inverted uterus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a fully inverted uterus 6 weeks ago. Lost 11 units of blood and came close to dying. Had a 3rd degree tear and cut. Got flown to a city hospital by helicopter and put into intensive care, before returning to my home town. All up 8 days in hospital.
Am almost completely back to normal now (apart from the belly still looking a bit pregnant!), but all things considered, feeling terrific.

My doctor said if I was to have another child (which I'm not - two is enough!), it would be a caesar next time, no discussion otherwise.
I would not wish this sort of thing on my worst enemy - and it's so good to be on the other side of things and be alive!

#2 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

So sorry to hear of your difficulties but glad you're on the mend!

#3 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cynthia!
Nearly 8 weeks, wow what a difference a bit more time makes! Had doc's 6 week check, and he his happy how everything is going now too. Now to deal with the teary side of things...hasn't been too bad, just little things set me off, then I start thinking about everything and how I nearly wasn't here to see my boys grow up. I guess it had to happen eventually, just the whole scale of what happened is finally hitting home a bit. But am all good 99% of the time :) :)
Seeya xox

#4 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear it! Postpartum can be a difficult time for some women and even those who had a problem-free birth. Hang in there!

#5 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

There is a social worker at my hospital who I will contact. Not like I am a headcase or anything, but it might help. Worth a chat to her anyway.

Thanks for the support!

xox

#6 of 8 Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Administrator

You're welcome! We have some pretty fabulous women here at Mothering who can offer some pretty great support too. Feel free to post and ask for help and advice when you need it. smile.gif

#7 of 8 Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM

keza,

I had an inverted uterus as well after the birth of my daughter in october 2010.

I'm not sure how much blood I lost, but I believe they gave me at least 3 units and I remained anemic for a year or so afterwards.

I ended up with an episiotomy after three hours of pushing.

Do go and see someone.  This was my first (and now last) birth experience, so it wasn't until I watched several friends have babies the next summer that I realized how truly close I had come to not being here and how scary that was and how difficult my recovery was (I had a uterine infection that led to another hospital stay a week later and a few other complications).  I realized about six months ago that I was still tearing up every time I spoke about my birth and finally started seeing a counselor.  It has been a great help.

Best of luck on your continued recovery and congrats on your newest baby!

Xila

#8 of 8 Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Xila,

Thanks so much! Wow, you've messaged me right on the 6 month mark to the day - how freaky!

I think I will talk to my doctor about it all and see what he thinks...
I did try to contact the social worker at my hospital - she never got back to me, and that was after she was told twice by one of my nurse friends that she really should get in touch with me... To say it was poor 'customer service' is an understatement, as I never heard anything from her.

After everything that happened I have been lucky with no other complications, and pretty much back to 100% (apart from the old pelvic floor not as good as it used to be, but it's tolerable!)

Yes I still get teary when I think about it all, or if I just get frustrated or tired and have a sob, then I think about everything and turn myself into a bit of a sooking mess... ;)

Hope you are all recovered after 2 years :)

Thanks for the reply,

Keza

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page