Induction as "prep" for planned C/S?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been meaning to ask about this (story was told to me about 4 months ago and it smelled suspicious, but I admit I could be missing something)...

Totally crazy-making, but a very close friend of mine was told she needed to have a C/S right away (during a regular appointment) because her son had IUGR.  I can't remember, but I think it was before 40 weeks-- maybe 38 or 39.  Son was something like 6 lbs, 12 oz...  IOW, not all that tiny, and especially not if I recall correctly, and he was born <40 weeks (first time mom). 

That aside...

She was absolutely clear on the fact that they were going to do a C/S-- so I am as sure as I can be, without actually being her, that this was not her misinterpretation, per se.  She was then told that she needed to be induced first, and was hooked up to pit, etc. for several hours before they wheeled her to the OR for the planned C/S.  I was totally dumbfounded and told her that I had never, ever heard of a woman being induced prior to a scheduled C/S-- not as part of the C/S process, anyway*.

Is there some crazy new (or old) technique, or something I'm missing, that would make induction before a planned C/S... make any sort of sense, whatsoever?

I told her that, unless I was missing something critical, my best guess is that there was a horrifying degree of miscommunication at work, to the point of malpractice...  That either A) her OB had ordered her prepped for a C/S, and someone misunderstood it as an order for induction (and no one admitted the mistake) or B) her OB/whomever decided, what the heck, let's give her a shot at laboring before we section her... but never told my friend that, nor told her that induction and C/S were not part of the same process. 

She KNEW she was having a C/S from the time she stepped in the hospital, but was induced anyway.  Whether or where there was a miscommunication or what, one thing she knows for sure is that no one ever said, "Okay, we're sectioning you now because the induction didn't work."  Because she went into surgery believing the induction was part of the C/S process.  

Anyone?  Thoughts?  Trust, I'd love to be wrong on this one...

*I want to be really clear that my friend had a lot of resentment for her OB "care" and had already concluded that she had been treated poorly throughout her pregnancy.  She was already p!ssed and was interested in my opinion as a layperson with an above-average understanding of birth, interventions, etc., and she always appreciates bluntness in such a case.  Just meaning that I would have been much milder and more non-committal when speaking to just about anyone else-- I don't make it my business to go around picking apart birth stories!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#2 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 PM

sounds weird to me....I have never heard of that!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Im a hospital-based midwife and I've never heard of that. Although I do work in Australia and some of our practices are different to the US. I still can't think of any clinical reason for it though.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM

I suspect that there was a misunderstanding.

There is something called a contraction non-stress test.  Oxytocin is given to cause contractions and the fetal response is gauged.  If there were concerns about fetal wellbeing due to poor placental function, this would make the decision to go to c-section clear.

I have told patients before that there is a concern and delivery is indicated.  If the degree of suspected compromise is great enough, I would offer to go directly to C-section.  However, if there is desire to attempt a vaginal delivery, I would do a contraction non-stress test.  The patient receives oxytocin until contractions start.  Often the fetal heart rate is atypical or even abnormal.  Because the initial contractions are often too mild to actually achieve cervical dilation, I then recommend an "elective" c-section, although in this case it is not truly elective, but the best chance to deliver a non-compromised baby.

If this is the case with your friend, there could definitely be more clear communication.  However, oxytocin before a c-section is not unheard of, particularly when there is concern for compromise in the settling where a vaginal delivery is desired.

Mom to three beautiful children.
#5 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Haelmoon-- such a test wouldn't take several hours, would it?  I'd have to check back with my friend, but I believe it was 3-5 hours' worth of pit.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#6 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM

It actually can take several hours for the contractions to start up. Oxytocin doesn't make contractions appear suddenly.
Either, it is unfortunate that the time was not taken to make sure you friend understood what was happening. I hope she and the baby are well.

Mom to three beautiful children.
#7 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting.  Like you said, even if that were the case for my friend, clearly it was not communicated, because she was told she was definitely having a C/S before she was ever admitted to the hospital.  If that really were so-- if there were no way they weren't going to perform a C/S-- it sounds like there'd be no need for the test you described.  Of course, she was treated pretty cr@ppily by the medical establishment throughout her entire pregnancy and birth anyway...

Baby (her first and only) is totally fine.  My friend ended up having a somewhat elective hysterectomy last year... not directly d/t the C/S (or not entirely), but her experience with pregnancy and birth certainly didn't leave her feeling much loyalty to her uterus.  gloomy.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page