anyone choose hospital birth after previous homebirths? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had medical issues with each labour/delivery and hubby and I have decided (after 3 homebirths) that we will be delivering the hospital this time around.  Is there anyone else here who has made this decision or thinking about it?  To be honest dh and I are still traumatised by the difficult birth 2 years ago...

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#2 of 25 Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM

I have had two hospital births and one homebirth, and while I hope to never do anything in a hospital again, least of all have a baby, I am leaning toward a birth center for number 4 (due in April). I preferred home over hospital by far, but it was a scary experience at one point and I am still upset over how my midwife's practice partner handled some things. I feel traumatized enough that when I found out I was expecting, fear of birth was my first reaction, and I am thinking perhaps a birth center will bridge the gap and make for more attentive care without overly medicalizing things...

Mind if I ask what happened to make you concerned?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 25 Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well I've had long difficult births with them all but here's the list...
#1 hospital birth with OB, epidural for a few hours but worn off to push, dd born posterior with episiotomy (decells and near c-section due to cord wrapped around her body twice). 8lb9
#2 hospital birth with mw, natural, very slow labour & long second stage, meconium (needed deep suctioning at birth), severe hemmorhage with huge clots, given oxytocin & methergine 9lb3
#3 homebirth with mw, another slow labour (erratic cx), short second stage but another hemmorhage, stuck shoulders. 9lbs13
#4 homebirht with mw, excruciating delivery with posterior presentation, meconium, shredded membranes, 9lbs7

#5 homebirth with mw, cervical lip with urge to push for hours, mws pushing cervix aside during cx, most painful of all (was asking to transfer), meconium, posterior presentation 9lbs15.

I feel like after 3 posterior births...and the 2 presenting properly were hemmorhages...I have no faith in things going smoothly.  I have been fortunate to have things end with a healthy baby and that I am grateful for.  At this point though if I have another posterior baby I would seriously consider an epidural.  That's probably not a popular opinion but a properly presenting baby feels like no big deal to me compared to delivering a 1 oz short of 10 lb baby face up.  Hours of pain so bad that I can't even feel when a contraction stops is not normal.  All of my babies have head circumferences off the charts and I just don't think I can do that again.  I was just wondering if there was anyone in the same boat.  It seems most people I know have early or on-time babies with short labours and are tiny!  I don't know why I have so much trouble.  I plan on seeking chiro treatment in the hopes it will help.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#4 of 25 Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Yes - we are planning a hospital birth with #2 in January.  For my first I was a HB transfer, but all in all, the hospital was a great experience (for me anyway!)  Mind you, this hospital is VERY PROGRESSIVE and baby friendly, so my experience my differ from others.  The food was also pretty good. ;}

Alenushka and Poogles0213 like this.
#5 of 25 Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 PM

I would consider the hospital again in the future if it seemed logical (my HB plans are based largely on research and the close proximity of a good NICU to my house, plus, zero complications).   I also have a friend who would like to go to the hospital for her 4th baby after 2 HBs, for the exact same reason as you.  Her last birth was long, and went from 2 cm to 10 and baby out in eight minutes.  She wants an epi in for that last ten  minutes and I don't blame her!  For me, the pain was managable until I was persistantly offered an epi and lost focus, so that's actually a downside of hospital birth to me.  :)

#6 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM

I had a hospital birth with baby #1, birth center with baby #2... I WANT a homebirth with a 3rd, but a hospital isn't out of question, either... but I didn't like going to the birth center... didn't have a traumatic experience there or anything, just isn't for me. 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#7 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM

I had 2 hospital births, then 3 home births, and then went back to hospital birth.  My hospital induction with epidural was the best, most peaceful, most respectful and most empowering birth of the bunch of them.  

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#8 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 PM

I had two hospital births, then two out of hospital births, than the last was a hospital birth again. I actually ended up with a very needed cesarean for the last one, but I'd planned to go back to the hospital from the beginning of the pregnancy. Since I've known women who have lost babies over the years, I honestly just feel a lot more comfortable in the hospital. I feel that I am in the safest place, if something goes wrong, and thus I feel safer mentally, too. Also, I'm tired of the pain and don't want to deal with it anymore if I don't have to. I don't get off on birth anymore, it is something that happens to get a baby.

#9 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 PM

We aren't planning on having any more biological children, but if I happen to get pregnant in the future, I would want a hospital birth.  My boys were both born at home and I had amazing experiences with both of their births.  However, there were complications that make me feel like home birth is no longer the safest option for me or a baby of mine.

#1...24 hour labor, cord wrapped around neck, body and arm making it really difficult for baby to descend (crowned 3 times, kept getting pulled back).  Severe hemorrhage after I birthed the placenta.

#2...4 hour super easy labor, but baby aspirated meconium and needed to be suctioned.  I hemorrhaged again even more severely.  Passed out and lost consciousness and dh called 911.

Alenushka likes this.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#10 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Yes, we lost our midwife and I liked the ob I had seen after my miscarriage so we used her this time. It worked out really well for us and I ended up birthing with the cnm on call after a necessary pit induction. I don't know what we will do if we have more, my births have gone pretty good but 2 unplanned hospital births in there and I was crazy worried about this one after losing the last baby so I think it helped to have a bit more hands-on with ultrasound and such. 

#11 of 25 Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Yes...I had my first at a hospital, second at home, third at a hospital and am scheduled for induction tomorrow with my fourth at the hospital.  (and am freaking out a little about it...not what I was hoping for at all)

#12 of 25 Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_the_hip View Post

Well I've had long difficult births with them all but here's the list...
#1 hospital birth with OB, epidural for a few hours but worn off to push, dd born posterior with episiotomy (decells and near c-section due to cord wrapped around her body twice). 8lb9
#2 hospital birth with mw, natural, very slow labour & long second stage, meconium (needed deep suctioning at birth), severe hemmorhage with huge clots, given oxytocin & methergine 9lb3
#3 homebirth with mw, another slow labour (erratic cx), short second stage but another hemmorhage, stuck shoulders. 9lbs13
#4 homebirht with mw, excruciating delivery with posterior presentation, meconium, shredded membranes, 9lbs7

#5 homebirth with mw, cervical lip with urge to push for hours, mws pushing cervix aside during cx, most painful of all (was asking to transfer), meconium, posterior presentation 9lbs15.

I feel like after 3 posterior births...and the 2 presenting properly were hemmorhages...I have no faith in things going smoothly.  I have been fortunate to have things end with a healthy baby and that I am grateful for.  At this point though if I have another posterior baby I would seriously consider an epidural.  That's probably not a popular opinion but a properly presenting baby feels like no big deal to me compared to delivering a 1 oz short of 10 lb baby face up.  Hours of pain so bad that I can't even feel when a contraction stops is not normal.  All of my babies have head circumferences off the charts and I just don't think I can do that again.  I was just wondering if there was anyone in the same boat.  It seems most people I know have early or on-time babies with short labours and are tiny!  I don't know why I have so much trouble.  I plan on seeking chiro treatment in the hopes it will help.

I'm sorry to hear that your births have been so traumatizing. 

Even though I had a very successful (no pain and quick) home birth with my first, and only so far, it sounds like you are open to everything. You tried and found it not for you. I respect you for continuing to try after each having problems. Not many women would have.

I was 9lbs2 and my mom is tiny (about 5'4" and 110 lbs). My father was a chiropractor and I'm sure she had a ton of adjustments during her pregnancy. I was also born at home. My dad actually delivered me as they say the "doctor slept on the recliner the whole time". He also spelled my name wrong on my birth certificate, wrong birth date, wrong address, etc... Not the best doctor I'd say.

Anyways, I also had adjustments during my pregnancy and even labor (moved into their house for the birth). It sped up my labor rather quickly and I had a very easy water birth. I was surprised my daughter was only 7lbs8 since I was so big, I expected her to be too. Lol.

Wanted to tell a little history and my experiences in the hopes it helps with your decision. Chiropractic care could very easily help you. It's definitely worth a try. Good luck with your next birth! :)

#13 of 25 Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM

I had a homebirth with my 3rd and a planned induction and epidural with my 4th (first epi ever). Like a pp said I was sick of the pain and just felt safer at the hospital. My 3rd dd was 9.5 lbs with a 40 cm head. There were moments during her long birth where we though we'd have to go to the hospital fully dilated (I was pushing for 5 hours). It was very traumatising, my midwife basically had to pull her out as I pushed. I had nightmares of the pain for months. When I found I was pregnant again I knew I wouldn't be able to do that again
My hospital birth was great. I felt respected, pampered even. Having the epidural made me feel I was staying at a hotel and not labouring. The birth was complicated as all my births. He came out face first and 9.6 lbs. Not having the epidural would mean I wouldn't be able to push him out and end up with a c-section. It confirmed for me I had made the right choice

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#14 of 25 Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Me :)

My first was a homebirth.  The birth itself was fine, but it was very painful.  I really wanted an epi but couldn't bear to get in the car and go to the hospital.  This time I really want to birth in a hospital with an epidural, hopefully as early in labour as I can get (my labour last time was pretty fast).  I've been doing some reading about epidrals and the modern ones don't have the same risk of increased intervention as the old style ones did.  I am looking forward to it.

s27dolphin likes this.
#15 of 25 Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM

My first was a HB transfer -- I was in labor for 3 days and transferred for exhaustion -- ended up being a fairly textbook delivery with an OB (i.e., flat on back with epidural).  

I would have loved to try to HB again for #2, but DH was traumatized by the transfer experience and was determined to avoid the HB experience this time.  I agreed since this time we had access to a natural-birth-focused birthing center at a local hospital.  

I loved a lot of things about laboring at home, but birthing in the hospital the second time around was phenomenal.  If we have a third, I would probably go back there rather than try for a HB.  

Here's what I loved about birthing in the hospital: 

- I didn't have to stress about cleaning the house and preparing for the midwives to come (I was stocking the fridge for weeks ahead of time, etc.)

- my birth plan could be one page, rather than 6 (ok, i was a little over the top on that one, but it was #1 for me.)  With my HB, I felt like I needed to think of all the different eventualities -- like, who is in charge of emptying the birth pool if we transfer, so it doesn't spring a leak and ruin my whole house while we're gone?  (This actually happened to an MDC mom, which is the only reason I thought to include this in my plan.)   When you pay for a hospital birth, you pay for someone else to think of those kind of details.

- Other things I didn't have to worry about: oceans of blood-soaked laundry, protecting my good mattress, dripping birthing-pool water all over the floor, having my neighbors listen to me screaming in the middle of the night (#1 was really painful, but #2 was a piece of cake).

- This hospital and CNM were super supportive of natural birth -- there was seriously no medical nonsense at all.  No fighting over anything with nurses, etc.  The pediatrician came to see the baby while I took a bubble bath in the giant hot tub in the room.  She didn't even bat an eyelash.  They brought me food cooked to order.  And they sent me home less than 10 hours after giving birth.  It was seriously like staying in a high-end spa.  

- In the end, the cost for the hospital was slightly more than my HB, but not excessively more.  Worth it for DH's peace of mind and the delight of coming home to a clean house.  

So, I'd say, go for that hospital birth, because it can be a really nice experience.  And, as we HB advocates always remind one another, where you feel safer, you are safer.  So if you think a hospital will be safer for you, you're probably right.  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#16 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My first birth was a drug-free hospital birth, textbook labor, fast pushing phase, easy peasy.

My second birth was a homebirth, not quite textbook, not quite as easy, but no problems. A little faster overall than the first birth.

My third birth was an emergency c-section at 25 weeks after a 2.5-week hospital stay.

I am planning a hospital birth this time, but the first thing that "drew" me towards the hospital wasn't the fact that a c-section would be quickly available. It was me, picturing myself in the postpartum room, peaceful with just me and the baby, without my 6-yr-old and 3-yr-old trying to hang on me and crawl all over me like they do every.single.other.day.of.their.lives. lol. I do have the option to homebirth this time, and as long as I'm getting prenatal care from somewhere, my midwife doesn't mind jumping in at the very last minute, but right now, today, I am 99% sure that we're going to the hospital this time.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#17 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM

And one more post b/c I forgot to sub.

Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#18 of 25 Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM

I had a lovely home waterbirth with my daughter, but am opting for a hospital birth this time around.  Two reasons mainly.  First financially, choosing home birth, which would cost around 4000 for us, will mean that I return to work about a month sooner and I think this time I'd like to take a longer maternity leave. Secondly, they are renovating our hospital to include water birth and it will be done in time for this birth so there are options now that didn't exist when I was pregnant last time.  I'm also a Labor and Delivery nurse at this hospital and feel very confident that my wishes will be respected and that I will get to pick my "team."  I'm grieving a little for the loss of privacy and intimacy that I know will happen, but I still think it's the right choice.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#19 of 25 Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM

I had my son at a free standing birth center but I would consider giving birth in a hospital next time. I don't like the idea of an IV and not being allowed to eat or drink. But I do like that I could stay for a day or two. I felt very rushed out of the birth center and I had some complications with healing afterward. Personally, I can't really imagine having a homebirth because of the mess and the fact that I'm a screamer redface.gif

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#20 of 25 Old 11-03-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

My first birth was a drug-free hospital birth, textbook labor, fast pushing phase, easy peasy.
My second birth was a homebirth, not quite textbook, not quite as easy, but no problems. A little faster overall than the first birth.
My third birth was an emergency c-section at 25 weeks after a 2.5-week hospital stay.
I am planning a hospital birth this time, but the first thing that "drew" me towards the hospital wasn't the fact that a c-section would be quickly available. It was me, picturing myself in the postpartum room, peaceful with just me and the baby, without my 6-yr-old and 3-yr-old trying to hang on me and crawl all over me like they do every.single.other.day.of.their.lives. lol. I do have the option to homebirth this time, and as long as I'm getting prenatal care from somewhere, my midwife doesn't mind jumping in at the very last minute, but right now, today, I am 99% sure that we're going to the hospital this time.

What a difference a few weeks can make! I've encountered a ton of roadblocks while trying to plan for the hospital birth that I want, and on the other hand, have had random things thrown at me to make me more comfortable and confident with homebirth (even being post c-section), so we are planning a homebirth again.

#21 of 25 Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM

I had a great experience in the hospital with my first. For my second, I had a homebirth because I thought it would be safer for me and my baby. Everything went really well. Since then, I have done a lot of reading and thinking and no longer feel like homebirth is as safe as I thought it was. Definitely not as safe as a hospital birth in my opinion. I am planning a hospital birth for my third and actually really excited about it!

s27dolphin likes this.
#22 of 25 Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 PM

I had a hospital birth, a homebirth and then a hospital birth because my belief about homebirth safety is now that it is not safe enough for me to feel safe. I was low risk with all and all were unmedicated. All were wonderful!

#23 of 25 Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM

I had a unplanned, unassisted homebirth when my 2nd son decided to start crowning barely an hour and 45 minutes after my very first contraction-we simply didn't think we were anywhere near to needing to leave for the hospital.

He was born with bruising on his face, and the color was scary, I questioned (in the moment) if he might have gone without oxygen, and never wanted to have an unassisted birth or could imagine the desire for that; having had that experience.   (he was perfectly fine, the color was simply bruising from his incredibly quick passage through the birth canal)

So my 3rd and 4th were born in hospitals (as was my first, all unmedicated natural deliveries)  even though I woudl have liked to have used a birth center option with a midwife, we couldn't afford it.

Now with my 5th, I have a great backup OB, a very experienced and fabulous midwife, and I'm hoping for an ASSISTED homebirth this go round. :)  If all the stars weren't so aligned I wouldn't be going that route, but I feel very at peace and confidant that this is the best choice for us.  If not, the hospital will take us about 7-8 minutes to get to in a pinch. :)

#24 of 25 Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM

I wish I had the progressive, spa like options in a hospital that so many are mentioning!

To be honest, my laboring experiences weren't traumatic, but very frustrating, aggravating, and uncomfortable, and everything (in 3 different hospitals) felt like an argument from start to finish.

It is the after-birth stage with all the baby interventions/not releasing the baby for minimum of 48 hrs that is my biggest problem.  I've had a horrible experience 3/4 times post-birth. If it was just the birth part I could deal with hospitals, but the baby part makes my claws come out.  I had a huge post typed up, and it disappeared, but suffice to say 3 out of 4 times we felt trapped in a filthy prison and had issues leaving with our healthy baby-48 hrs or more after birth.  The anxiety of going through that again with another baby was my biggest motivating factor in wanting a home birth (which is the much more expensive option with our insurance)

#25 of 25 Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM

W/ labors & births like the first poster I would probably go to the hospital. There might be a more progressive hospital a little further away worth the drive. My first baby was a terrible air force hospital experience, second a fabulous home birth, 3rd the home birth fell through as the midwife couldn't be present so we went to the hospital. NOT the local hospital w/ a 30% cesarean rate but a magnet hospital 30 min. away & SO much better than the first. My faith has been restored in hospitals but it still wasn't as good as our home birth so we're angling that way again for our 4th. My labors are all easy & uncomplicated though, I have heard a lot of positive stories about how an epidural can really help some women rest to avoid a section. I hope your experience is good whatever you choose!

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page