Orgasmic Birth.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just watched this documentary, was not at all what I thought it would be, and has actually empowered me with the decision to home birth, I feel a lot more confident about my decision than I had before watching this, was wondering if anyone else has watched it and what there thoughts where...

:) be well all...

I promise not to set your words in stone as I realise change is the key to our throne.

#2 of 14 Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 AM

I´ve seen it and liked it a lot, it was a bit different than I expected, I thought it would be more on the "ecstatic" "orgasmic" birth part, but felt that it was more on "natural" birth, which was alright, I just wanted to have more information on the actual ecstatic part. :) 

I watched it with my DH and that was brilliant. It helps them to understand I guess, guys are visual, aren´t they? He loved it, and got really excited. 

Did you think that the delivery in the e.r. was a bit of weird? I mean they showed up to tell about there "really nice" birth and than it was a delivery in the e.r. But that was the only part I did not like. 

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#3 of 14 Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I think like you said, it just sold home birth to me more than ecstatic birth lol I am still trying to get my boyfriend to watch it, but he is put off by the orgasmic part.

I liked the fact it gave so much information, statistically of how technology has taken over naturality.

The hospital bit just made me convinced that is not where I want to be to have my second child. My first child was a hospital delivery and it was thirty hours of distress for us both. So agreed on that part for sure, was sad.

That film made me feel powerful and definitely like I can easily achieve this at home. Not so bothered about having an orgasm lol but definitely think that labour should be private, and in a loving secure environment. this time around the midwife will be my guest, I shall not be hers.

Thank you for replying to me Triniity :D

I promise not to set your words in stone as I realise change is the key to our throne.

#4 of 14 Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM

I had a hospital birth, wanted to be safe with my first, and I was able to have an all natural birth, I wouldn't call the birth orgasmic, buy it was an ultimate high, the first words out of my mouth were "that was easy!" and I remember the midwife and my ob laughing, we were the only ones in the room, it was almost perfect.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#5 of 14 Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds blissful Cassandraz :) 

#6 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 PM

I've heard about this movie a few times recently, and have one big question for anyone who's seen it:

Will it make me feel more guilty for having a hospital birth? I tried so hard for months and months to be able to be able to have a home birth, or use a birthing center, but the nearest midwife to me is 4 hours away and military insurance won't let me have a home birth or choose my own care provider. I was devastated when I finally told DH that he didn't have to worry, I'd deliver in a hospital, but that I expected him to education himself to help me fight to protect myself and out baby.

I've armed myself with information, and am as prepared as I can get, and plan on laboring at home as long as possible. I love documentaries, and am very interested in this movie, but I don't want to watch it if it's just going to make me feel like crap for being in the place I am.

Thanks

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#7 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayN View Post

I've heard about this movie a few times recently, and have one big question for anyone who's seen it:

Will it make me feel more guilty for having a hospital birth? I tried so hard for months and months to be able to be able to have a home birth, or use a birthing center, but the nearest midwife to me is 4 hours away and military insurance won't let me have a home birth or choose my own care provider. I was devastated when I finally told DH that he didn't have to worry, I'd deliver in a hospital, but that I expected him to education himself to help me fight to protect myself and out baby.

I've armed myself with information, and am as prepared as I can get, and plan on laboring at home as long as possible. I love documentaries, and am very interested in this movie, but I don't want to watch it if it's just going to make me feel like crap for being in the place I am.

Thanks

I don't know much about the movie, but I wanted to chime in to say that if you want a MW and use the Tricare system, you need to switch from Tricare Prime to Standard. If you do a search here, you'll see a lot of threads about it. :)

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#8 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyGirl View Post

I don't know much about the movie, but I wanted to chime in to say that if you want a MW and use the Tricare system, you need to switch from Tricare Prime to Standard. If you do a search here, you'll see a lot of threads about it. :)

Thank you much, and I did find that out, but we still live 4 hours away from any midwives, and adding up costs of gas and travel, and then having to drive that while in labor. And the 2 birthing centers in OKC said I'd have to pay in full upfront and then hope tricare would me, only one of them has had success once with having tricare reimburse a customer. Also, if I did change to tricare standard and ended up in the ER, they would not cover an ER visit.

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#9 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 AM

This movie was so freaking cool.....I think it did a better job that The Business of Being Born at exploring birth, what natural birth is and why the hospital can fall so short of natural birth if a mama goes in not knowing what to expect or what she even wants out of birth.  I don't know...it's been a long time since I've viewed TBOBB and I watched Orgasmic Birth last night, so maybe that's skewing things for me....but this was really, really very good.

I wish they'd named it something different...it's not really about orgasmic birth and I think more people would watch it if it weren't named that, you know? Anyway...VERY good...$1.99 on Amazon instant view. VERY good.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#10 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Thank you much, and I did find that out, but we still live 4 hours away from any midwives, and adding up costs of gas and travel, and then having to drive that while in labor. And the 2 birthing centers in OKC said I'd have to pay in full upfront and then hope tricare would me, only one of them has had success once with having tricare reimburse a customer. Also, if I did change to tricare standard and ended up in the ER, they would not cover an ER visit.

Ah, I see. That is definitely understandable!

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#11 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 AM

I would think it would empower you to believe that you can birth naturally any where. Make sure you prepare. Do relaxation exercises, have a basic birth plan and make the nurses read it in front of you, bring your stuff (pillow, blanket, pjs) to the hospital so it feels like your space, and most importantly... read up on the ACOG guidelines and standards and know your right re: electronic monitoring, moving out of bed, using the tub, and episiotomy. Make sure you are clear with your dr ahead of time about agreement on indications for assisted/ surgical delivery. 

And remember there can be upsides to hospital delivery: no mess to clean up after, no laundry, you don't have to keep your house clean beforehand, there will be nurses to help you to the bathroom and change the baby if you need it, some nurses are really great with breastfeeding support, and they bring you hot food and have an endless supply of warmed blankets.

I had always wanted a home birth, and was able to have one, but as student midwife I saw some really nice hospital births too that made me understand why some people prefer it. I do like the idea of being waited on, your husband will do it, but he's tired too (though not a much as you and he's not allowed to complain : ) and it can be nice to just have that time with the three of you. Hope everything goes well for you!

Quote:

Thanks

#12 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM

I agree with silversparrow. It is not guilt inducing at all. (At least that´s they way I felt) It if very empowering. 

And I had a hospital birth and it was really beautiful, I mean the birth part of it was quite wild, but all natural except the induction. And my DH was able to stay over night with our beds pushed together and the baby in my bed and it was really, really nice, the nicest post partum hours of all my birth, because DH was not dead tired (birth was only 1 hour) and DH had time to stay with us. We ordered pizza right after birth and ate it in bed...it was so nice and calm and everything. Even though it was in a hospital room. 

Good luck for you!

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#13 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

I agree with silversparrow. It is not guilt inducing at all. (At least that´s they way I felt) It if very empowering. 

And I had a hospital birth and it was really beautiful, I mean the birth part of it was quite wild, but all natural except the induction. And my DH was able to stay over night with our beds pushed together and the baby in my bed and it was really, really nice, the nicest post partum hours of all my birth, because DH was not dead tired (birth was only 1 hour) and DH had time to stay with us. We ordered pizza right after birth and ate it in bed...it was so nice and calm and everything. Even though it was in a hospital room. 

Good luck for you!

I'm so happy you had this experience. <3 <3

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#14 of 14 Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for replying, it is nice to know you have all had some wonderful experiences.

BroodyWoodsgal I agree the name orgasm birth is a bit, hmmm, made me feel 'wrong?' lol whether that is stereo forming for you or not, who knows.

I am glad those of you who hospital birthed enjoyed it and I am sure with confident staff who are intuitive and passionate about their role, it can go beautifuly.

I am very lucky to have a supportive boyfriend and wonderful wonderful friend on stand by.

I am sure whatever happens for you RayN it will go as you wish, just as silver sparrow highlighted (thank you) the fact if we home birth or hospital birth we have to be certain of our choices and those around us have to know them too. My friend the other day said, so I need to know your every wish so we can respect it, I had not even thought of being so directive with my plan lol as I am sure there will be moments where I may even forget.

Be well all and much gratitude for your responses.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page