How mahy here have had c-sections? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first was a c-section. He was breech and the dr didnt know he was breech until my water broke and she felt a foot. It wasnt my dr, it was the dr that was on call and she was pissed about it. Called my regular dr and made her come in early to do the section. You would've thought that they would have done better at trying to figure out his position in my last few visits because he was transverse at 37 weeks.

My daughter was a VBAC.
#32 of 46 Old 04-19-2004, 09:02 PM

My first was unscheduled, non-emergency c-section. 30+ hours of labour, 14 hours after my water broke, "failure to progress" at 4 cm. DS was bang on time...40 weeks.

Second was scheduled c-section. My OB has a 85% vbac sucess rate, and he didn't think I was a candidate.

Both babies never dropped, never engaged. They used forceps and the pediatrician leaning on the top of my belly to get #2 out.

#33 of 46 Old 04-19-2004, 10:21 PM

i had preterm labor from 33 weeks to 36 weeks, then had prodromal labor from that point. after all these contractions, i still had only dilated to 2.5 centimeters by december 20, the day i was induced. i'd gone to hospital 10 times by the time i delivered (you read that right, TEN) and the last few visits, the baby's heartrate was non-reactive and i ended up staying much longer for these "false alarms" than i would have had her heartrate been okay.
almost 12 hours after i was induced, i was having HARD contractions that would barely receed before the next began and i had only made it to 3 cm. her heartrate kept dropping and barely recovering. i ended up with an emergency c-section. and, yeah, i think it was warrented.
#34 of 46 Old 04-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Me - I had a Emergency C w/DS due to PIH

I had DD vag - yrs ago,

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#35 of 46 Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Two here, in 1984 and 1985. "Ftp and cpd." LMAO!

Two of the worst experiences in my life, imo. Of course, I was grateful at first that the dr had "saved my baby's life."
It was a few months later before I could look back objectively and realize that dd and I were subjected to dangerous, iatragenic routines, culminating in a crisis, rather than evidence-based care.

Vbac was still unheard of in my area in 1989, so I traveled out of state to be the second vbac after multiple sections mom with the U of Michigan cnms. 3 day labor, my babies tend to favor the OP position.

The cutting of so many women (and baby boys, but that's another thread) and the American infant mortality rate makes me ILL.
#36 of 46 Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM

I had a c-section 9 months ago because my daughter was breech. We tried all the methods we knew of to get her to turn including chiro, ECV, pulsatilla, pool, etc. But she wouldn't turn. We are religious so we prayed and meditated about it. Afterwards, we came to the decision that a c-section would be the healthiest way to deliver her. As it turned out, the umbilical cord was wrapped around her shoulder in a way that wouldn't allow her to move. And while I don't regret having it, I hope I never have to go through that again. It was very traumatic and so stressful on all of us. I had dreamed of having the perfect, unmedicated birth with DH as my coach. But it wasn't meant to be, at least not that time. But hopefully in a few years, we can try again!

I started a cesarean support group at www.meetup.com . You can find it through doing a topic search (my link doesn't work). I hope you all will sign up! I think it's important for those of us who have had one to be able to meet each other and share our thoughts and feelings on the process.

hang.gif  

#37 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 AM

I had a c/section. I feel it was totally unnecessary. I don't wanna recap the whole thing, but my birth story is posted under the Birth Stories forum if you feel like reading it. Basically, my baby and I went through many many interventions to the point where nothing about my labor was natural. I was scared into a cesarean.

Piglet-
I have to respectfully disagree with you when you say it isn't helpful for women to label their cesareans as necessary or not. Some women, including me, had extremely traumatic births and have a lot of processing to do. A lot of healing to do. I had Post traumatic stress disorder after my labor/cesarean. In sorting through what happened, it was important to me to be fully aware of the lasting implications of what I was told.

Did I actually believe that my pelvis was too small? That my baby would have gone into distress if I hadn't had the c/section? Did I believe that I couldn't birth naturally? These questions were EXTREMELY important to me, because I wanted another baby. If I believed these things, I would probably now be planning a repeat c/section. But I don't believe them. Hence, I feel my c/section was unnecessary, because I feel all the "reasons" for me having one were based on false conclusions, IMO.

So figuring out my c/section was unnecessary was important both to my emotional healing, and my planning of my next birth.

Needless to say, I am planning a VBAC. A home water VBAC.
#38 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 AM

If I can speak to what (I think) Piglet was saying (maybe not, but it's what *I* am saying either way)--- No one ELSE should be discussing or questioning the necessity of MY c-section, that is not helpful, unless I have asked for other's input .

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#39 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 11:24 AM

2 C sections; first for pre-eclampsia; second was my decision to have while being informed and educated. Good thing too because my uterus was thin enough to see the baby and with a 9 pound 12 ounce child, I likely would have ruptured. Wanted to keep my future fertility.
#40 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 01:26 PM

Oh, well if that's the case, I apologize for my tangent...I misunderstood, Pig!
#41 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 02:07 PM

No prob, lucysmom!

jess was right about what I meant. sorry if that wasn't more clear!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#42 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 03:28 PM

my 1st birth was an unplanned c/s. My dd's heartrate dropped below half of what it was supposed to be and never went back up. I was only dilated 7 cm so they decided to do a c/s. Was it necessary? I'll never know the answer to that ?. I am grateful to the MDs who just may have saved my dd's life

My 2nd dd was a VBAC! I love my dds equally but this birth was one of the most fantastic experiences of my life! the difference in recovery was remarkable.
#43 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 03:29 PM

I just realized I answered this post twice!

D'OH!!!

I'm blaming sleep deprivation. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it LOL
#44 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 05:15 PM

DS was a c-birth due to a failed induction at 41 weeks 5 days. DD was a successful, unmedicated VBAC .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#45 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 05:34 PM

I had a c-section at 41 weeks. If it weren't for the pitocin, I doubt I ever would have had contractions. Nothing happened.

Even after my pitocin, I never dilated past 3.

I think it was neccessary.
#46 of 46 Old 04-21-2004, 05:49 PM

I was on bedrest prior. My amniotic fluid would not go above a dangerous level and my placenta was calcifying which is why labor was induced. My sons heart beat was dropping on the 3rd day of labor/induction and I was rushed to a csection. His cord was doubled around his neck and was around his foot too. Without the csection he would have died--- yet it was the most horrific experiance of my life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page