Post-partum Bleeding Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, it's been three weeks and three days since I gave birth and I'm still bleeding. I came across an article while nak and read that if you're bleeding RED after a week you need to contact your health provider immediately. I'm still pretty red, though it's slowed down a lot and sometimes I can go almost all day without seeing anything, then I'll bleed a little and it'll last for a few hours, then stop again, etc. So, it's slowing down, but the colour hasn't seemed to change a lot. I smell just fine -- the smell reminds me of a mixture between my regular period smell and the smell of... semen (strangely enough.. haha). So, the scent isn't like roses, but definitely nothing too foul. And I feel just fine otherwise... Is this normal? I recall bleeding for at least a month with my daughter, but it was six years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. I guess I'm not in the mood to get an infection, so I might be a little paranoid, but it just seems that before I bled similarly, but then I read otherwise and it's confusing me! 

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM

I don't know... I know that I was definitely still bleeding red after just one week, and I also remember that I was still bleeding 3 weeks after my babies. If it's getting lighter/lower flow, I think that's the most important thing. I do know that if it seems to pick up, that probably means that you're doing too much and that you need to take it a little easier.

What you're describing here sounds normal to me, but I'd definitely at least call your health care provider if you're concerned.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 4 Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I wouldn't be worried about a medical problem from that exactly. But it could be a sign you are doing too much. Until the bleeding slows way down like the last day of your period you really shouldn't be moving around too much, just sit/lay down at home and care for your baby for the most part, even now 3 weeks out if you're sometimes bleeding that much.

#4 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM

I bled for around 2 weeks with some breakthrough bleeding for another week. I was a little concerned and called my midwife and she said that I needed to rest more and take it easy. She also advised no lifting heavier than my baby for 4 weeks. I would call my healthcare provider just to be sure but it sounds like you're normal.

Eri mom to our two beautiful DDs (born 5/2012) and (7/2014). I also happen to be married to THE best DH ever! We're a proud Christian family!

" I carried you for nine months, and I'm going to carry you until you can carry yourself on your own."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page