open vagina 6 weeks after childbirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I had my first baby 6 weeks ago. I was wanting to know at what point should I expect that my vagina to return to 'as close as normal' as it is going to get after childbirth? I am concerned that my vagina is very open (and much larger) and I can see right inside it even when I am standing (not just squatting) over a mirror. I also seem to get air into it quite easily, just by changing position when I am lying down, or when walking, and it also makes a bit of noise (eek!) I am doing kegals every time I breastfeed my daughter, but I assume this only assists tightening up the inside, not the opening? 

#2 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM

not really sure- and this is totally not natural probably- but taking estrogen cream helps things to feel much better at least.  My old OB had me do that with my first two babies.  Since then either I have become accustomed to it or something- but it isn't a problem now.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 10 Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM

I never thought to look at my vulva or vaginal opening only six weeks post birth. It's really soon and nothing is the same or at its new normal quite yet. Perhaps your care provider can help?  

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 10 Old 05-26-2012, 06:34 AM

Honey, that tissue has just preformed miraculous feats...give it time. ;)

It will never go back to "what it was before" because "what it was before" no longer exists. But you will come to a point...maybe a few months from now, maybe a couple of years from now, when you will realize that it feels and looks really normal again!

Don't worry. What you are seeing/feeling sounds extremely normal for healing vagina/vulva. After my DD it was MANY months until things weren't COMPLETELY "weird" down there. After my son, it was TWO YEARS before I really felt like things were back to "normal"(and now, five months later, I'm expecting my next baby any day! Hahah).

So every pregnancy/woman is different. It WILL happen for you, though. Please be kind to your vagina, she has done something super wonderful for you and your child...give her a little time, she is amazing and will surprise you with how well she heals herself...but six weeks is not enough time to heal from what just happened down there!

love.gif

Oh, and...hormones being applied to the skin kind of freak me out..so I would want to research that (safety, breastfeeding, etc) before trying it...that's just already such a crazy time for hormones, I would want to be very sure it was safe/good for me before trying it.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#5 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 03:32 AM

Did you, by chance, have a second degree laceration during childbirth that was not stitched? A truly gaping vagina that persists is not normal. No, your vagina will never go back to the way it was before, but it should get pretty close. Kegels can help with this. However, if you have an actual gaping vagina, especially if this persists, I would get it looked at, personally, by a health care professional. If you have some sort of structural damage it might can be repaired and it might also be prudent to rule out any sort of rectocele, cystocele, etc. Are you having any incontinence issues?

CNM mama.

#6 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM

I agree with Holly, this sounds to me like an unrepaired second degree tear. I'd get checked out by a medical professional. Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Having sustained a second degree tear before to the opening of my vagina, I cannot imagine that the OP could be confusing "openness" with a gaping wound that was "just never stitched up".

Everything about the way she describes this down to the air that sneaks in there when changing positions sounds extremely normal for some women. I do not have super lax muscles at all, but after one of my births it DID take that long for me not to be so "open" down there. I had the same problem...long after the tissue was healed where I tore, etc...it was just more open.

OP, if you think something is wrong or that this is not normal, it is ALWAYS better to ask about it then to "wait and see"..but seriously, what you are describing sounds super normal (for me and other people I've known both personally IRL and online). Don't worry, I think you will find that this gets better with time.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#8 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

Having sustained a second degree tear before to the opening of my vagina, I cannot imagine that the OP could be confusing "openness" with a gaping wound that was "just never stitched up".

But the wound would no longer be gaping. With a second degree tear that was not sutured (or not sutured properly) it is possible for the skin to heal and the muscle to still be torn, which does result in a "gaping" of the vagina. It is also possible to have a tear repaired on the surface but the medical professional missed the tearing of the muscle (I have been told that at times it can be easy to miss because the muscle retracts) which would need to be corrected later surgically.

#9 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnea27 View Post

But the wound would no longer be gaping. With a second degree tear that was not sutured (or not sutured properly) it is possible for the skin to heal and the muscle to still be torn, which does result in a "gaping" of the vagina. It is also possible to have a tear repaired on the surface but the medical professional missed the tearing of the muscle (I have been told that at times it can be easy to miss because the muscle retracts) which would need to be corrected later surgically.

Exactly. 

CNM mama.

#10 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnea27 View Post

I know that all of this is possible...I'm saying, that is REALLY not what it sounds (to me) like this woman is experiencing.

I just don't think it's helpful to say that six weeks is way longer than normal for things to still be really open down there. For some women it REALLY IS normal.

OP: You didn't mention any tears at all...did you experience a tear of any kind during your birthing?

Tags
Raising Baby Green The Earth Friendly Guide To Pregnancy Childbirth And Baby Care , Vaginal Breech Birth , Ina Mays Guide To Childbirth , Great Expectations Your All In One Resource For Pregnancy Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page