Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Birth and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/213-birth-beyond/)
-   -   CASTOR OIL ... I need some oppinions (http://www.mothering.com/forum/213-birth-beyond/1354051-castor-oil-i-need-some-oppinions.html)

courtneys1 05-24-2012 12:14 PM

So I took 1 tablespoon of castor oil around 10:15am and didnt really have symptoms, I had a few braxton hicks contractions but nothing major. I took 1 more tablespoon it is now 2:09pm. When I went to my dr on monday she said  I was about 2 cm dilated and my cervix was soft. I have been trying to keep busy and moving to get my labor jump started but nothing is working so my last resort was this dreaded Castor Oil (UGH SOOO NASTY!) anyway I need some help ladies who have tried this before how long does it usually take to induce labor (if it even works for me .. I know it doesnt work for everyone) but what is the usual window in which it should start working. If it doesnt work I refuse to take more and my little man will just come when he comes but I was just giving it a shot.

THANKS ALL!!!

olive&pimiento 05-24-2012 06:18 PM

If it's going to work, it usually happens within 24 hours.  I don't think you took enough to get the desired results though.  Usually 2 ozs castor oil with a repeat dose 4 hours later will bring on labor if baby is ready.  The midwives I worked with mixed it up into  a milkshake with ice cream and orange juice.  It most often worked. 

motherhendoula 05-24-2012 06:36 PM

Thats the dosage i used - but i used it AFTER i was already having some light thready contx all night - took some in the AM and she was born that night at 10PM.   It should kick in within a few hours. 

JamieCatheryn 05-25-2012 12:57 PM

How "overdue" are you? People sometimes walk around 2cm or more dilated a long while, don't feel too impatient if you're just at 38-41 weeks. When I was about 42w I took 1oz (2 Tbsp?) small dose like you and got a few contractions without pattern over the next few hours and started real labor with a pattern 6 hours later. I figured a small dose like that wouldn't kick anything into motion unless it was on the brink anyway, also at the time I, er, had need of the laxative effect.

phathui5 06-01-2012 05:33 PM

I've been having contractions all day that are still ten minutes apart and I would really like to not be pregnant. I took 1 tbsp with ice cream a couple minutes ago and I'll try another tablespoon in an hour if that doesn't seem to do anything.

aumismommy 06-04-2012 01:40 PM

I took 2oz when I was 41+1 because I was having tons of braxton hicks that would be 4min apart and a minute long and then they'd go away every night....this happened for two weeks.  I was getting tired and exhausted from these and we (myself, DH and midwives) thought this was best in order to have energy for birth. 

I took it at about 5pm, labor started about 10pm.  DS was born 8am next day. 

Good luck.

BeachLove 08-23-2012 06:44 PM

I didn't take it until the last minute (41 weeks 5 days). I took 2 oz though, which is 1/4 cup. I mixed it with scrambled eggs. Took it around 2:30 PM that day, and not much happened the first hour or 2. I started with lots of cramps after that, though with no pattern. As the afternoon went on, contractions and cramps got stronger. I didn't have the laxative effect until later on in the evening (7 PM-ish, I guess?). By 11 PM I was having contractions too uncomfortable to stay lying in bed. Baby was born at 9:24 AM the next day :)

EcoConsciousMom 08-26-2012 02:52 PM

When my daughter was born (Dec. 28, 2010) she was a week after the expected due date. I started feeling faster/stronger contractions, which I thought were just Braxton Hicks as they didn't hurt. Just stronger and more erratic. My midwife came after we talked saying it sounded like I was going into labor.

My midwife and doula arrived a few hours later. I started dilating more, but it wasn't progressing very fast. We tried to hurry it up a little. I didn't plan or really want this, but here's the back story. I was living in the mountains and 2 roads were closed on the way up, which made the trip take over 2 hours for my midwife to reach me. There was also a huge snow storm coming the next day. We were worried if my midwife left she wouldn't be able to get back up the mountain in time. 

So... we tried castor oil and some other homeopathic remedies. I tried taking castor oil twice, but threw it up both times within a matter of minutes. It really is nasty stuff. Instead I ended up taking my dog for a walk and that worked for me.

I've heard castor oil works for some, but it didn't for me. It was the only time I threw up the entire pregnancy too.

Sorry I don't remember the remedies I used. I just know they were homeopathic pills you pop under your tongue. 

1babysmom 09-03-2012 10:48 AM