Post Partum Thyroiditis, unresolved, and PPD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Story,

Had a baby, first three months were pretty rough. Looking back I may have had a bit of PPD.

Baby started sleeping through the night...went back to work...things started to seem "normal"

When the baby was about 4 1/2 months old...I started having HORRIBLE anxiety...lost half of my hair...insomnia was unbearable.

I have a job where I can't take meds. Having done my own research I think I had post partum thyroiditis, which is supposed to clear up on its own. But it hasn't. My baby is 10 months old now.  I think the insomnia and anxiety have become their own monster.

I have had to take time off of work and have started some meds. They are not working yet.

I need help. Could this be something other than PPD or thyroid issue?

#2 of 2 Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had similar experiences after the births of my kids.  The first one wasn't that bad, but the second was horrible.  In addition to your symptoms I had others as well: occasional dizziness, muscle pain, and fatigue, eczema muscle twitches, etc.  I went to many different doctors and all tests came back normal.  An endocrinologist believed it was caused by low estrogen due to nursing.  I don't know if this is true, but I can tell you that when I got pregnant when he was 8 months old my symptoms disappeared overnight.  I had this again after my last baby, but with this one I started taking Wellbutrin immediately pp and my symptoms of depression and anxiety were so much less severe.  Just a bit really.  I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.  It is so difficult.  I found some good info on natural alternatives to drugs in the ppd section of mdc.  I can post some of that info if you need it.  Good Luck!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page