Ds upset while I was telling our birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, this afternoon I went to a birth story sharing session. It was the first time I've told the entire story in a while. Ds, who is 6 months old, was with me. Granted, he was getting pretty sleepy, but while I was sharing his birth story he got somewhat upset when I was to the actual part of him being born. After, I couldn't help but wonder if the story somehow was upsetting to him. He didn't have a particularly traumatic birth, but he was born a month early in the hospital rather than at home as planned. So, anyone ever experienced a baby getting upset by having the birth story told? Maybe it was just a coincidence and he just happened to be upset at that time, but i cant help but wonder...

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#2 of 5 Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, it is 100% coincidence.  6 months baby does not have a cognitive ability to understand stories, birth or otherwise.

6 months old get upcet often. Gas, teething pain, as visceral gut reason to your own mood. If you feel that the birth was not "perfect' because it was hospital and not home, he could have picked up on your anxiety. Perhaps, you should re-frame the story for yourself or refrain from talking about in anxious or upset tones. Babies pick up on emotions, not meaning of words at this age.  6 months does not have cognitive capacity to have a memory of birth either.

#3 of 5 Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He also could be responding to your own stress level when telling. If your voice was raising or getting strained, you were straining your muscles, etc. he would pick up on that & respond.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 5 Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM

He was most likely responding to the stress in your voice but I did observe an interesting response in my 1 yr old niece when she was in the room while her birth video was being played. It was her first birthday and she was walking around the living room interacting with various family members. Her dad had turned on the video he shot the day she was born. During the part after she was born, she would occasionally glance in the direction of the screen when she would hear the baby on the TV cry. However, when it got to the part where her dad was filming the nurse giving her first bath, and the baby (herself) was crying again, she immediately went over to the TV and was trying to turn it off. Coincidence? Possibly. But that specific crying scene upset her whereas the crying scenes prior hardly elicited a response. Was very interesting to observe.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM

I agree that he was most likely picking up on something you were feeling.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page