How did your baby enter this world? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How did your baby enter this world?
Caesarean Birth 15 100.00%
Vaginal Birth, with some form of medical intervention (pitocin, pain meds, forceps, ect.) 16 100.00%
Vaginal Birth, without any interventions 16 100.00%
Vaginal Birth at home 21 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the levels of interventions on a near constant rise, I'm wondering how many people here at MDC actually do have an intervention free childbirth. Many moms here at MDC are interested in having a forum for surgical births, and I would venture to say that there are a lot more moms who have experienced this than we think. I added "Vaginal birth at home" because MDC does have a pretty high rate of women who have successful homebirths. That is awesome, but Im really interested to see how many MDC moms have natural vaginal births in the hospital vs. how many MDC moms wind up with some sort of intervention when they go to the hospital.

Please, feel free to comment or remain anonymous about your experience. You can vote as many times as you want, so please vote for each of your births.Also, if you feel l have left off an important choice, please say so and I will edit the poll.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM

1st - Vaginal w/ interventions

2nd - Vaginal w/ interventions

3rd - Vaginal, no interventions, at hospital

4th & 5th - Unassisted at home

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#3 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks for starting this poll. I'll be interested to see the results.

In terms of c-section, it might be useful to see scheduled c-section vs. unplanned c-section. Or maybe that just muddies the waters.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#4 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM

irked.gif The results are going to be skewed, I think, if you have multiple similar births. At least I can't figure out how to vote the same option more than once? (Hence the irked face.)

#1--Medically necessary induction resulting in every intervention but a c/s.

#2--Unplanned but non-emergent c/s.

#3--Vaginal w/ interventions (epidural, AROM)

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Homebirth transfer to hospital birth, vaginal with interventions

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#6 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post

irked.gif The results are going to be skewed, I think, if you have multiple similar births. At least I can't figure out how to vote the same option more than once? (Hence the irked face.)

#1--Medically necessary induction resulting in every intervention but a c/s.

#2--Unplanned but non-emergent c/s.

#3--Vaginal w/ interventions (epidural, AROM)

Hmmm, I dont know how to make this possible.

UnassistedMama, were you able to vote for the same thing twice (I notice that you had two vaginal births with interventions).

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 PM

All three of mine were born vaginally at home, with no complications, so add two more votes in that column for me.

#8 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM

I don't know how this will turn out, either.  I had 4 births.  2 of those were inductions and I had my 3rd at a hospital and ended up with an epidural and had my 4th at home.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#9 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, crap. I cant edit the poll either, to give the option of "2 Vaginal births without intervention" or anything like that either. IDK how the poll will work out then.

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Both were born at home, waterbirths, no interventions. Planning the same for any future children.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

Baby #1 was born via cesarean after a rushed, failed induction due to PIH/pre-e.

Baby #2 was a home waterbirth VBAC.

Baby #3 was also a home waterbirth VBAC.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#12 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 02:35 PM

#1:  vaginal after induction

#2:  c-section after induction

Didn't vote in the poll because I didn't want to omit one of my children.

Adaline'smama, thanks for getting this ball rolling.

ETA:  OP:  do you want to make a new poll to include more options?  I think the poll is going to get many more responses if there are more choices.  Just a thought.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#13 of 31 Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
All three of mine were vaginal, no interventions. I do a CNM in the hospital.
#14 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Hmmm, I dont know how to make this possible.
UnassistedMama, were you able to vote for the same thing twice (I notice that you had two vaginal births with interventions).

No, I just ticked the 3 that applied, and then explained in the post. :)

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#15 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Is there another way to set up the poll on a new thread?  I'm not sure how it would work.  I suppose you could just do numbers of c/s vs numbers of vag births.

I.E.:  How many vaginal births have you had (List Options 1,2,3, - 10)

How many c/s sections have you had (List Options  1,2,3,-10)

That would give you sheer numbers rather than breaking down homebirths, interventions, etc.  Are we just trying to find the number of active posters who have c/s to show the admins that a C/S forum is warranted?

#16 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Mine was a natural childbirth in a hospital the day after a failed induction-- cervidil insert fell out way too early, I was given the option of having pitocin or leaving, I left.  Came back the next day when I went into labor spontaneously, and had a totally normal birth.

I did have my water broken for me but am never sure whether that counts as an intervention or not.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#17 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM

1st - induction epidural hospital

2nd- homebirth./waterbirth w/ mw

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#18 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There's a thread somewhere called 'How was the birth of your first?' with a poll that might be relevant for the OP's question.  It gives more of a population sample  since each person can only vote once.

FWIW I had one hospital birth with no interventions (arrived pushing) and one accidental unassisted homebirth (planned for hospital but went too fast)..

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#19 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've had 1 that was vaginal with no intervention in the hospital and 3 at home with no issues. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#20 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM

I could only vote once, but all 4 of mine were born via c-section (unwanted c-sections, I feel compelled to add).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#21 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Well I hope this doesn't bother Adaline's Mama because I'm not trying to derail this thread.  But I'm going to start another poll with just the numbers.  Then we can see the numbers and not focus on the specific "hows" and "whys" of each birth.

#22 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
but Im really interested to see how many MDC moms have natural vaginal births in the hospital vs. how many MDC moms wind up with some sort of intervention when they go to the hospital.

I'm guessing this isn't what was intended, (OP, I've read many of your posts and I find you to be a thoughtful and very respectful poster!) but I find the phrasing of "wind up with some sort of intervention when they go to the hospital" a little disrespectful and it's one I commonly hear both on MDC and IRL. I had a vaginal birth at a hospital with interventions, but I don't feel like I "wound up" with them. I feel like my DP and I thoughtfully chose the medical interventions and our decisions were based on worsening preeclampsia as well as complications due to severe vomiting throughout the pregnancy. I continue to practice natural family living and AP and be an advocate of natural childbirth AND I am also grateful to have access to compassionate, respectful, and skilled medical care. (I'm aware that many mamas in the US and around the global don't have access to medical care that is even one of those three, let alone all three and I hope to see the day where all people will have that kind of care when needed!)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#23 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

#1 - unmedicated vaginal birth in hospital with midwives, post herbal induction/AROM for pre-e after planned homebirth

#2 - attempted homebirth resulting in transfer, epidural, oxytocin then c-section due to third stage arrest of labour and baby positioning not conducive to vaginal birth

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#24 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 PM

I had a c-section and two HBACs.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#25 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My first two were homebirths with a midwife, no interventions. My third was born about 20 minutes before my midwife arrived.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#26 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DS1 was born in a hospital with no interventions, though I had to repeatedly refuse them.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#27 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM

#1 - vaginal birth, pit augmented (though not induced); no pain meds or other interventions

#2 - homebirth

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#28 of 31 Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Hmm...my first was in a hospital, and because of positioning and the no food/drink rule, wound up with pain meds (no epidural).  My second was in the hospital, but with a very crunchy midwife who, uhm, shut the door.  My third and fourth were at home.  #2-4 were no interventions.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#29 of 31 Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

I'm guessing this isn't what was intended, (OP, I've read many of your posts and I find you to be a thoughtful and very respectful poster!) but I find the phrasing of "wind up with some sort of intervention when they go to the hospital" a little disrespectful and it's one I commonly hear both on MDC and IRL. I had a vaginal birth at a hospital with interventions, but I don't feel like I "wound up" with them. I feel like my DP and I thoughtfully chose the medical interventions and our decisions were based on worsening preeclampsia as well as complications due to severe vomiting throughout the pregnancy. I continue to practice natural family living and AP and be an advocate of natural childbirth AND I am also grateful to have access to compassionate, respectful, and skilled medical care. (I'm aware that many mamas in the US and around the global don't have access to medical care that is even one of those three, let alone all three and I hope to see the day where all people will have that kind of care when needed!)

Good point. You are correct, I wasnt meaning to be offensive. I agree that there are many medical reasons to have interventions, but we do have to look at the fact that there are also a lot of people that agree to one intervention (just to get things going" and then you often see several more to follow that wouldnt have been needed if the first one hadnt been done. But, I guess "wound up with" isnt the most sensitive way to say it, you are right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

Well I hope this doesn't bother Adaline's Mama because I'm not trying to derail this thread.  But I'm going to start another poll with just the numbers.  Then we can see the numbers and not focus on the specific "hows" and "whys" of each birth.

Not at all, Ill pm a mod and ask them to close this thread so that we dont have two polls going and more people will vote on the one we can actually count. I was interested in making the point that I would venture to say that the majority of us who go to the hospital do not get a 100% natural childbirth, but I think its more important to have an accurate poll about sections vs. vaginal, IMO. I was offline yesterday, so I just saw this smile.gif

SIDS happens. 

#30 of 31 Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
 I was interested in making the point that I would venture to say that the majority of us who go to the hospital do not get a 100% natural childbirth, but I think its more important to have an accurate poll about sections vs. vaginal, IMO.

I think this is an important point.  I did read yesterday where a mom said they broke her water but wasn't sure if that was really an intervention.  So I know the debate isn't vaginal vs. c/s in quality of birth experiences at all!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page