Good info on why inducing for "big baby" isn't usually recommended? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an online friend whose OB is pushing to induce at 39 weeks because at 38w5d her son is measuring at 7lbs on ultrasound and she has "small hips". Her daughter was born vaginally and without induction; she was only about 5lbs.

My friend hasn't heard anything about the "big baby" reason for induction being questionable but does feel like her OB is "induction happy" so she's open to good info. The more scientifically sound the better I think, vs. just anecdotal stuff.

Ready? GO! :D

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#2 of 16 Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

-Because you cant tell the size of one's pelvis *inside* by how they look outside.

-If you could, it will open up bigger with those good birth hormones anyway

-ultrasounds can be off. 

-7lbs at just under 39 weeks is NOT BIG banghead.gif

-With an average weight gain of 1/2lb a week at 40 weeks thats 7.5lbs. at 41 weeks, 8lbs. at 42 weeks, 8.5lbs.. and thats not big either. 

-even if you think thats big, baby heads mold and baby fat squishes

My "small hips" just birthed an 11lber a month ago :)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 AM

Everything above.

And adding my own: banghead.gif and also soapbox.gif to what I think of this doctor's advice.  ugh.

#4 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Determining the weight by ultrasound is notoriously  unreliable. 

And yeah, 7lbs at 39 week is really not that big.

#5 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Here is a good article I found.

http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/Big_baby.htm

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#6 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It does not decrease the incidence of shoulder dystocia or c-section.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#7 of 16 Old 12-20-2011, 03:31 PM

ACOG's guidelines specifically recommend against it.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0701/p169.html

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#8 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 AM

No scientific evidence, but tell her that I am 5'1, SMALLY TINY BONED, small hips, and I pushed a 9 pound baby out with no tearing. Small-hipped women CAN push normal to big size babies. I really don't understand why so many OB's are fixated on this false idea that we can't. I was happy to prove everyone wrong eyesroll.gif

Women with "small hips" have been pushing babies out since the butt crack dawn of time...Does this OB think that the small-hipped women should have all died off in childbirth because they could only push 5 pound babies out? Ok, off my soap box now soapbox.gif

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#9 of 16 Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Ah, I was just reading about this earlier today.  Go to Google Scholar and type in macrosomia induction (http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=macrosomia+induction&hl=en&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=on) and you will get a SLEW of studies about induction of babies for suspected macrosomia (being "too big") vs expectant management/spontaneous labor.  The conclusion of more or less all of them is:  inducing for (suspected) big babies doesn't reduce c-sections or incidence of shoulder dystocia.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#10 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 AM

The other mamas have already posted good info...so I'll just add my banghead.gif and soapbox.gif and also a big clap.gifplus luxlove.gif to YOU for helping this mama not fall prey to an OB who is probably just "induction happy" because he prefers a nice, tidy schedule.

Big baby?? What the HELL are these doctors being taught in med school these days?? How come anything over 8lbs is considered HUGE these days?? My DD was just shy of 8lbs and she was a peanut! My DS was 7lbs on the nose and he was TINYYYY. Like, SO small. I'm so confused by this craziness over size. 7, 8,9 pounds babies....these are really very normal and common sized kids!! I know so many women who have pushed out even bigger babies that it's not even funny! They just squish down into little torpedo shapes no matter HOW big they are!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#11 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the links and info! I forwarded her a few resources and she cancelled the induction!! She said the OB was annoyed but she didn't care because she was doing this for her and her baby, NOT the doc! :D

EarthyLady likes this.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#12 of 16 Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

Thanks for all the links and info! I forwarded her a few resources and she cancelled the induction!! She said the OB was annoyed but she didn't care because she was doing this for her and her baby, NOT the doc! :D

biggrinbounce.gif AWESOMMMMMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#13 of 16 Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM

If it is any encouragement at all I have a friend who vaginally gave birth to her almost 12lb baby without the use of  forceps,vacuum extraction or the need to be cut.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#14 of 16 Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Another update - she had her son on Christmas eve - 7lbs 6oz iirc. Everyone is doing well and her doc didn't even attend the birth - another doctor who she didn't know but ended up liking better did! :)

womenswisdom and Katie8681 like this.

Erin

#15 of 16 Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Another update - she had her son on Christmas eve - 7lbs 6oz iirc. Everyone is doing well and her doc didn't even attend the birth - another doctor who she didn't know but ended up liking better did! :)

Oh. My. Gosh....how did she even get that GIANT baby OUT OF HER VAGINA??? That's INSANE....next time, she should just let them induce...that's too big. Actually, she should induce all her babies at 35 weeks from now on, who cares about prematurity...the woman makes babies that are simply too large to fit. She's lucky it didn't get stuck.

ROTFLMAO.gifbiglaugh.gifHahahaha, I wish the other doctor HAD been there, so he could feel stupid and have to look this poor woman in the eye after she delivered a peanut. Geez Louise!!

EarthyLady likes this.

#16 of 16 Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:

That's GREAT!!!!  My Aunt, 100 ponds soaking wet, gave birth vaginally to a healthy 10pd3oz. babe.  I don't know why they think 7pds is big.  my last was 8.8 and I thought he was so small, I actually say on the birth video "omg he is so tiny"..lol

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page