Difference between La Bassine and Aquaborn? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 31 weeks, need to order a birth pool. I've used the La Bassine for two prior births and loved it. 

But I found this one:  http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/aquaborn-eco-pools-c-1_437.html  called an "Aquaborn" and I'm thinking about trying it this time.

It's supposed to be a bit deeper and I like that it has a lid but other than that I don't know if it's much different.  I'm actually worried with me being 5'2" that it might be too high for me to easily get in and out.  

I've also heard very good things about BPIAB. 

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used both or at least the Aquaborn and what their thoughts were. 

I also am wondering what the difference might be on the bottom of these 3 pools.  The La Bassine was an inflated bottom but sometimes just a bit uncomfy with the large air chambers but I suppose that could be solved by using a liner and putting pillows under it?  Are the other pool bottoms similar or softer? 

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM

I'm 5'6" and anything deeper than La Bassine would have been too deep. I wouldn't have been able to sit after birth, hold my baby and not drown. My labors are on the quick side so the lid isn't appealing. A tarp can serve the same purpose. I didn't find the bottom bothersome at all. La Bassine is, to me, the most pleasant looking. I find the others look cheap. BPIAB is too big IMO.  

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... maybe I should just stick with what's worked out for me so well twice already?

I have the kiddie pool with the fishes on it (given to me by midwife 4 years ago, never used it except my kids play in it in summer) and I think for me (just how I am during labor/birth) it is just too distracting, and I even stepped in it a few days ago and feel like it's too small - I think the La Bassine is more an oval, doesn't make me feel so trapped??  I don't know what it is about the kiddie pool but I just feel like it would distract me too much for some reason. 

Anyone found the seat in the BPIAB useful?  But I think that one is also deeper and bigger than La Bassine, huh?

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#4 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 PM

I've birthed in the fishy pool and agree that it's distracting and small. It works, but I wouldn't use it unless I had to. Have you tried emailing or calling one of the HB suppliers that sells several of the pools? They might know their range and/or have had feedback from their clients.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page