Harder to push underwater??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,

I am PG with my 4th and planning my first waterbirth. I had my other three at home with a MW. The part I dread most of my labors is pushing then the crowning. Although I know most women like this part this is the worst one for me. I rather have 1/2 more of killer contractions than to go through pushing. And I dont push for that long maybe 15 and I have never torn either so I dont know what it is.

Anyway I was looking up some water birth stories and came across one where a woman was having her first waterbirth after 5 dry briths and she mentions that when it came time to push it was harder under water and that she was prepared for this because the books she had read on water birth said the same thing.

I thought that water birth would make the pushing easier. Please someone say it isnt so!!! Comment?

Michelle
#2 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 03:51 AM

I had 4 hospital births with epidural followed by a home waterbirth. I think the pushing was easier this last time around.
#3 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 03:52 AM

I have no comparison b/c both of mine were water births. But, I do remember hearing my mwives saying water pushing was much easier.
#4 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 01:26 PM

I had the opposite experience. First was way hard pushing, and I tore (though a shorter pushing stage by a few minutes) Second in water was not as hard, though still super intense, minor tear.

I really liked the H2O.
#5 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 01:40 PM

My first birth was on dry land, but w/an epidural and on my back, though the epi had worn off. Pushed 1 1/2 hours.

Second birth in water, unmedicated. I "pushed" for less than 10 minutes, it was more like trying to hold baby's head in with my hand than pushing, she came flying right out and I was trying to slow her down. Don't know how long I was at 10cm before pushing, no vag check, so I could have been there awhile, but it was about 10 minutes from first strong urge to push to birth.

I would think due to ease of mom's positioning in the water it might be a little easier to push in the water, upright positions might be more comfortable. However, my midwives did mention that the water puts a nice counterpressure on the head as it crowns, allowing the head to ease out a little slower. I however, did not find this to be true for me I do know I would never birth on dry land again!
#6 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Among my two spontaneous labors (that is, no one telling me when to push,) I had one waterbirth and one on dry land. I really didn't notice a difference in difficulty.
#7 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, remember that maternal efforts during pushing only make up about 30% of getting the baby out. I've had many women in the water slightly pushing at the peak of every contraction until the baby is very low on the pelvic floor, ready to come under the pubic bone. Then, they start pushing in earnest, helping their body.

I feel like pushing in water allows you to assume a variety of positions, lets your support person/partner support you easier and also makes it easier for YOUR hands to be on your baby's head as it emerges.
#8 of 10 Old 04-17-2004, 03:56 PM

I found it way, way harder to push on my back in the lithomy position on dry land with my first baby than it was to push kneeling and then sitting in the birth pool with my second baby.

Water all the way baby!
#9 of 10 Old 04-19-2004, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I will post when I give birth again and let you all know how it went.

Michelle
#10 of 10 Old 04-19-2004, 01:19 AM

I had my first on dry land, and second in water. It didn't make pushing any more difficult under the water, it just felt reeeaallllyyyy good to get into that tub during the contrax.

I think pushing underwater may have been more comfortable also because I didn't get that 'ring of fire' feeling as I did with my first.

Good luck, here's to a safe & enjoyable birth!

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page