Has anyone had to do a 2 hour glucose test for gest diabetes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The doctor we are using says this is becoming standard now.  Anyone else had to do it or heard of it?  They do it instead of the one hour test.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did, but it wasn't in the US. The UK standard is to use the 2 hour, 75g OGTT, fasting. This is the test done in the US outside of pregnancy.  It's kind of a pain because it's an overnight fast. Blood is drawn fasting prior to the glucola, then again at 1 and 2 hours. It means more time in the lab, too (I had mine done in a hospital, and I was allowed to leave the lab area but not the building. Your lab may vary!)

I think the reason the 1hr became so popular is that it is not a fasting test and that everyone can simply be given a 50g glucola and do it as desired. The 75g and 100g fasting tests are more of a pain to administer. The problem is that the 1hr has some downsides: Put the pass level too high, and you miss people who would fail a fasting test. Put it too low and the false positive rate skyrockets. Some people who get between 130 and 140 will fail a 3hr, but a lot won't. So you need to decide which way to swing.

With my 2nd (in the US, born in September) I did the 1hr test. I was also given a baseline at 8 weeks. (Some providers push this on all obese patients; in my case, there was actually a chance I had masked T2, so I was okay with it.)

However....

Quote:

In 2011, the American Diabetes Association adopted guidelines that recommend changes in the way women are tested for gestational diabetes. Instead of the GCT described above, a 2-hour OGTT, using a 75-gram glucose drink, is performed. If one or more of her glucose levels at fasting, 1 hour, or 2 hours are above a certain level, then she is diagnosed as having gestational diabetes.

That was a followup to a 2010 proposal. So I may have just missed the change!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For my last pregnancy it was the 2-hour & I was told it's the new standard (Canada). Quite frankly I'd rather do the 2 hour once than the 1 hour, fail it & have to do the 3 hour.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM

I did with my pg in 2010. I was very sick from it and would rather just go on the diet than repeat that experience. It was recommended to me even though I'd passed the 1 hr because babe was measuring several weeks ahead of schedule. I didn't have GD, he was just big.

This pg, I had and passed the 1 hr. different practice of docs. Baby is measuring normally.

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Ugh! I HATE them! I have had to do the second one TWICE! That would be the 4hour one after testing either positive or too-close on the first test ... After all that my seond test always comes out normal/negative. Go figure. Plus that GluCola takes so bad! Yucky.

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List