Can you please share your placenta encapsulation experience? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies, I was searching to try and find out more about this and I cant seem to find many experiences where people had their placenta encapsulated and took it. There are lots of threads about the benefits, ect, but nothing really about actually taking it. So, one of my really good friends who is also a midwife encapsulated mine. She got 91 pills. I am taking 2 a day, one with breakfast and one with dinner. The first day I took two at the same time and felt pretty nauseous. Yesterday was great. Today it feels like someone hit me in the vulva, after several days of feeling like the healing was going really well. It just feels like there is more blood than there has been and that everything is tender and swollen. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the placenta, but it is the only variable in my situation, so Im just wondering. Also, Id like to know more about any side effects or how it makes other people feel. So, if you have encapsulated yours and taken it, would you please tell me your experience?
Mothoki likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM

I took mine after my HBAC in August of 2010. I don't know how many pills I got, but I took 2 in the morning. I didn't notice any side effects. I felt like I healed faster, my bleeding was less and my mood was much more stable. I don't know how much of it was due to the fact that I had a vaginal birth or that I was taking the pills, but I was happy I did it. If I'm fortunate enough to have another baby, I plan on doing it again.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Compound heterozygous MTHFR and Prothrombin 2 mutation.

hbac.gif homeschool.gif         chicken3.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 PM

I took mine, but not as consistently as I probably should have.  I was taking 2-3 per day for the first couple of weeks, when I remembered to do it.  Honestly, I could not tell whether it had any effect at all (but again, perhaps that was my fault for not being more consistent).  I did have some PPD, etc.  I'll probably do it again if we have another baby- because the concept makes sense and it can't hurt- but I am not a convinced believer.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#4 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM

I got about 100 pills myself. I had half of them from the raw placenta and half from the steamed (western and chinese methods). The raw pills provide a faster and quicker release of the hormones stored inside. I get the feeling that what you are asking for is a somewhat scientific proof of whether they work or not. There is little actual research behind it. 

They worked for me. I took 2 with each meal- 6 a day for 3 weeks. I also drank the broth. I especially had a strong energy rush after the broth. Funny thing is, when my mom came over, she thought it was old soup and tossed it away. At least I benefited from it for about a week. I also noticed that I was a bit more emotional and prone to outbursts the few times I forgot to take the pills on time. I definitely noticed I had so much energy with very little sleep during the time i took the placenta pills. 

I don't think there is a relationship between increased bleeding and taking your placenta. However, call your midwife right away if you think you are bleeding too much.

All in all, there is something very positive and affirming about a regimented placenta taking. As for side-effects, I am not aware of any.

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page