Planned C-section - Wait for labor or schedule? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
I don't believe this at all. My sons an unplanned and a planned were both c/b and both were terrific nursers. In fact, Bryce was supposed to be another 45 mintues (not sure why. I think it was weighing and such but ths another story) but they brought him in 45 minutes early because all he wanted to do was nurse. Anything that passed his face he tried to latch on

I'd think prolonged exposure to an epidural would make them more sluggish and with a planned c/b normally as soon as the epi takes effect you wait about 10 ,intes before surgery begins. Just because its planned doesn't mean it goes slow.
Well that okay, you dont have to believe it. Thats just what I was told by a nurse who had seen a lot of babies born by cesarean that had that experience. Everyone has different experiences as I said before and just because you had a wonderful scheduled cesarean and a very healthy baby doesnt mean everyone does.
#32 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
I don't believe this at all. My sons an unplanned and a planned were both c/b and both were terrific nursers. In fact, Bryce was supposed to be another 45 mintues (not sure why. I think it was weighing and such but ths another story) but they brought him in 45 minutes early because all he wanted to do was nurse. Anything that passed his face he tried to latch on

I'd think prolonged exposure to an epidural would make them more sluggish and with a planned c/b normally as soon as the epi takes effect you wait about 10 ,intes before surgery begins. Just because its planned doesn't mean it goes slow.
O yeah. I had an epidural vs a spinal for my planned csection. I had it and like 10 minutes later I was in the OR. One of the reasons many csection babies are sluggish is because they are born AFTER a mom has been in labor for awhile, already had a lot of intervention, mom has had some other meds like stadol or nubain -- a mother hit with pit, baby is getting slammed in that uterus -- I would imagine I would be sluggish getting out! Also these moms before they are sectioned are given sedative to relax them for the surgery.

IOF, you didnt have those with your last birth did you?
I know I didnt. I didnt even get anti-nausea meds. I was very alert and felt wonderful.

I've known a few people who got epidurals and waited around an hour before their planned csection but that is not the norm. With a spinal the window of time is short, so often spinal is done in the OR and within minutes of taking they are cutting you to get baby out. I just don't buy that babies are "drugged". Some of that stuff doesnt even have time to cross the placenta!
#33 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OnTheFence

IOF, you didnt have those with your last birth did you?
I know I didnt. I didnt even get anti-nausea meds. I was very alert and felt wonderful.
Not with Bryce but I did with Tracy...14 hour pit induction but no pain meds until right before my c/b But he wasn't sluggish at all eiher..but no meds until the c/b.

He didn't latch well but I think that was because he was induced at 38 weeks...another eason I would encourage those who do plan a c/b to wait till 40 weeks or more if there is no concern about labor first.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#34 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mom2baldie
Well that okay, you dont have to believe it. Thats just what I was told by a nurse who had seen a lot of babies born by cesarean that had that experience. Everyone has different experiences as I said before and just because you had a wonderful scheduled cesarean and a very healthy baby doesnt mean everyone does.
They are seeing a lot of babies born AFTER INTERVENTIONS I bet. My aunts baby was a vaginal birth and after a few hours of pit and drugs she came out pretty sluggish. I imagine I would too! I mean when they say csection babies are more sluggish -- which csection babies? the planned ones? or those from moms already in labor or who had interventions? also were there more boy babies that were sluggish than girls (very common)? There are a lot of factors that come into play.
#35 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Also having spoken with an L&D nurse...she said it was a common misconception. But, I didn't read your post saying your babe was...so I am sorry if I seemed to be generalizing. I wasn't trying to. I just know a lot of women who "assume" things. But you obviously aren't assuming

Honestly, I just hate to see women get bummed because the birth they invision isn't necessraily gonig to happen when they can make the birth they do have a wonderful one.

#36 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OnTheFence
They are seeing a lot of babies born AFTER INTERVENTIONS I bet. My aunts baby was a vaginal birth and after a few hours of pit and drugs she came out pretty sluggish. I imagine I would too! I mean when they say csection babies are more sluggish -- which csection babies? the planned ones? or those from moms already in labor or who had interventions? also were there more boy babies that were sluggish than girls (very common)? There are a lot of factors that come into play.
Ummm...I dont know. I had just had surgery and wasnt feeling my best. I didnt know to ask whether the sluggish babies were after planned cesareans or scheduled and whether more of them were girls or boys.... My goodness.

Im not trying to go back and forth with either of you. I shared my experience like many others have and it seems that everytime someone does tell what happened to them someone else has to come back with "well that didnt happen to me...I just dont buy it..." Everyone is going to have their own experience! To sit and act like scheduled cesareans are so much better than perhaps being in labor for an hour or 2 is just very strange to me. Its surgery either way and it seems like letting a baby know that something is going on (feeling the contractions) would be better than having him or her just pulled out of your body with no transition to the outside world.
#37 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 12:37 AM

Honestly, I just hate to see women get bummed because the birth they invision isn't necessraily gonig to happen when they can make the birth they do have a wonderful one. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. And Im glad that you did have a wonderful experience, but unfortunately just because someone gets to set a day and time for their child to be born that doesnt guarantee a good experience. I dont know...maybe I have been reading on ICAN for too long.
#38 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:

Im not trying to go back and forth with either of you. I shared my experience like many others have and it seems that everytime someone does tell what happened to them someone else has to come back with "well that didnt happen to me...I just dont buy it..." Everyone is going to have their own experience! To sit and act like scheduled cesareans are so much better than perhaps being in labor for an hour or 2 is just very strange to me. Its surgery either way and it seems like letting a baby know that something is going on (feeling the contractions) would be better than having him or her just pulled out of your body with no transition to the outside world.
Ok, I see your point..and I apologized for gernealizing...

I can say IN MY EXPERIENCE I believe the above things I've said...is that better then?? Like I said, I'm sorry I generalized

I can tell you that IN MY EXPERIENCE recovery from a c/b is much much easier when you do not labor first and things are planned.

And in cases when there is no harm in laboring..ie cord prolapse from footling breech or something...then I think it is just preference. Babies born vaginally can sometimes have the same problems a c/b baby has with breathing...no matter how far into term they are

#39 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree. And Im glad that you did have a wonderful experience, but unfortunately just because someone gets to set a day and time for their child to be born that doesnt guarantee a good experience.I dont know...maybe I have been reading on ICAN for too long.
And somtimes having the birth you want is the same way...from what I hear... isn't life fun! It never turns out how we expect

hehe..and I never liked the site

#40 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

I think what this thread has demonstrated is that there's single answer that will be best for all mothers and all babies. No one's mentioned any studies or literature on the subject, so we're just comparing the personal experiences of a very small subset of the population.

Clearly both situations have their advantages and disadvantages. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and I'll keep them in mind if and when it comes time to make my decision.
#41 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 AM

Ok, here is something about planned verses not planned c/b.

http://www.kfshrc.edu.sa/annals/166/96-029.html

General Info:
http://www.the-health-pages.com/wome.../cesarean.html

About breathing difficulties in babies born before term:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin...3.01751.x/abs/

Information on Resp. Distress Syndrome in infants:
http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/2731.html

Here are the risks listed from just one consent form for ECV:
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
RISKS Risks are uncommon and affect few mothers and babies. Nevertheless, there are some risks associated with the procedure. Please ask your obstetrician and midwife if you have any general or specific concerns.I may have side effects from the drug used. These side effects are rare but can include nervousness, drowsiness, tremors and palpitations (awareness of my heart beating). These usually only last a few minutes and settle by themselves.I understand external cephalic version (ECV) has the following specific risks and limitations: • I may notice some discomfort during the procedure but should alert the doctor if I experience pain. • ECV may not be successful. My baby may not turn or may turn back to the breech position immediately or some time afterwards. A second attempt to turn my baby may be recommended. • Rarely, the placenta may partly lift away from the wall of the womb and there may be some bleeding. The baby’s heart rate may be slow after the procedure. If either of these happens, my baby may have to be delivered urgently via caesarean section. • In a few cases, some of the baby’s blood crosses into the mother’s circulation. This does not often cause any problems. If I have a Rhesus negative blood group, I will be given an injection (Anti-D) to prevent my body forming antibodies should there by a small exchange of blood from my baby • I will need to monitor my baby’s movements afterwards. If these are reduced, I should alert and/or contact the labour ward.
#42 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:15 AM

Hi! I have no experience or stats for you, but I think you said you'd be going back to the chiro tomorrow/today.

I noticed that you didn't say Webster didn't work, but that it simply wasn't indicated yesterday. BIG difference, eh?

Anyway, good luck with the appointment!
#43 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, I'm going back to the chiropractor in a couple of hours. We'll see if an adjustment is indicated today.

I've had 3 adjustments so far. I don't know how many it usually takes to be effective - my understanding is it's at least 2 or 3, and can be many more. And I've probably only got time for at most 2 or 3 more sessions.

I really, really wish I'd known about this 2 weeks sooner. Or maybe I don't. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference and I would have just ended up stuck in indecision and uncertainty for even longer.
#44 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:26 AM

Do you see this chiro regularly, or is it only for the Webster?

Regardless, I'd suggest getting the rest of your spine adjusted as well (you may be realizing at this point that I am a chiropractor, albeit non-practicing now), as it might help your body deal with all this stress!

For what it's worth, if my babe turned breech now (I'm 36 weeks 1 day) and I felt my only option was c'section, I'd wait for labor. Just doesn't ever make sense IMO IMO IMO to schedule it. In My Opinion.

Then again, if I were having a c'section I'd be knocked out; being a chiro (for me) means never welcoming a needle in or near my spine...

But I'd likely go for the homebirth option (even unassisted) instead, so my opinion might not matter.
#45 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:27 AM

((hugs)) Tammy. You've gotten plenty of great advice and links so I just wanted to add my personal opinion. I would personally wait till labor starts. I haven't done a ton of research on it but I trust my body and my baby to be ready if labor starts on its own, ya know!

Good luck! I hope a C/B becomes unneccesary for you!

Tamara
#46 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links, OnTheFence. It's tricky of course, because what we're talking about is something that's in between a scheduled section and an actual emergency section. It's one thing to call when I start having contractions and say "I'll be in for my section in two hours" when there's no rush, as opposed to the "oh my god, we must get this baby out now" after 15 hours of labor emergency situation.

I just got the call, and my ECV will be Monday morning. I appreciate the words of advice and caution, but I've looked at a bunch of studies and talked to a bunch of people, and at this point it's a risk I'm willing to take. If that doesn't work, I will probably schedule my section for 40w+3 or 4 days, and be prepared for the fact that I might go into labor before the scheduled date.

Guess I should get to work on my c-section birth plan, so I'll have it ready when I need it.
#47 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mollyeilis
Do you see this chiro regularly, or is it only for the Webster?

Regardless, I'd suggest getting the rest of your spine adjusted as well (you may be realizing at this point that I am a chiropractor, albeit non-practicing now), as it might help your body deal with all this stress!
All of the stuff I've read about Webster says that you shouldn't get any other adjustments at the same visit. If I'm testing Webster negative again today, I'll ask my chiropractor about it.

BTW, yes, she is someone that I've just started seeing for Webster. But she'd been the most recommended person when I was looking for a new chiropractor, so I expect I'll continue to see her after the baby comes.
#48 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 AM

"you shouldn't get any other adjustments at the same visit"

Interesting. I left practice before getting a chance to take a Webster seminar, so I did not know that. I wonder why. I can see not wanting your thoracics or lumbars adjusted, but I would think an adjustment of your cervical vertebrae a little bit before the Webster would be JUST the ticket!

But your chiro who actually does Webster would know better than philosophical-ol'-me.
#49 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tammylc
All of the stuff I've read about Webster says that you shouldn't get any other adjustments at the same visit.
My chiro did...but at the same time I wasn't breech just malpositioned

I hope it works for you!

mollyellis-- I had some concerns about the needle (we see a chiro 3x a week for health maintenance) but he never said anything. He wanted me to homebirth vbac but I wasn't comfortable with it.

How does a needle cause long term effects? I didn't have any problems with my epidural before during or after. I guess I didn't think about it.

#50 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 11:22 AM

I have a horrible fear of the anaesthesiologist sneezing while putting the needle in my epidural space. Hello, paralysis!

I had the same fear while having Lasik...that I or the MD would sneeze. But blindness, to me, isn't quite the same thing as spinal cord injuries.

In my 5 years of practice and 2ish years of clinic, I took history after history of women of all ages who had long-lasting and hideous headaches after epidurals and spinals (with no prior history of headaches). That was usually part of what brought them in to see me. After seeing so much of the same history, I became even more wary than I had been.

Other than that, it's a personal preference, that happens to coincide with my former professional care of the spinal column.
#51 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 01:05 PM

Got it. Those were things I had also heard. I was very picky about how the anesth did his work. I had it redone with my T because I could tell it was in crooked.

I was jsut making sure it wasn't anything else. Thanks!!

#52 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM

T

you "needle-phobic" mamas are making me crack up. I'm not at all needle-phobic, in fact I like to watch while they draw blood, etc. I find it quite fascinating.

But I'm absolutely terrified of the idea of labour pains for hours and hours and hours and then pushing out a baby. So when I read how you would do anything to avoid a C/S b/c of your fear of needles, etc. I have to giggle b/c for me, I'd take a dozen needles any day over 36 hours of labour!! I think you are the brave ones, lol. Just goes to show you how different we all are sometimes

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#53 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also hate needles and all other forms of pain except for labor. I get put to sleep at the dentist for every single minor thing. I suppose it doesn't make much sense...:LOL
#54 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 05:41 PM

Piglet68, for the record I have no fear of needles. I give blood and all that.

It's the proximity to the spinal cord that's the kicker for me. As I mentioned, if I have to have a c-section everyone knows that they are to treat it as an emergency and simply knock me out. NO fiddling with needles and tubes and trying to avoid the spinal cord. Just gas me and wake me up shortly afterwards.

Paralysis is a real risk for an epidural or a spinal (or a spinal tap), and it's not one I'm willing to take. Luckily, hubby is on board with me.
#55 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If my homebirth ended in a c-section I think I would want to be put to sleep. If it's a serious emergency, which is the only reason I would ever transfer, I'm not going to care about getting to see the birth or having dh there. The thought of big needles in my spine scares me too.

The only way I would want to be awake is if it were planned.
#56 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 06:20 PM

i'm with mollyeilis on the whole needle thing. I could care less what they stick in me it is where they stick. between my vertabrea is just somewhere needles don't belong. There are a whole host of other spots they can cram drugs into your body.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#57 of 58 Old 04-15-2004, 07:24 PM

tammy, i think you posted a great question. i am surprised that there isn't more information out there. if there was, i am sure this group would know it.

i do appreciate the links that OTF posted. the first one it thought was very interesting.

like others have said, i am more interested in information about procedures and outcomes than people's personal experiences. however, i do find personal stories interesting and since that is what forums are for i'll add my own (very personal) thoughts.

"I haven't done a ton of research on it but I trust my body and my baby to be ready if labor starts on its own, ya know!"

ok, i'll bite. i have done a ton of research on premature babies and many of them are not ready when their mom's go into labor.

i've also been wondering whether i should wait and go into labor first before i have a c/b, but have decided that it's probably safer not to. the problems from my first occured because of labor and add to that the risk of uterine rupture from a previous T cut i just don't want to take the risk.
#58 of 58 Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM

I'm in the same situation, baby hasn't turned and she's 39 weeks. I've tried moxa, Webster technique, yoga (lots of down dog and cat cow) and had my first version last friday. I'm Rh neg and they gave me Rho gam before the procedure. So yes you can have a version with Rh- status! As a matter of fact I have another version scheduled for this Fri. And now I guess I'm going to find a pool! Thanks to all who have posted here its been very encouraging. :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page