C section at 25 weeks? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 04-15-2004, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gossamer, I am once again so, so sorry. It sounds like they treated you poorly from the start. When will these people learn? I was counseled a bit more on my weight in my first pg (I was automatically high risk because of it, and was consequently stressed because of that, but I had no choice of dr's due to the military), but was still encouraged to gain, they just sent me to a nutritionist: to make sure I was eating healthy. I was also veg at the time, so that freaked them out a bit, kept the focus there I think instead of my weight, they were worried I wasn't eating enough! My second pg, my dr was/is so wonderful. When I had ms, they were concerned because I wasn't gaining much. With both pg, I was back to pre pg weight within a week, after the swelling had gone away.

Greaseball, I know that my Mom was encouraged to not gain more than about 10 lbs, so perhaps it is a generational thing? I don't think she was overweight at the time. I think the key is good common sense all around--25lbs of weight gain from twinkies is not a good thing, but 25lbs from healthy food shouldn't be a problem, YK? I think lack of respect is a big issue as well, many dr's assume women are overweight because of lack of willpower or something and treat them rudely as a result.
#32 of 40 Old 04-15-2004, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by queencarr
Greaseball, I know that my Mom was encouraged to not gain more than about 10 lbs, so perhaps it is a generational thing? I don't think she was overweight at the time. I think the key is good common sense all around--25lbs of weight gain from twinkies is not a good thing, but 25lbs from healthy food shouldn't be a problem, YK? I think lack of respect is a big issue as well, many dr's assume women are overweight because of lack of willpower or something and treat them rudely as a result.
This was in 1990. Again, I don't know exactly what went wrong or what she was told, but I think it must have been pre-e; why else would they do a c-section that early?

I think some doctors today still believe that a fetus can live off maternal fat stores, and that what matters the most is the number of pounds gained and not the quality of the mother's food.

I read something from one woman who has a c/s against her will and the whole time, the doctor was complaining about how hard it was to do a c/s on an overweight woman.
#33 of 40 Old 04-15-2004, 10:56 PM

Who knows...
#34 of 40 Old 04-16-2004, 10:30 AM

I always feel skeptical and weird when I hear someone say that their doctor told them not to gain any weight while pregnant because they're already overweight. First of all, you need to eat to grow a baby, not cut back on calories! And then, when you break down the typical weight gain, you see that not that much of it is fat anyway. You've got 7-9 pounds of baby, 2 pounds of placenta, 2 pounds of amniotic fluid, 2 pounds of uterus, 4 pounds of blood, not to mention retained water and huge breasts that add up to another few pounds! In order to stay at your pre-pregnancy weight, you'd have to diet off 15-20 pounds while pregnant! I know there are problems caused by being overweight. But it just doesn't seem right to effectively lose weight while you're pregnant.

Just for disclosure purposes, I am not overweight. I am 5'9", 151 pounds- 2 pounds less than before my first pregnancy. But I gained 45 pounds with my daughter, and my midwife had no problem with that.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#35 of 40 Old 04-17-2004, 05:29 AM

Another PreE person here. I had PIH. Gradually my blood pressure was getting higher, but nothing else was wrong, so my doctor did nothing.
At 34 weeks, I had been short winded for months, and I started getting hot and sweaty after doing so much as getting up to walk to the bathroom. I got severe migranes that didn't go away with anything but chocolate [go figure!] and even then, they kept coming back. I did see spots for one day, but I kept it easy, laid back with my feet up and drank tons of water.
When I had my appointment that week, my blood pressure was 2something over 150! It was absurdly ridiculously high. They made me lay down for 5 minutes and checked again. STill high. Then they laid me on my side and waited again. Still high. I was sent to the hospital for blood work and my doctor had no choice but to send me to Phoenix to have my baby due to lack of NICU at our hospital. In her opinion, my baby should have been taken out right then.
I was on magnesium sulfate for 3 days. It was the worst 3 days of my life! I was on complete bedrest for the first day, then I was allowed bathroom priveleges but that was it. On the 4th day they took me off the mag and made me walk around. Surprise, surprise my blood pressure went through the roof. They put me back on bedrest, but since I was almost 35 weeks, they wanted to send me home.
With all that trouble, they weren't monitoring my urine [they thought it was just PIH] and surprise surprise, a blood test showed problems with my kidneys..they were failing. I talked them into inducing me, but during labor, your blood pressure rises, and having this condition makes it downright dangerous to have that happen. [A woman on one of my pregnancy boards at the time had a pre e seizure and was in a coma for 2 weeks.] So I was on pitocin, which makes your uterus contract, yet had to be on mag, which forces your muscles to relax to keep your blood pressure down. Not a good combination. After almost 12 hours, I was still at a 5, my daughter's heart rate dropped dangerously low [the 30s] and I had an emergency C-Section.
My daughter also suffered mild IUGR as she was only 4 1/2 pounds, but was healthier than most full term newborns. She had problems regulating her temperature, and didn't know how to eat, but after 3 days, she was fine.

Pre-Eclampsia is a deadly condition for both mother and baby. If the baby is taken too early it could die, but if the baby is taken too late, the mother could die.
It's kind of hard to prevent it or fix it, when they aren't even sure what causes it. Basically, they say, it's like our bodies are allergic to our babies..or our bodies just don't like being pregnant.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#36 of 40 Old 04-23-2004, 12:28 AM

I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same lady or not...but the one I saw was prego with twins and refused surgery because she didnt want a scar...thats it, the only reason. And her baby died, the other one did live.
from what I read she was "slow" if you know what I mean
#37 of 40 Old 04-23-2004, 07:10 PM

Actually, that is another issue. And the woman has denied saying that. She had two previous c-sections, so the accusation that she didn't want a scar seems unlikely. Check out the activism forum, there's more there on this subject. It is an extremely strange situation, and there definately is something not being told, on both sides of the issue. Something is rotten in Utah.

I don't know if she was "slow" but it sounds like she had some mental illness issues and had fallen through the radar.

Lori
#38 of 40 Old 04-23-2004, 10:02 PM

Gossamer

There is so much about your story that is similar to mine, only it happened to me at 35 weeks. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't express gratitude from the depths of my soul that my body was able to hold on that long!

When I was induced my liver was inflamed and causing me pain far, far beyond the pain of the pitocin contractions. I had been taking herbs and vitamins as per my midwife's suggestion for weeks. I had been on high protein since the moment I found out I was pregnant. I had been on bedrest for several weeks. I educated myself like crazy, took bradley classes, and consulted with every type of healer I could find. It still wasn't enough, I became very ill with pre-eclampsia. I was told that the baby was still doing well, but I was seriously ill and it was time to induce. My daughter was 5lbs 11oz but healthy, thank God.

I am a firm believer in nutritional healing, and the Brewer diet, along with bradley childbirth instruction, but it isn't a cure-all, as many ppl believe. Sometimes we do our very best and we still get sick.

flowersforyou.gif

#39 of 40 Old 04-25-2004, 03:01 AM

Hi there

Just got word that my good friend is in hospital for emergency csection due to her low blood pressure, dizziness and kidney problem. Not sure if its preclamsia. Her baby is 28 weeks.

She really wanted to be able to nurse her baby. Can anyone tell me how preemies can nurse? Not sure if mother will need to take medication after operation to treat her kidney...perhaps she can pump and dump until she can nurse baby?

I have seen preemies fed breastmilk thru eye dropper. any other tips??

Thanks. I want to have lots of info on hand so I can offer my friend when I visit her. First thing that she is in good condition.

Thanks for all your help
#40 of 40 Old 04-26-2004, 02:26 PM

our little one wasn't that early but there were others in the NICU that were. what out hospital did is the mother pumped and they feed the baby whatever way they were doing (some bottle, some tubes) and if they felt they needed more they topped with formula (this i didn't agree with but that is a whole other rant ) they seemed to allow the parents to nurse as soon as the babies were stable (though i think the babies would have done better having the close contactright from the beginning). have your friend rent a hospital grade pump and she will have to pump at the same rate a newborn would nurse (every 1 - 2 hours all day long) to get up a supply.

good luck to them

tara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page