PA Residents! Help Save Penn Birthing Suite! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2004, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I cross posted this in Finding Your Tribe for PA, because they especially want to hear that there is a desire for more natural birth options from women in this area!)

This is a call for letters to the CEO of Pennsylvania Hospital, from Julie Cristol, midwife at the Penn Birthing Suite:

===============================
Hi all-

I think this is the moment when I need a lot of support in order to insure that Philadelphia doesn't lose it's only in-hospital birth center. The hospital has applied to the Dept of Health to get approval for a new birth center within the hospital which is very positive. They are also fully comprehending that it will take more than a single coat of paint to create such an entity. They are questioning whether or not there is enough consumer demand to invest the resources into creating a real birth center to replace our beloved birthing suite. Our Birthing Suite admissions were only 100 over the last 9 months because of nursing problems (the troubles of the last 5 years have certainly taken a toll) and this doesn't inspire them. With elective c/s featured in time magazine and the new york times reporting the demise of birth centers they really need to hear from supporters that there is still a demand for low risk care and non separation of mother and baby.
Get your clients, friends, relatives and pets to join the effort so that we don't lose the opportunity to have women labor as they were designed to and stay with their babies afterwards!!!!

Please write letters and send emails to the following folks:

Tim Morgan, CEO [email protected]
You can copy your letters to Deb Staples-Administration, Kathleen Wolf-Women's services, paul Minnick-Acute care and Jack Ludmir-Ob/Gyn

Sample Letter:

Dear _________

I was so saddened to hear of the need to close the Birthing Suite at Pennsylvania Hospital. This is the only in-hospital birth center in the Delaware Valley and has been such an important option for pregnant families for than a decade and a half. It is very reassuring to know that the hospital administration is committed to creating a new facility within the hospital. There are fewer and fewer options for low-risk family centered care in this area as more and more hospitals are forced to close their Ob units. and provide less personalized care. There is a huge demand for this type of facility. (Insert here how you know this to be true because of--your experience as a client, your doula clients, your nursing experience etc.)

The letter doesn't have to be long --it just has to reinforce the idea that this is still something that consumers want and not just some throw-back phenomenon that will soon be replaced with elective c/s for all. Feel free to throw in some thoughts about the wonders of midwifery as well if you feel inspired!!

Thanks a bunch--Julie E. Cristol, CNM

========================================

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14

User Tag List