True Macrosomia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first baby was 13.5 lbs, and my ultrasound yesterday puts this baby at 14 lbs right now.  I'm trying to find some support or information or at least someone out there who this has happened to.  I'm feeling very alone and very sad right now because it seems like, unlike HELLP or pre-eclampsia or breech where it happens to multiple people, it seems like I'm literally the only person on earth who grows babies so big with no medical reason for it.

My first was very hands off and we didn't have any indication of unusual size until she was born.  This one I have gone through an OB office and have been watched carefully and there is nothing I have done to cause this.  My pregnancies are textbook perfect.

I'm scheduled for a c-section next week if the baby doesn't come on his own by then.  I don't want it but I don't see another way.  If I wait, I'm risking him growing even bigger and risking not having my doctor who I know and trust be the one to perform it.

I've tried searching macrosomia but all I find are threads full of well meaning people reassuring others that their bodies won't grow a baby so big it can't be born barring any medical factors.  That's nice but it's not true.  That is my normal, and seeing stuff like that just makes me feel bad, like I should be gung ho about VBACing regardless of the size.  It makes me confused about what I should do.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#2 of 2 Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Mine were a fairly typical 9 and 8 lbs born naturally so I'm sorry I can't speak from experience. The first, the 9 lb one did have a *huge* head though, which took a while to mold so I could push. They do slow way down in growth in the last weeks of gestation, if that helps you feel any better. You could google natural birth stories of 12,13,14lb babies, there are a few, even some home birth stories. Apparently the rate of babies getting over even 11lbs by birth is 0.1%. The less interventions and more upright/active laboring and pushing the better chance of success if you're going for a vaginal birth of course. Your baby is probably going to be at least 12 lbs, ultrasounds can be off but this kid is certainly a good sized one! But if your instinct says planned c/s is the best way to go, and you're pretty sure it's not outside pressures causing fear that's telling you this, then go with your gut and have the surgery. You might be weighing the chances of failure to progress or even dangerous complications, even something within telling you a problem will likely happen. Or it might just be doubt you could work through. I guess only you can know that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page