#1 of 9 Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
SFB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  • Improving Birth National Rally for Change

• Sept 3, 2012

• 10am - noon

We are rallying across the country with women and birth professionals for evidence based maternity care.  Please go to improvingbirth.org to search for participating cities.

Sandra.  Married to Scott since 9-00.  Mom to Erika 7-06, Ava 8-08 and Lukas 10-10.  hbac.gif novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif femalesling.GIF winner.jpg familybed1.gif
#2 of 9 Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Im in bump

#3 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Looking forward to it!!

Wife to a Mad Scientist and SAHM to my giant toddler boy, born 1/20/12  
#4 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Here is the website if anyone is interested to see if there is a rally site in your city!

http://www.improvingbirth.org/

I look forward to going in San Diego :)

#5 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 02:52 PM

I'm going to the one where I live.  I've never done anything like this before, but it sounds like fun.

#6 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Did anyone go to theirs?  I missed it because my car had broken down. :(

#7 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM

I made it with my daughter! There was a fairly good turnout, but it was pretty hot outside and as it was labor day there wasn't much traffic past our rally site. 

I think the overall message is awesome, but I'm pretty ambivalent about some other aspects of it, particularly that only "approved" slogans were allowed on signs. And that the organizers were really denouncing the term "protest", even though I understand in this circumstance a protest isn't exactly necessary or desirable, but protests aren't horrible evil things and have historically accomplished a whole lot. Like Labor Day, thanks to the labor struggle which involved a hell of a lot of protests and ultimately won workers the 40 hour work week. So it just really irks me to be talking shit about protests on a day that you have off of work thanks to protests, haha. 

#8 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM

I went and it was very positive.  We are hoping to follow up by starting a birthcircle (or similar opportunity)  4-6 times a year to give women more opportunities to explore birth options.

I found it interesting that the only negative exchanges we had were people that thought we were some kind of abortion/right to life rally/protest?
The signs that gave them this impression were "evidence based birth"   and "know your options" or possibly just seeing something with birth or a pregnant woman.

Only 1 person came back to actually talk to us but we had a few cars where people screamed out the window "You should be ashamed of yourself."   

Any other locations run into this too?  

It was annoying that the press did not show up at our location.  We had at least 25 adults and the cutest children and babies.

I certainly would have liked for the few cars that yelled at us to have actually seen the reason why we were there-- hopefully other stories made it to them.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#9 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Weird, we didn't have anything like that happen! Though we did have someone yell "Hippies go home!" but that just made everyone laugh. And local news did show up, but there were about 200 people at the rally

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page