Blood type incompatibility and neonatal jaundice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I was under the impression that blood type incompatibility could be a factor in neonatal jaundice, but am still fuzzy on what sort of incompatibility is a factor. 

I ask because I had jaundice and in 1978 was put under some bili lights for a couple days (I think?  Off and on?) to clear it.  FWIW, I am A- and my mom is AB+.

Now I am pregnant (6 weeks), with a child that is almost certainly Rh+, and probably will be A+.  (My husband is A+, but further, is of Asian descent, so has a 90%+ chance of being homozygous for Rh+-- i.e., +/+.  The best hypothesis is that all of my children will be Rh+, and I guess that-- at least-- 75% will be A+.)

So... does it work "both" ways, or only one?  That is, is an Rh- child born to an Rh+ mother likely to have jaundice, but an Rh+ child born to an Rh- mother not likely to have the same issue.... or what?  Is it more a matter of A/B/O incompatibility?  Anyone have any info? Thanks!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#2 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

Lots of babies get jaundice.  There are a bunch of different things that can cause it. 

However, Rh+ children will not have any reaction to Rh- blood - Rh- means that rhesus factor is not present in the blood, and you can't have an immune reaction to something that isn't there.  Rh- kids can have a reaction to Rh+ blood, because it contains rhesus factor, which is foreign to their immune systems. 

Rh+ babies can get jaundice anyway, but not from Rh factor incompatibility issues. 

The bigger issue is that if you, as an Rh- woman, are exposed to your baby's Rh+ blood, you could develop an immune reaction that causes serious complications and hemolytic disease of the newborn in future pregnancies.  Rhogam prevents this. 

#3 of 3 Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

However, Rh+ children will not have any reaction to Rh- blood - Rh- means that rhesus factor is not present in the blood, and you can't have an immune reaction to something that isn't there.

Yes, thank you!  This is exactly what I was thinking, but found some stupid conflicting info online.  I know there are various causes of jaundice, just thinking about some of the factors, since I had it.  Interestingly, my brother (also A-), did not have it.  Who knows why?  We were both born within 2 days of our due dates-- though he was induced-- and were unmedicated vaginal births, etc., etc.

No argument from me re: the Rhogam-- I know some people like to avoid it, or at least wait until after the baby is born to make sure he/she is Rh+.  But in my case, it is a near certainty that my baby will be Rh+, so I have no problem getting it late in pregnancy and after birth.  I got a Rhogam shot during (but before the bulk of) my miscarriage in April as well, just in case.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page