Scared of birth vbac or csection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need some positive words or something at this point because I am so scared to have baby number 2. Long story short I had a csection with my first and have been researching vbac ever since he was born but we were waiting to try again until after I had gall bladder surgery. Well 10 months pp I had the surgery and everything seemed fine until the percocet (TMI) really messed me up to the point that I was in sever pain to go to the bathroom and got hemmorhoids . Needless to say the pain was so bad I am now feeling really traumatized at having anything coming out down in those regions and I am petrified to try for a natural birth like I had been planning.... BUT on top of that I am terrified of another section not only because of the risks and pain involved there but because they always give you percocet afterwards and I WILL NEVER take that again lol...........   How bad is the pain when the baby actually comes out? I did make it to 9.5 cm with my first birth without epidural so I can handle that although I ended up with the epidural then I was hurting so bad but that is not what I am really worried about it is the pain of the head coming out .... I really am afraid to ttc again but I really wanted to have a larger family lol

#2 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM

The pain of a baby's head coming out is NOTHING compared to surgical recovery. It is over in a minute and women experience it in different ways - many just feel it as a stretchy/burny feeling. The main thing is to let it happen slowly, not pushing the head out suddenly if you can help it. Allow the head to stretch your tissues. Doing so will help you avoid tearing, which will, of course, be more painful than the few minutes of allowing the baby's head to stretch your vaginal tissues.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

is it true that it feels like everything is on fire down there? will it make the hemmorhoids worse when pushing?

#4 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM

It doesn't really feel like everything is on fire (at least it didn't to me). What it feels like (and I'm going to be totally un-PC here) is an "Indian burn" like kids used to do to each other, when they would twist the skin on each others' arms. It's a stretching and kind of burning feeling but not truly like being on fire. And that is only when the head is actually coming out, and usually lasts about one minute. There is no pain once the baby comes out, other than possibly some discomfort from swelling or tearing. Hemorrhoids might be made worse during pushing, but avoiding purple pushing (the directed, breath-holding bear-down-as-hard-as-you-can type) will help to minimize that. If you are unmedicated, you can just allow your body to do the pushing. Your uterus could push out your baby without you ever doing anything!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

thats interesting I hope that my body can help do most of the pushing because when i finally felt the urge to push with my last it hurt for me to not push along with my body (if my body was pushing Im not sure since I had the epidural then) but I did just little pushes ( this was after the purple pushing the midwife had been directing me to push before I had the urge and then left the room for a break)  I just wish I had already birthed so I would know more of what to expect and I hadn't given in to the csection... 

#6 of 15 Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM

I never had a c-section but I did have a traumatic first birth and I was terrified of giving birth the second time, kept swinging between the homebirth or simply getting a section.......

Anyway, long story short...... I figured it was easier to get into hospital than get out if wanted/needed, so I stayed home, gave birth to a 9 lb 5 baby. First baby I had an epidural, the contractions were painful, was a bit uncomfortable with the head etc (mostly because I had flashbacks to nasty experiences) but it was ok. Third baby had another home birth (although was on my own as midwife was late and the ex was washing his hair (no, I'm not kidding pmsl)).

You will be fine!!!!!

#7 of 15 Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM

The ring of fire for me really did feel like fire. But I've also had that horribly backup up post painkiller BM, and it was nearly as bad as crowning.

Don't be scared away from a VBAC because of pain downstairs. There are different kinds of labors, and you don't know whether you'll have a brief, straighforward labor or a longer one where you'll need/want help; but you do know if you have a cesarean, there will be surgical recovery.

janarae18 likes this.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#8 of 15 Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the advice I hope I can get through it so I can have more kids! and I know tons of other women have lol....

#9 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

My body did most of the pushing itself too, I helped a bit, but I probably could have just let it do its thing and had less or no tearing. I honestly don't remember what crowning felt like, I was so in the zone and then so high on hormones and adrenaline and whatnot from a speedy, drug-free birth that I didn't start feeling any pain until a couple hours after when I finally asked for some pain meds. For some women they do feel that ring of fire sensation, some don't, but either way whether pain, pressure, stretching, etc. it feels like it is happening for a reason. It is the difference between the burn in the muscles during/after a long run and the pain from a sprained ankle. One feels painful and normal, the other feels painful and wrong. Maybe that will help ease your mind a bit, good luck!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#10 of 15 Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 AM

You know maybe I've blocked it out but I don't remember the pushing part as being particularly painful.  In my mind it's the contractions that hurt.  This may be because I had a swollen cervical lip and I had to stop pushing for about 30 minutes and just breath through the contractions, so finally being able to push again was quite a relief.  When my son was finally born, he came out all at once - head, shoulders, knees and toes - so I never remember feeling the "ring of fire".  And I didn't tear, either.

Once the baby was born, I was a little sore (loooong labor) but it was nothing compared to the pain I felt after my appendectomy a few years prior - and that was done laproscopically.  I can't imagine having a huge incision on my tummy.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#11 of 15 Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Just stay positive if trying for a Vbac. I did it and I feel so amazing and powerful and in control of my body. The pain is only temporary and then you're up walking around the same day as opposed to the cesarian where it can take months to heal. And after the birth, all of those endorphins make you forget about the pain. And then you say,"oh ya I could do that again!" Ceserians are way more risky than natural or even vbac. And besides that you're doc won't let you do something that's going to be a risk to your health. They will constantly check your c-sec. scar and your uterus to make sure all is well. And they will not let you go one week past your due date or they will do a c-sec to make sure your uterus doesn't rupture. Just be confident and positive minded. And I think the thing that helped me a lot too was eating super healthy and walking or getting some sort of exercise every day. A body in motion stays in motion. And they did not give me percocet after the birth. the only think I had was pitocin to help my uterus finish contracting. YOu don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Make a birthing plan.Be strong and don't get discouraged. And if you end up having to have a c-sec again, be ok with it, because everything happens for a reason, and as long as you and your baby are happy and healthy, then nothing else matters!

#12 of 15 Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM

My first pregnancy ended in a c-section (baby had a heart defect). I am now 33 weeks along with my second and really want a natural VBAC. I am afraid of having a fetal monitor the whole time and the pressure to have an epidural in the event that I'll need an emergency c-section (otherwise my ob says I'll need to be asleep). I don't want to miss the birth! What coping methods have other VBACs had? I will not have the option of walking around the halls or using the bath/shower.

#13 of 15 Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM

you do not have to have an epidural or a fetal monitor. i was able to walk and use the tub. gahh dr's make me so angry. and i had a very successfulvbac. i would reccomend taking some birthing classes. im glad i did. i learned so much and my teacher had a vbac 30 years ago so that was encouraging.

#14 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Maybe I too blocked it out but I don't remember it being so painful to push her out, towards the end. The worst was when somebody tried to check me (? it's all a little hazy, but somebody messed with that area, and THAT hurt). First stage was worse IMO. Second stage had its moments but pushing to the point of comfort made it not so, so bad.

Are you saying that the Percocet made you constipated? If you do end up with a C and get any narcotics, get your doctor to give you something with them to prevent constipation.

#15 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Also, if you do end up needing another c-sec for any reason (because while you are likely to vbac just fine one never knows), maybe you could ask for something besides percocet...also, did they give you a stool softener, if it was the hemorrhoids that were the main problem??? If not they should have.

Talk to your doc about these concerns and s/he might be able to provide some alternatives. 

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page