How long between membrane rupture and labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Becoming a mother has opened a door to a whole new world for me... only I'm a little lost right now... Does anyone know how long between membrane rupture and labor (usually)? Any insights are welcome

#2 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The majority of women will rupture their membranes during labour. Of those who have premature ROM (membranes rupturing before labour) the majority, I think 80% but I'd need to check the exact figure, will go into labour within 24 hours.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM

With my first (DD) - my water broke at 3 in the afternoon. Noooothinnngggg happened for exactly 30 hours...I was losing my mind....gushing fluid....not experiencing so much as a twinge in my uterus...then I had a contraction that was really intense out of nowhere and I was like "Wow, cool!" - and almost exactly 1.5 hours later I was holding a baby girl!

With my second (DS) - my water broke very very early in the morning. Noooooothinnnnggg happened for exactly 28 hours..I was NOT losing my mind because I was expecting that...we hiked, we walked, we ate, I buzzed around cleaning...suddenly I was flying to the toilet to "make business" in the toilet and a trash can at the same time...that was at 9am...at 10:37am I was holding a baby boy!

My mother had four babies. All four babies - her water broke, between 24 and 35 hours later she had a 90 minute labor and delivered a healthy baby.

I'm excited to see how things happen for me this time. I'm open to something new...but my 90 minute births, while intense, have been a blast. Actually, really, almost literally a blast! My body spits my kids out, just like my mother. My mom had four kids and never pushed once. I've had two and didn't push a single time. It's like my water breaking starts the timer...and about 30 hours after it happens, somewhere in my body, a little fairy pushes the "eject" button or something. HAhaha. The "cannon ball baby" tearing hasn't been awesome, but hey, that's birth!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#4 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM

My water has always ruptured late in labor- while pushing.  

#5 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM

With DS1 my midwife broke my bag during pushing. I had a cervical lip and was having a hard time pushing so she offered and I agreed.

With DS2 it broke on its own while pushing.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#6 of 22 Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM

I had pPROM with ds1.  My water broke at 20 weeks and the medical staff told me that I had an 80% chance of going into labor within 48 hours and a 90% (or some super high number) of going into labor within a week.  Never happened.  I actually never went into labor, but my membranes never healed, and I had a small placental abruption that caused them to go ahead and perform a c/s at 30 weeks.

With ds2, my water broke just before I kicked into active labor.  With ds3, it was right as I went into transition.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#7 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 AM

With baby #1 it was 7 hours. With #2 it was about 90 minutes.

#8 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Mine ruptured maybe a minute before dd was born. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 AM

PROM happens in about 10% of all pregnancies.

75% give birth in 24 hours

90% within 48 hours

95% by 72 hours

3-4% do not begin labour within 7 days

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#10 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Every labor and birth is different, even for the same Mom. The Hollywood version of labor where the waters break in the most embarrassing situation possible and then the mom is rushed to the hospital panting and screaming in the back of a cab is NOT reality.  Your contractions and other signs are generally going to be better indicators of how far along you are in your labor.

dogretro likes this.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#11 of 22 Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Marvelous answers all! That's the reason this site is the only one I subscribed too!

#12 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 AM

Quite educative answers! this is truly helping me to see what mothering is really about because pammysue I DID believe the hollywood version of child birth. For a first time TTCer I am really happy to learn from MDC . Thanks though Im not the OP this is very helpful to me.

pos.gif for #1  carefully threadingthe path to motherhood heartbeat.gif

#13 of 22 Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 AM

I was having regular contractions (but very far apart) for almost 8 hours exactly before my water broke.  Once my water broke my contractions immediately went to about 10 minutes apart, then 8, and so forth...  But I still wound up laboring for 12 hours after my water broke.  From the very first contraction to baby in arms, my mother labored for 24 hours with me, and I labored for 20 hours total with her. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#14 of 22 Old 05-04-2012, 04:18 PM

I had PROM. For me I didn't have anything - no contractions nothing - for like 24 hours. Only with acupuncture, walking, nipple stimulation and eventually castor oil did my contractions start. DS was born 9 hours after contractions actually started. I often wonder how long I would have gone if I had not done all of the above. 

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

#15 of 22 Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My water broke at 4am 39wks 1 day....no contractions.  I called my midwife, bc it was a hospital based birth she did want me to go in pretty early (I was GBS positive).  I wasn't thrilled, I really wanted to labor at home and let things move naturally.  DH was less caual, so he came home to get me and we were in the hospital by 1pm....still no contractions after walking, dancing, bouncing around and by 6pm I was put on a pitocin drip (grrrr).  I still went without pain meds, and having survived that I feel like future labors should be a breeze!  I know now that I'd be comfortable without the penicillin for GBS and I'd definitely say no to rushing things with pitocin.  LOL @ BroodyWoodsgal  with the cannon ball baby!!! I totally felt like I was delivering a cannon ball with the way she tore me, but I guess that's to be expected when pitocin forces your body to expel a child that your body just isn't ready to get rid of!

#16 of 22 Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM

I had PROM with both prior pregnancies. My first was a hospital birth, I waited about 14 hours before I went in with not a single contraction, was immediately put on pit, so I have no idea how long it would have take to have a contraction. My second was a hb, and I had a few contractions, but I didn't have regular contractions for about 20 hours. My labor was 38 hours.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#17 of 22 Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

The Hollywood version of labor where the waters break in the most embarrassing situation possible and then the mom is rushed to the hospital panting and screaming in the back of a cab is NOT reality.

This... Five births and I've never had them spontaneously rupture prior to labor. #1 broke a few hours before birth after a long labor, #2 was arom during labor, #3 was arom to induce labor, #4 I don't remember, and my last little girl was really close to be born in the caul... her waters exploded all over the midwife just as I was being pushing her out.

#18 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM

I've had 4.  My first broke two or so hours before she was born, though I can't remember exactly.  I was in the hospital and in such a daze.  I really, really needed to eat.  Anyway, my other 3 broke as they were born. 

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#19 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM

One vaginal birth and my water broke while I was pushing.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#20 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM

My first birth started with my water breaking, and labor starting immediately afterwards.

My other three babies were induced, and my water didn't break until close to pushing.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#21 of 22 Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM

My water broke on Friday night, and I delivered sunday evening.. went into active labor sunday morning.. so it was quite a few hours.. over 24 definitely. 

Life is either a great adventure, or nothing.  -Hellen Keller 

#22 of 22 Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM

My water broke early in the morning- 4:30 or something.  Woke me up out of a sound sleep.

No contractions started at all, so I started pitocin about 26 hours later.  Labored for 11 hours, progressed to 4 cm and got an epidural.  Had the baby about 4 hours after that.

I was very early, though- like 36.5 weeks.  No idea why my water broke.  Neither one of us was ready.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page