Hypnobabies question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

For those of you who have learned hypnobabies, how often do they say stuff about hypnosis "anesthesia"? Because as they like to point out, words are powerful, and that word makes me cringe. I've had 2 natural births and all I associate medical anesthesia with is risks, not benefit. I know in my mind that this is different but I don't want to fight the clarification internally all the time when I hear it, especially in scripts.

#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They say it a lot. If you have a serious aversion to the word I would suggest looking for something else. If you can get past it it is a wonderful program.
#3 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM

They do use the word, but you learn about it as "Hypno-anesthesia" which is very different to medical anesthesia. You also do a lot of "fear clearing" in the course, which would really benefit you with your aversion. It is a really great program that worked very well for me, and works well for other women as well! Maybe you could find an instructor in your area and talk to her about it.  Or if you plan on doing the Home-study, you could call Hypnobabies Head-quarters and talk to them. They are very helpful to the Home-study students. Good luck!!

#4 of 5 Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM

Although they do say "hypno-anesthesia" and "anesthesia," they also point out that actually what hypnosis can provide is technically analgesia because you still feel sensations--they just aren't painful. I had a similar bias against the term "anesthesia" because I have had life-threatening reactions to it in the past, but I went through hypnobabies without any difficulty and benefited from it during birth.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#5 of 5 Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM

Ditto PP. I had an aversion to the word too because I work in the medical profession and I generally don't react well with anesthesia. But I was able to use the program without trouble and felt like it really helped me during birth. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page