To complicate things further, I don't think I would feel comfortable unless I saw that person regularly for prenatal appointments and developed a relationship with them, and to do so would be impossibly expensive.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#4 of 4 Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I want to thank the amazing and supportive mamas who have pm'd me and who started this thread in Questions and Suggestions:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1334180/c-birth-c-section-surgical-birth-forum-request

grouphug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page