when do periods return? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-13-2004, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi
i was wondering if anyone could set my mind at rest as this was my first pregnancy and i have no idea about when my periods should return. i hear they can be delayed when breastfeeding fully, but due to insufficent milk i supplement with formula as well as breastfeed. Im also taking domperidone for the milk issue so dont know if that has any effect.
i am 12 weeks post partum and had a section (does that make a difference?)
I never had super regular periods anyhow, but i just want to know that its normal and nothing going wrong down there.

thanks for your help
heather
#2 of 6 Old 04-13-2004, 10:02 AM

My situation with my ds was similar to yours. My period returned when he was 10 months old.

On the other hand, I have heard of people exclusively breastfeeding and getting theirs back in just a couple of months.

I am nursing (and feeding solid foods to) my dd, who will be 12 months at the end of this month. No AF yet, knock on wood. :LOL

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#3 of 6 Old 04-13-2004, 11:24 AM

It varies so much from woman to woman, there's really no way to predict when your periods will return.

My mother didn't ever get hers back until months after she'd weaned her babies (even though she was only nursing once a day for the last couple of months).

My babies are fourteen months old, and there's still no sign of AF. I am still nursing every three hours, so I don't expect it anytime soon.

It's definitely normal for yours to not have returned yet.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#4 of 6 Old 04-13-2004, 04:06 PM

as mentioned, it varies from woman to woman-you are not unusual. with my dd she was over 2 before they returned, and my son is 13 months and no sign of anything.

you do want to remember that you can be fertile even if you haven't had a period yet. you will ovulate, then if that egg isn't fertilized then you will have your period. just mentioning because I have a good friend who got pg at 4months pp--who never had a period pp.
#5 of 6 Old 04-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Banned

I got an IUD after my 6 wk pp checkup, so sometime around 8 wks? I think my period was regular by 4 mo. I was EBF. I am not sure if the IUD was the cause or if I am just super fertile. It didn't help that ds would sometimes sleep for long periods through the night-I would always start spotting after a night of no nursing so I guess my body is just hypersensitive to hormone changes. I am not using any BC after this one (dh is getting fixed) so I am curious how my body will work without artificial prompting.
#6 of 6 Old 04-14-2004, 12:28 AM

I know that the amount of night nursing is "thought" to have something to do with when your period returns. Mine came back about a month after ds cut way back on night nursing. But lack of fertility sure can't be counted on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page