Sadness for friends c-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend who just had her son this morning. He was a scheduled c-section prior to the due date because 'he was too big and it was medically dangerous' (from the Dr). He's 9lbs. And I have another friend due in a month that uses the same dr, and they've just raved about how great she is. I've put it out there that I love to talk about my birth experience, but they never want to. I just had to share with someone, it makes me so sad. And I'm so worried for my other friend due soon, that she'll get pushed into something similar. Of course with these ladies I'll be positive and focus on the great new mama and baby, but I wanted to commiserate here. It's really depressing me :-(

#2 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Not everyone is big into discussing birth experiences.  Just to put it out there.  Sometimes the reluctance is not about being unhappy, or having bad memories, but just not finding it that interesting.

Is it possible that you're feeling blue because you're having trouble finding your tribe IRL?  That makes a lot more sense then thinking you're feeling down because your friends have a doctor they rave about and healthy babies.

#3 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Not all women are honest with their friends about why they are having a c-section.  Just a thought.  There are women who, for countless reasons, might prefer a c-section. 

I would encourage you to put all possible energy into celebrating the birth of your friend's child.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

I would encourage you to put all possible energy into celebrating the birth of your friend's child.

yeahthat.gif

Regardless of how you feel about it, if the mama is happy and feels satisfied with her birth, that's what matters. If she isn't, be open to receiving her story whenever she might be ready.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#5 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

Not all women are honest with their friends about why they are having a c-section.  Just a thought.  There are women who, for countless reasons, might prefer a c-section. 

This this this.  They are happy, you need to get over it. Their birth, not yours. I never told anyone that my c-section was scheduled because my mother was was about to die and I wanted to make sure I would be able to travel to make it to her funeral. You never know what is going on in some peoples life. I never even told ,my best friends the full story.

DoubleDouble likes this.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#6 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM

I ended a friendship because when I was pregnant a friend who I thought would be happy for me and supportive told me that she was sad that I was not going to the home birth route, even after I explained that due to my medical history I was completely uncomfortable not being in a hospital.  I had defended her when people commented about her homebirth, it was devastating in my first trimester that she couldn't celebrate my child and my birth the way I had hers.  I was pleased as punch with my pitocin delivery that ended up with a epidural.  I really feel it is important to support and celebrate birth options that the mom feels comfortable with, even if that is a c-section, even if that is UC.  To me, that is empowerment. 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#7 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Is this MDC?

I completely agree that we should all consider the above issues in cases like this, but the OP also said she was going to be nothing but supportive and happy for her friends.  She just needed to vent and commiserate about what at least was described to her as a likely medically unnecessary c-section not freely chosen by her friend.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#8 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buko View Post

Is this MDC?

I completely agree that we should all consider the above issues in cases like this, but the OP also said she was going to be nothing but supportive and happy for her friends.  She just needed to vent and commiserate about what at least was described to her as a likely medically unnecessary c-section not freely chosen by her friend.

Yes, this is still MDC. I think all of these posts should be helpful to the OP, showing her why she doesn't need to be sad or upset.

My own experience- my best friend had to have a section because of an active herpes outbreak. Her husband and I are the only ones that know the truth about why she had a scheduled section. As far as everyone else knows, it was because the baby was too big. Herpes isn't something that a lot of people are going to feel comfortable talking about.
#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buko View Post

Is this MDC?

This.

I get why people are telling her to let it go. But it seems to me that the OP realizes she needs to let it go and that a part of that for her is getting it off her chest in a place where people (are supposed to) understand why it would bum her out.

So. OP, I get why it bums you out. Thank you for staying positive and supportive of your friend. As other people have stated, we really have no way of knowing her true feelings or even really what ACTUALLY went down....so you staying supportive and positive is helpful, possibly more helpful than you could ever know.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page