Braxton Hicks vs. "real" contractions....? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So let me start with this: I'm not really worried, just curious about what I'm feeling because its new, despite this being my second pg.

I'm nearly 30 weeks, and every evening around 5:30 or 6:00, I'm feeling what must be some sort of contractions, pretty much until I go to bed.  I mean, I should know what contrax feel like, but during DD's labor I only had pain in my back, and I never felt Braxton Hicks during my pregnancy with her.  Nothing at all up front.

So when my belly tightens all over to the point that I have to stop what I'm doing and take a deep breath--is that still Braxton Hicks?  They aren't regular/time-able and seem to come and go.

And why is it only in the evening?  Throughout the day I feel my uterus tighten (like with my hand), but it isn't painful and doesn't necessarily get my attention.  This is more than that.

My DD was full term and I can't think of any reason that I'd be at risk for pre-term labor.

Anyway, I know I need to talk to my HCP, which I'll do at my next appt on 2/2, but for now I'm curious.  Any thoughts?  TIA!

#2 of 4 Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM

I'm almost 39 weeks, and have had strong BH contractions in the late afternoon/early evening for the past couple of months.  I took it as a sign that I needed to hydrate and rest (instead of starting to cook dinner just as they were coming on!).  When I do that they go away.  Good luck!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had very intense, painful BH for the last 1-2 months of both pregnancies.  Worse in the evening I think.  Both babies went to term, and both times, the start of real labor was marked by the pain moving into my back.

Talk to your HCP but I wouldn't necessarily be worried.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#4 of 4 Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

That's sort of what I was thinking.  I'm really hoping to avoid the back labor this time around though!

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page