Stripping membranes to help avoid c/s? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Quick question: should I let my dr strip my membranes tomorrow (40w by their dates, 40w5d by mine) in an effort to avoid a c-section?

I have a section booked for next Monday Nov 28th (41w by their dates) as I had a section for my son (due to facial/brow presentation) and where I am they won't induce with a previous section or let you go past 41w.

I know not everyone is a fan of having membranes stripped (and it might not do anything), but if it possibly helps me avoid a c/s, does that make it worth a try?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
#2 of 4 Old 11-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Personally, I am all for membrane stripping once you are full term  (especially in the situation you are describing). If they will "let" you, I would make an appointment for later in the week to do the same thing again. 

If done correctly, stripping your membranes will only put you in labor if you are ready to go.  I had mine stripped twice with DS (to not go too far over, we were planning a homebirth) and had DS within 24 hours of the 2nd time.

#3 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM

I had my membranes stripped several times with no effect in my first pregnancy.  It was uncomfortable and did nothing but cause me to bleed and cramp-- BUT, I'm not at all sorry I tried it and will try it again this time if I'm getting close to 42 weeks and nothing's happening.  It is, in my mind, SUCH a mild intervention.  Worst case scenario is pretty much that it won't work... in which case, you're not any worse off than you already were.

Good luck! 

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#4 of 4 Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

Worst case scenario is pretty much that it won't work... in which case, you're not any worse off than you already were.

Good luck! 

Actually worst case scenario is that they accidently rupture your membranes, and then you're on the clock, perhaps without labor starting... leading to an induction.

Keep in mind though that they may say they won't 'let' you go past 41 weeks, but they also can't force you into a c-section. They may book it, but if baby is still doing fine, there's no reason you can't decline it. They can't force surgery on someone without their consent. 

That said, I'm pretty low intervention, but if I were in a position where I was already full term and they were starting to be very forceful about a c-section, then yes, I might consent. As others said, in terms of interventions, it is pretty low key. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page