What to wear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm 32 weeks along with baby #3, and plan to birth in a private birthing center (which is where #2 was born also) except I can't seem to find my robe I wore with her...  Any suggestions on what to wear while laboring?  If I'm in the tub most of the time like before it won't matter, cause I'll be mostly naked anyway...  But if I need to walk or something...  I've been looking for a thin robe to wear, but haven't been able to find anything sufficient enough to keep me covered.  (not only is my belly huge, but I'm also a 40DD)  There will be family there with me, so I want to have some coverage... :)

#2 of 12 Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just bought a huge nightgown from Kohls.  Something I would never wear otherwise, but it kept me covered past my privates.   I'm like a 38-40 G-H when I give birth, but an x-large nightgown worked.  It was tight across my belly, but not uncomfortable.

Mama to three

#3 of 12 Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 PM

I wore a jersey knit black skirt that I was fine throwing away, a sports bra, a black t-shirt, and a hideous ugly robe.  I figured I would throw it all out afterwards, but I still have it, and I will probably use it for #2.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#4 of 12 Old 12-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Both times I wore a brown spaghetti strap nightgown with a built in shelf bra. Not much support for my g cups but at least not swinging free.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 12 Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 AM

With DS1 I wore a knee-length nightshirt that was big enough for my belly, and roomy enough it didn't feel constrictive at any point.  With DS2, I was naked.  I was so in labor-land I didn't care who saw what. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post

I wore a jersey knit black skirt that I was fine throwing away, a sports bra, a black t-shirt, and a hideous ugly robe.  I figured I would throw it all out afterwards, but I still have it, and I will probably use it for #2.

Me too, to all of this!  Great minds think alike, I guess.  I picked up the skirt at a thrift store.  And actually, b/c it was black, you can't tell if there's any bloodstains on it -- there must have been, I bled like crazy during my son's birth -- so instead of getting rid of it, I kept it, and now, it's one of my favorite skirts.  Wear it to work all the time.  I get such a kick out of it, looking down at my skirt and thinking, "heh, I gave birth in this skirt!"  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#7 of 12 Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 PM

I took a belly band to wear as a bandeau top, as I also intended to labor in the tub. However this might not be adequate support for you, I am only a 32DD currently!

As it turned out, we didn't have time to get in the tub anyway, so I ended up laboring in the super comfy nursing bra I was wearing when I showed up (& nothing else). Which was fine, and comfy, but I got blood all over it when they handed him to me to snuggle after the delivery, so I probably would have picked a black one if I'd thought about it!

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#8 of 12 Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  I've packed a black knit short sleeve dress that I never wear, and thought would be perfect.  :)  I also have my swim top and a sleeping/nursing bra to be in the tub with.

#9 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

A full dress might be a bad plan!  IME, you frequently need to provide access to your belly to HCP's during labor.  Standard of care for MW's is to listen for fetal heartbeat every 15-20 minutes with a Doppler.  I don't know about you, but I would NOT want to be hauling a dress up over my hips every 15 minutes.  Especially because in labor, I did not want to be wearing anything on the bottom -- too messy, esp. after your water breaks.  I'd go with a skirt and loose top, for sure. 

I loved having a big comfy dress to put on after the babe was born, FWIW, and it was nicer than wearing pajamas in the hospital.  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#10 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM

The nightdress I wore was knee length - no problems hiking it up & at times I felt self-conscious there were always blankets about.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

My dress is barely knee length, so I think I'll be ok..  With the last one I was only at the birthing center for about an hour before I got in the tub anyway, so I don't forsee me even needing the dress for very long...  (My waters never broke, she was born in the sack... :) 

#12 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM

I really like Binsi skirts.

Me & DH 38 y/o with 5 y/o & 2 y/o boys.

Labor & Delivery nurse and Hypnobabies instructor.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page