clamping the cord... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-13-2004, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to delay clamping the cord. I've read some things and now feel like it would be the best thing to do. But how? lol Does it matter where the baby is for that few minutes or what is done and what is not done? I plan on telling the doc to delay, but I don't want to assume he knows the best way to do it

Any suggestions are much appreciated
#2 of 7 Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM

Most people just bring baby right up to mamas chest and let them bond for a while......it's really no big deal. Just hang out and spend some time with your baby and in no time the cord will stop pulsing and it'll be ready to cut.
#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 PM

Some like to keep the babe at cord level, others will give him to mama right away.
#4 of 7 Old 04-13-2004, 09:45 PM

the best place for a baby while his cord is intact is on your chest. doctors like to bring babies over to the warmer as soon as they are born for a physical, weight, etc (all stuff that can be delayed until the baby is a few hours old). delaying cord cutting is a great way to make them keep the baby with you.

also, consider telling them you want the baby physical done while you are holding the baby- they may say they have to do it at the warmer, but its your baby, and if you wont let her go, they can't take her!! birth is hard on babies- they are suddenly in this cold world, without the familiar sounds and warmth of your body, and then instead of comforting them by having them be with their mothers, doctors sometimes want to make the transition harder by taking the baby away from his mom!!! it makes no sense to me. im a student midwife, and at the birth center/homebirths i go to, we always delay cord cutting, and the baby never leaves the mom unless she wants to take a shower or something. sorry, im getting preachy....

make sure you tell your doc about your plans ahead of time, and then be sure you or your partner remind them when the time comes lest they forget.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#5 of 7 Old 04-14-2004, 03:34 AM

When I was still actively doula-ing not clamping or cutting the cord was my favorite "trick" to keeping the staff from whisking the baby away .
#6 of 7 Old 04-15-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure that if there was a certain level the baby has to be at, we'd have 'em there
#7 of 7 Old 04-17-2004, 11:36 AM

Jodi, I chose a very "natural, pro Bradley OB." My birth plan was short and sweet and I wanted to "delay cord clamping." He didn't push interventions (there was no need) and let me labor without any pressure.

However, during my 18 hour first time hospital labor, I was denied food/drink by my well-meaning, but ignorant DH and I was too tired to squat/get into an ideal position to push.

I spent 2 hours in the position I did not want to be in, on a low Pitocin drip, flat on my back, knees pulled back, pushing REALLY hard. : The OB applied oil to help my skin (I said NO episiotomy) and he knew I was going to tear. He said so. I suffered a 2nd degree vaginal tear, 3rd degree to sphincter (I'm OK.)

Anyhoo, I think there was a lot of blood (from the tear) and my OB immediately clamped the cord. Perhaps he just wanted to get me sewn up as quickly as possible, and not have to worry about the cord pulsing. I really don't know.

So ask your OB, under what circumstances would you clamp the cord quickly? Can they be avoided?

In my case, I think I would have benefitted from having a Doula present to help HOLD UP in a SQUAT position - any good position. I didn't even have the energy to vocalize this (even though I was thinking it)!!!! And as tired and hungry as I was, I didn't want a C-section. I was determined to do it vaginally.

Another crazy issue to consider is to ask your OB/hospital what they do with the clamped early cord cell blood (and placentas) of their patients. Many hospitals DO collect it and sell it to research insitutions (for profit)... so they are NOT incented to delay clamping.

An eye-opening thread:
I gave blood today and was asked about vaxxes

10 - boy
5.5 - girl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page