"Normal" bleeding during birth/before placenta vs NO bleeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 AM

It is different for all women and there are many explanations for bleeding before, during, and after labor.

Sometimes the bleeding you see while pushing is coming from tears of the vaginal wall (rare, typically seen in women with a weak pelvic floor) or perineum.

Sometimes the placenta will detach slightly from the uterus during first-stage labor causing bleeding.

Sometimes the loss of the mucus plug or bloody show is more "bloody".

Sometimes it is the start of a hemorrhage if the placenta detaches substantially or completely during labor.

If laboring primarily on your back it is possible to have a bleed but not notice as it would stay inside the body.

I had a moderate amount of bleeding about 6 hours after my water broke, then a moderate hemorrhage before the placenta was birthed. Not too hard to stop with a shot of pitocin (after the placenta was birthed), herbals, and exterior uterine massage.

#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Sorry, hit reply prematurely. Basically what I am saying is there are many types of "normal" bleeding during labor and delivery. What caregivers need to be watching for is heavy to excessive bleeding indicating a hemorrhage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalbirthoff View Post

It is different for all women and there are many explanations for bleeding before, during, and after labor.

Sometimes the bleeding you see while pushing is coming from tears of the vaginal wall (rare, typically seen in women with a weak pelvic floor) or perineum.

Sometimes the placenta will detach slightly from the uterus during first-stage labor causing bleeding.

Sometimes the loss of the mucus plug or bloody show is more "bloody".

Sometimes it is the start of a hemorrhage if the placenta detaches substantially or completely during labor.

If laboring primarily on your back it is possible to have a bleed but not notice as it would stay inside the body.

I had a moderate amount of bleeding about 6 hours after my water broke, then a moderate hemorrhage before the placenta was birthed. Not too hard to stop with a shot of pitocin (after the placenta was birthed), herbals, and exterior uterine massage.

#4 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM

bleeding is normal, its part of the show that accompanies the mucous plug, as you progress in labour you get more bloody show. It will appear to be more blood in the water because of the dilution.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I have often noticed a bit of bleeding as a woman reached full dilation, probably from a little tear or graze on the cervix or upper vaginal wall as the head comes down. Definitely more common in upright women but I suspect that is just because gravity allows the blood to flow out rather than pooling in the vagina.

Often blood can look more than it is during birth as well because it mixes with amniotic fluid so the volume looks greater. You can tell if this is the case when you look at the fluid on a light coloured cloth. The amniotic fluid will form a colourless or much lighter coloured "halo" of wettness around the red blood in the centre.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page