Mothering Forum banner

% of shoulder dystocia babies needing transport?

915 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  laurata 
#1 ·
Does anyone know, in births at home where shoulder dystocia was present, what percentage of the babies need to be transported to the hospital after birth? What about those who don't need to go, but who are born with problems and have to be worked over for a bit?

I'm sure it depends on how stuck the baby was and what the midwives did to get it unstuck, but is there a ballpark figure? Are most babies born just fine after being stuck?

#2 ·
Well....I have no idea what the % on it is, or what the medical feild has to say on the subject (hopefully someone else will have that information, because I would like to know as well), but I do know my personal experience.
All I know is that being at the hospital when my baby got "hung up" just caused me a world of trouble. I spent over 2 hours of pushing with nurses pushing my knees to my shoulders (yes my knees were actually touching my shoulders while I laid flat on my back) and other nurses pushed down on my stomach!!!!! Then when that did not work the doctor got scaple happy and gave me a cut all the way into my rectum, then when that did not work he pulled my baby out with forceps (spelling)..........
Thank God that he looked down with blessings and my dd was completly fine (even gained weight before leaving the hospital) but I was not so lucky. Spent over a week in the hospital for excessive bleeding and was not allowed to leave until I could walk out on my own. Then a year later it turned out I had to have surgery because the doctor had sewn me up on the outside but did not do a thing for the rips I had suffered on the inside (did not even know I had any) and there was a build up of scar tissue from it!

In my opinion I would have been much better off if I had NOT been at the hospital, but then again that is just my opinion......

#4 ·
I am so very thankful that we were home with Nova's in spite of the "sticky shoulders" we experienced. It was pretty frightening to have her head delivered, but the rest of her not rotating and being born. However, with the next contraction, I delivered bother her shoulders together and the rest of her slid right out. I may have changed positions slightly, though I can't remember now. That's the first thing I'd do if it happened again, but of course always listening to my body and my intuition is vital. We did transport to the hospital, though it wasn't so much because of the dystocia. My dh had freaked about there being meconium in the water right before she crowned and called 911. She was kind of slow to start, but she just needed some stimulation and to be kept warm.

Oh! I wanted to add... Though I had a BAD episiotomy in the hospital with dd1, I delivered dd2, who was 1 1/2 lbs heavier, over an intact perineum! Positioning, positioning, positioning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.