I am working on my final paper for my BSN and I am chosing to do my final paper for my BSN on the physiological and psychological needs, including demographics of women who choose homebirth as an option. If you would please answer some basic questions-you can PM them to me or email me at [email protected] I would really appreciate it. Even if you chose homebirth but ended up transferring, please answer if you are so inclined to do so. Thanks so much in advance.
1. How old were you with each of your homebirths or homebirths that transferred (Please do not include any planned hospital birth)
2. Tell me 3 or more reasons why you chose homebirth.
3. What about having a homebirth helped you with any physical and/or psychological needs.
I really appreciate it!
20yo DS, 7yo DD, almost 2 yo DD, 1yo GDD
Do you still need replies?
1. I was 32 when my 2nd son was born at home.
2. The biggest reason we chose homebirth was the cost. We (and all the other members of our health care plan) shouldn't have to pay for a hospital stay for a healthy mom & babe when homebirth with a good midwife is just as safe. Second reason was comfort - my first was born in a hospital, and I did [i]not [/i]like my hospital stay. It seemed that every time I got my baby and myself to sleep, a nurse would wake us up coming to take my or his stats. Third reason was that I thought homebirth was my best chance of having a low-intervention but safe birth.
3. Being at home I was able to care for my older son, who was still young enough he had trouble going to sleep for anyone but me. I was also able to have him present, waking him just in time to see the birth. As for physical needs, I was cold during my labors - at the hospital I dealt by burrowing in the bed (which probably contributed to my stalled labor), but at home I was able to crank up the space heater to get at least the one room I was birthing in really warm.
Married to C August 2007. Son Ian born October 2008. Son Owen born December 2010. Daughter Naomi born October 2012.
1) I was 22 when I planned a homebirth with DD1 but it turned into a hospital birth, 24 with my first home birth I think and 27 I think with my second home birth.
2) I wanted a drug free, no intervention birth in my own surroundings, with my family (DH and first daughter who had been a planned home birth but I was bullied into an induction), with little poking and prodding. I wanted to sleep in my own bed, be able to co sleep with my new baby without having her constantly removed from me when I fell asleep to be put in a cot. I didn't want to hear the screams of other women birthing because it only made me anxious. I wanted to be able to control the temperature while I was birthing (sounds weird maybe but they had the hospital so unbearably hot when I was in there with DD1 that it made me light headed and sick). I didn't want to be stuck to some ridiculous time schedule and pushed into unnecessary interventions (which happened with my first). I wanted to be treated with respect and able to kick people out if they irritated me (I wasn't treated with respect the first time around). I didn't want to have to pee 500 mls in one go before I was allowed to leave the hospital. I guess, when it comes down to it, I just wanted to be treated well, I didn't want to be treated like I was ill, I wanted my baby born in gentle surroundings with family, I wanted my daughter to meet the baby first so she would find it easier. I didn't want to catch horrible hospital bugs again.
3) I planned a homebirth for my first because I suffered from social phobia and knew that the presence of so many ppl would freak me out, I also suffered from vulval vestibulitis so wanted to avoid too much crap going on in that area, didn't get homebirth though. With number 2, I opted for home birth after everything that happened with birth number 1 at the hospital. I was suffering from PTSD as a result of it, I was scarred and I was terrified. I also felt like I was a failure as a woman. Giving birth at home really helped me feel better about myself, better about birth etc. Baby number 3 I had a homebirth because it was easier than doing it in hospital. We have no family nearby, so if I ended up in hospital, I would be on my own (that goes for baby number 2 as well). Baby 3 was the best birth ever. I was on my own pretty much, midwife was late (showed up after baby was born), husband was in the bath and had slept through most of labour, think I saw him for at most half an hour during the whole thing. I just didn't think birth could be like that. I was sterilised after due to health problems and finding out I had a genetic problem, it was a good birth to go out on!
|80 members and 10,050 guests|
|AlaskAnne , angeebaby , BarefootBrooke , blissful_maia , bluefaery , boater , brusselsmama , captainkitty2 , catladymeow , darlini76 , Dawn's mom , Deenic , Eris , frances bakin' , funfunkyfantastic , Grace Wisdom , HearthMagic1133 , ian'smommaya , Janit368 , japonica , jibidija420 , JLUK , jojobean , Joyful Mama , jul511riv , junipermuse , katelove , lilgreen , lilmissgiggles , LiLStar , littlec , loba , mama2004 , Masel , MeepyCat , Memento , Milk8shake , MnMtm , MPsSweetie , mssweetchelle , MylittleTiger , Nemi27 , oaksie68 , philomom , prosciencemum , pulcetti , rcb215 , redsally , RosemaryV , rubelin , Samm , SandiMae , sarafl , Serafina33 , shantimama , siennaflower , smilingprego , Smokering , sofreshsoclean , Springshowers , Sukhada , SummerStorm22 , Swolemates , TheBugsMomma , thtr4me , TrishWSU , typebug , wassernixe , Wild Rose , witchypants|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|