Retained products (placenta?) with no symptoms -- WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hoping for some insight from some of the wise mamas/birth professionals on here. I would really like to avoid a D & C, but after an uneventful HB on March 14th, (with an experienced MW who said the placenta looked intact) I still have some sort of retained product. 

After about 9 weeks of postpartum bleeding that wouldn't stop, I went to see a CNM who referred me for an U/S. The U/S found a piece of retained something about 3 centimeters across and they recommended a D & C. I went home and had a good long talk with my uterus to get that thing out. And lo and behold, that day, I had some more cramping and bleeding and a chunk of something came out that looked like placenta. After that, no more bleeding at all and no more cramping. Also, according to a follow-up with the CNM's supervising OB, my uterus has returned to normal size. However, she sent me for a follow-up U/S just to make sure and there is still a piece in there about 1 cm by 1/2 cm. ARGH!!!!

They are still recommending a D & C. Does anyone have experience with just waiting with something like this? I really don't want to undergo unnecessary surgery. Is it possible that it will just come out with my first PP period?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Your first PP period could easily take many months, even over a year to come. I'd worry a bit about continued bleeding, infection, or maybe calcification happening, though that's a pretty small chunk or clot now so maybe not such a big worry. Maybe I'd try some oxytocic herb such as a cohosh, hopefully under the care of somebody trained in its use.

User Tag List