Experience with Intraveneous Pain Relief during Labour ie: Pethidine, Fentanyl, Diamorphine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by orvis View Post

Ok I'll check out the link but I don't think I can afford the hypnobabies thing.

Hypnobabies has two different options....you can take a class (variable rate by region) or do the home study (fixed rate of $145, but 20% off this weekend only through their facebook store).  In your case, I'd really recommend the class.  Many instructors offer scholarships for families in need.  Don't let the price deter you from Hypnobabies!  It's worth it. 

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#32 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well I was sent a link to get some sort of free torrent but I don't want to sighn up for the torrent service, and I can not afford anything right now at all.  I am very weary of accepting charity from others and I just won't feel like its ok to get a 'scholarship' for such a thing. 

#33 of 41 Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll1285 View Post

I tell all my doula clients and expecting friends, if you want a medicated birth, get an epidural.  DO NOT use IV drugs.  They do not help with labor pains (with my ds, I couldn't stay awake between ctx but I'd wake up screaming at the peaks).  They do have very negative side effects for baby and mom (my ds was in distress and I lost consciousness after every push).  They are bad news.  In comparison to IV drugs, an epidural is not that bad.  

With my first, I went from 0-7 VERY quickly (was given pitocin) and it was horrible.  I really didn't want an epidural, so I tried the Fentanyl first.  They told me up front that it wouldn't really take away the pain but I'd care a lot less about it.  So I tried it.  They were right:  it didn't TOUCH the pain, all it did was make me loopy as heck.  I ended up with an epidural and it was the sweetest relief ever.  I know you're worried about getting it, but I honestly didn't even feel them doing it.  I think it did slow my labor down a bit, but I could really rest and relax so I didn't mind.  Despite the epi and the Fentanyl, DS had no bad side effects whatsoever.  He was born alert and active with great apgars and nursed wonderfully from the start.

With my second, my labor was lightning fast -- about 45 minutes from the time the contractions started to get uncomfortable -- so there was no time for anything.  And you know what?  It was great.  I was able to push her out in 6 minutes (2.5 hours with DS) and I was up and walking around within 20 minutes (whereas with DS I still had some trouble moving my legs the next morning!).

If I had to do it over again, I might get another epidural if I felt I needed it, but I wouldn't even consider IV pain relief.

#34 of 41 Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 AM

I was a homebirth transfer and the hospital refused to give me an epidural (too lazy to call the anesthesiologist in). Needing something, I accepted IV narcotics and it was awful. I blacked out and have no memory of this, but apparently I was running around the room with every contraction, completely uncoordinated and barely aware of my surroundings. DH had to chase after me to unplug me from the fetal monitor and get the IV pole in range so I didn't tear out my IV. I could go into more detail, but it was awful. I will NEVER accept IV medication for labor again.

Stay away from the IV drugs, seriously.

Edit: They gave me nubain and phenergan. I think my reaction was primarily to the phenergan as I've had that independently (hyperemesis) and it is the most evil drug known to man.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#35 of 41 Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

I was a homebirth transfer and the hospital refused to give me an epidural (too lazy to call the anesthesiologist in). Needing something, I accepted IV narcotics and it was awful. I blacked out and have no memory of this, but apparently I was running around the room with every contraction, completely uncoordinated and barely aware of my surroundings. DH had to chase after me to unplug me from the fetal monitor and get the IV pole in range so I didn't tear out my IV. I could go into more detail, but it was awful. I will NEVER accept IV medication for labor again.

Stay away from the IV drugs, seriously.

Edit: They gave me nubain and phenergan. I think my reaction was primarily to the phenergan as I've had that independently (hyperemesis) and it is the most evil drug known to man.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#36 of 41 Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypRN View Post

I'm a labor and delivery nurse (9 years) and I can tell you that IV narcotics don't do much at all for pain.  What they do, do is make you care about the pain a little less since you are sleepy and somewhat drugged.  Most women are able to sleep between the contractions but then wake-up with a contraction and feel the pain though it takes the edge off and you are groggy.  While (and after) you receive a narcotic you have to be on continuous monitoring for your own vital signs and the baby's heart rate (yes its serious stuff!).  The narcotics do effect your baby but the effects usually wear off before birth (if there is enough time).  For this reason narcotics are not usually administered after 7cm or so because the baby could be born with respiratory depression.

Orvis - Have you considered a non-pharaceutical method of pain relief like hypnosis?  I used Hypnobabies for my last birth and it worked amazingly well!  I felt no pain until transition and while transition was intense, it was manageable and I had my sweet boy a short while later.  I know hypnosis can sound really "out there" but it is actually very easy to do.  If you would like to read some stories about Hypnobabies births you can go here: http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/POSITIVE_birth_stories.htm

I too am a labor and delivery nurse, and HypRN's experiences are exactly the same as mine when it comes to IV pain relief for my clients.

The mama's who elect for IV pain medications usually end up groggy, tired, and still feeling every.single.contraction, but then they forget that they felt them until the next one hits.  We too do not give IV meds after 7 cm of dilation, and often not after 6 cm in multi-gravidas due to the risk of respiratory depression in the infant.  Our greater concern is for the health of mom and baby rather than mom's comfort in the later part of labor.  Generally, IV meds will be refused if the baby is not tolerating labor perfectly (meaning, the fetal monitoring strip is class 1 - reactive, moderate variability, reassuring accelerations, no variables, no periods of minimal variability, even during sleep cycles, no late decelerations, etc.)

Just to consider - your IV drug of choice may not be available at the hospital you deliver at, or may not be one your physician or RN is willing to give you, as each drug has specific benefits, risks and side-effects that will be balanced against how you are laboring and how the baby is responding to labor.  eg. stadol AND phenergan to an anxious and in pain mom whose anxiety may be causing some of her pain; morphine to a mom with simple contraction-peak pain with a baby with an excellent tolerance of labor.

I too studied hypnobabies for my last birth, but did not find it very useful...I ended up getting an epidural after 15+ hours of active labor with minimal progress and a cranky OB, and I'm glad I did, though I too was terrified of the big but rare risks it included (none of which I experienced, thank God!)

#37 of 41 Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

I am worried about not getting the iv medication because I am too much into the labour and too dialated.  From what I have read, Fetanyl (i know not spelled right but I can't look it up right now)

Has the least risk of respirtory depression to the infant.  I don't want to put the baby in any danger, but I also know that I do not handle the pain of labour well.

#38 of 41 Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM

I didn't read many of the previous posts, so sorry if I am repeating what others have said.  I had some fentanyl during my labor (no epidural until after I had pushed for over 2 hours, the baby hadn't descended at all, and I needed a c-section - he was almost 10 lbs).  I can't say it really took away too much pain for me, but it did really help me to relax which is what I really needed!  My entire labor felt like one long intense contraction, and I just wasn't getting any breaks in between.  Everyone always told me to rest between contractions, that they would be a nice break, but it just didn't happen that way for me.  I was having pain between contractions!  They were so long and so close together, mentally I was more beaten down than anything...  But then my midwife suggested some fentanyl try to slow my ctx down and give me a bit of a break, and I liked it.  If on a scale of 0-10, my worst pain was a 9 then the fentanyl took it probably to an 8, but it took away the pain between contractions and helped me to relax.  Yes, it did make me groggy, but I could sort of sleep/zone out a little in between.  It gave me the mental break that I needed to help avoid an epidural.  Definitely I still had pain, don't get me wrong, it still hurt (!) but I didn't really care as much that it hurt.  It was like I was there, and I felt the pain, I knew it hurt, but I felt like I could just relax at least a little and ride it out.  I have heard otherwise from other people.  Other women that I know that have used narcotics said they hated them!  Their experience was that they fell asleep in between and then woke up to the pain of contractions, they were gorked out, groggy, etc.  Wasn't like that for me.  If I need some help in future labors, I will likely do fentanyl again over an epidural. But, I guess what I really want to get across is that the difference the fentanyl made for me wasn't helping with the pain, it was helping me deal with it.  If you are looking for actual pain relief, you had best look elsewhere! 

Oh, and my son didn't have any respiratory depression, wasn't groggy at all.  Actually he was incredibly alert, breastfed well, and was a pretty vigorous guy.  My last dose of fentanyl was when I was getting my epidural for the c-section and he did fine.  Fentanyl is a fast on/ fast off drug.  It really only lasts about half an hour or so, so it is a pretty good choice to try to avoid respiratory depression. HTH!

Vegetarian, breastfeeding, cloth diapering and EC'ing mama to my bare-foot, TV-free, free-range toddler and loving it!!!

#39 of 41 Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvis View Post

I am worried about not getting the iv medication because I am too much into the labour and too dialated.  From what I have read, Fetanyl (i know not spelled right but I can't look it up right now)

Has the least risk of respirtory depression to the infant.  I don't want to put the baby in any danger, but I also know that I do not handle the pain of labour well.

Fentanyl is shown via studies to have fewer respiratory effects on the neonate if given earlier on in labor, but high/frequent dosing will still cause respiratory depression.

However, because it's also a sedative, some hospitals require EKG and oxygen saturation monitoring while it's in your system : (  which further restricts your ability to use movement to cope with pain.

It's also anecdotally reported to interfere with breastfeeding due to sleepy baby and shallow latch.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your decision, I just want you to make sure you are fully informed of whatever it is you choose to use for pain relief, as everything has both risks and benefits, and people often try to play up the benefits of what they like and downplay the risks, ya know?

On that note, an anxious and distressed mama in labor also has risks, because she will likely not be providing enough oxygen to her baby to enable to baby to tolerate labor well, which can lead to it's own cascade of interventions.

#40 of 41 Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

#41 of 41 Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM

I had a single injection of pethidine (or at least, I think it was just one) pushed on me by my midwife.  As soon as I got to the hospital, she told me that she "likes to give it to everyone," and since it wasn't a name I was familiar with, I thought maybe it wasn't that bad, a kind of midwife secret.  And she was horribly pressuring.  I wasn't even feeling that bad, and was handling pain through breathing and tapping my toes (lol, that's how I handle pain).  

It was awful.  I went from energetic and my normal self, to loopy and out of control and not being able to open my eyes...and it had NO effect on how I felt the pain at all.  

I ended up being put under for a c-section after five hours of pushing because of failure to progress, and the doctor later told me that he caused a lot of tearing on my uterus because the baby was difficult to get out, and because of that, he doesn't recommend a vaginal birth for me next time.  (But that's really another topic for another thread.)   

I really feel that circumstances could have been different had I not had the pethidine.  Maybe it would have ended up the same, but at least I would have felt like I was making the decision to have a c-section myself, and that I could have been a better pusher if I had been not drugged up.

Like you, I didn't want an epidural because of my mother's urging, and I still don't think I'd want one, but if I wanted pain relief, I would choose a different route than pethidine because of my own personal experience.  I will not go down that route again! 

I would have much rathered that they gave me an epidural for pain relief and rest than just cut me open though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page