How mahy here have had c-sections? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After reading the NYT article, I'm curious just how many women, on average end up with c-sections... and were they all necessary???

I had a c-section with my daughter, and I wonder if it really was the only option. I had contractions 5 minutes apart for 11 days (yes... 11 days!) and delivered my daughter at 37 1/2 weeks. They made the determination that I was NEVER going to dilate (I never progressed to a fingertip). After my c-section, they told me that she could not engage in my pelvis, that structurally it was not possible and that it truly was the only option and that I was right to consent before she ended up in serious distress.

I guess it just really makes you wonder how much of what they say is "really" the truth... you know???

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2004, 05:33 PM

was she in distress when they recommended the C-birth?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM

I had an emergency c-section due to my dd having heart decel's with my Braxton Hick's contractions. It was at 31 weeks, and she was in the hospital for one month. She's 4 years old now and doing great now.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

No, she was not in distress... I was.. but not medically speaking... I was in distress from not sleeping for 11 days I sometimes wonder if I really didn't make the most educated decision.. maybe I should have held out, but according to them, she never would have come vaginally. But we all know how much truth the medical profession can give at times. .. The doctor might have had an impending tee time or something???

Old 04-18-2004, 05:46 PM

I had one. At 42 weeks.

I don't know if it was "necessary". I do wonder about that.

I dilated and effaced totally really quickly (in 2 hrs) without pain killers or pitocin, or any kind of drug, actually. An hour of pushing and she was nearly crowning. FOUR MORE hours and she was started moving back up. I had no idea what else to do, was worn out. My doctor, my doula didn't have any other ideas - we tried lots of pushing positions.

I still wonder if I had somehow been able to sleep for an hour or something (medicated, probably) could I have come back and pushed her out.

Also definitely *not* helping was my mental state. Having lost 3 babies before this one, I panicked at the end and thought she was going to die, so I asked for a csection. My doctor said the baby was not in distress and in fact encouraged me to push a bit longer, but I could still not calm down.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:47 PM

Icequeen---

-----
I've never had a C-birth but I know that with my 1st dd I agreed to take cytotec, after 22 hours of 2 minutes contractions back to back. I was in pain, exhausted and misled about what cytotec was and told that I'd have to go to the hospital if she wasn't born before the 24 hour mark (b/c my water had broken). Cytotec was evil but 45 minutes later she was born vaginally and we didn't need to transfer. But the after effects of Cytotec were awful, she had seisures for days afterwards. When I finally learned more about cytotec, I was really angry.

I learned a lot from that experience. I am not sure I would have reported that my water had broken so early. And I KNOW that I wouldn't have take cytotec if I were more informed, educated and supported.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
They made the determination that I was NEVER going to dilate (I never progressed to a fingertip).
They had no way of knowing this. 11 days is not an absolute cutoff. Some women have mild contractions for a few weeks before "real labor" starts.

Maybe what you could do is post a poll in the Birth and Beyond forum asking how many c/s one has had, or in the VBAC forum asking if they felt it was necessary (or unavoidable) or not.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could say that my contractions for 11 days were mild... quite the contrary. Everyone told me they were the real deal and on the monitors, they were over 150... and hurt like holy h*ll!

He stated I never would have dilated because she never would have been able to engage in my pelvis, and therefore never put any pressure on my cervix???

Old 04-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

I had an emergency c after 24 hours of labor, and it was so ironic because I had purposely changed OBs at 20 weeks because my original OB practiced out of the hospital with the highest c rate in the counry! So I got these new OBs -there were two of them who were partners and changed to what I thought was a crunchier hospital - hired a doula who promised to keep me away form the scalpel, and practiced yoga religiously for 30 weeks in preparation for my natural childbrith.

DD was 2 weeks over due, I was in labor for 24 hours before they decided she was not going to come out - despite the fact that I had originally dilated from 3-10 centimeteres within the first two hours of labor. they could see her head swiveling back and forth against my cervix trying to find a way out and she just couldn't get through. When they pulled her out of my abdomnen she was 11 pounds - already into 3 month old size jammies at that size.

I was temporarily traumatized - the doctor told me I would have never been continent again if I had persisted trying to push her through the birth canal. I would have worn a poop bag for the rest of my life he said.

When I came back for my 6 week check up, he told me the tale of the prior night - another patient had an 11 pound baby - her husband threw my doctor to the ground when she was told she should have a c-section because the baby's head was stuck in the vagina. They had to have security take the husband away. Then the lady insisted on pushing the baby out though he was suffocating - so my doctor had to break the baby's clavicle and shoulder to get him out.

Imagine starting life with broken bones like that. Grusome.

Not that I am an advocate of c-section at all. My next will be a vaginal delivery if I can at all manage that. But I have big babies it seems - so I'll have to choose an induction if the next baby starts to go late term... I think dd grew two pounds in that last two weeks or something... giganto-baby.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:32 PM

I had a c-section and without going into all the details here, yes, it was necessary.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:43 PM

I had a cesarean in 98 because my son was breech. I think that it was necessary since there were no vag. breech experienced Drs in my area and I didnt know about homebirth then. I wouldnt want to have a breech baby vaginally with a fearful Dr. That would def. cause more problems and interventions. Ive since had a VBAC and am planning a HBAC for this Sept.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM

I had a c-section at 37 1/2 weeks. My water broke and dd was footling breech. When I got to the hospital, I was dilated to a 3 with a foot presenting. Planning a hbac this time!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:21 PM

I had a similar situation to comet.
I had my son (42 weeks and 1 day) 2 weeks ago via c section. I started out with a home water birth plan and 36 hours into that my contractions stoped coming...about one an hour. I was exhausted. I had dilated to a 6 so the ones I had before were productive but they just quit. I transfered to the hospital for some pitocin and rest. It worked like a charm but after 3 hours of pushing my son turned transverse at the last minute. Surprisingly the drs. tried to turn him...excruciating by the way. They wanted to try again but I begged them not to. I was the one that asked, 50 hours into it at this point, to give me a c section. They really wanted to give me the birth experience I wanted. My midwife was very impressed. So was I. But at that point I would have rather had my legs ripped from my body than go on pressing my 10 pound son into my pelvis.

So, maybe they could have turned him, maybe not. I do think that had I got some sleep I may have been in better shape and I would have progressed better at home, avoiding the situation all to gether.

Good question though...
amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:38 PM

hi. 2 c-sections here after a failed vbac.

the first one was a dr's suggestion. no stress. i was tired and hungry after about 16 hours with "failure to dilate" past 3 cm as the reason. devastated, i moved from texas to mexico for a vbac at a midwife clinic that had surgery available in emergency. this is a great place to have a natural birth. lots of sucess stories. after 18 hours, this one wouldn't progress either. the surgery team was called in. these midwives tried EVERY midwifery trick in the book, i believe, including tossing me around in a sheet!

interestingly enough, both babies were born with identical "scars" on their foreheads. the midwives and i think there is some physical blockage to my pelvis. Has anyone ever heard of that or been told that???

sometimes i wonder if we could've forced out the first one if the second one would've have then been successful. but then, my last one was huge and i think there probably would've been some broken bones involved - mine and the babies! Who knows?????:

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 04-18-2004, 08:43 PM

I've had three c-secitons. The first, my twins were in distress and needed to come out... My second, probably wasn't necessary, but, since i wasn't very informed, happened anyway. The third was necessary...When they went in, my scar was so thin, they could see the baby through it. I have had a tubal ligation and I will not have any more kids. Of course, five is enough... I think!
Old 04-18-2004, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a c-section. It probably wasn't necessary, because I don't think I really NEEDED to be INDUCED, but once I was on the path, there was no stoppin it... Here's the story in brief...

I was high-risk throughout my pregnancy. 42/"high" BP (was normal on meds entire pregnancy-even off meds it was like 160/90 & I had gone on meds to begin mainly for the heart protective benefits)/GD (blood sugars returned to normal ON THEIR OWN (really!) at about 36 weeks)/overweight. Baby was NEVER in distress at all for one second. I think I scared the :ignore out of my OB.

I tried to go with a midwife - wouldn't take me. I called one of the very few doulas in town - we talked - she said, "I think we can work something out" - never called me back. I had a female OB - I thought that might help a little bit...

I was induced at 38 1/2 weeks - 36 hours of cervadil, pitocin & no pain drugs. Cervadil did nothing. First round of pit produced no productive contractions. Second round of pit produced contrax on top of each other - all that & I got dialated to 2 cm. At about 36 hours I was exhausted & asked for a Fentanyl shot - had a few of those for the next 6 hours when they did the c-section.

I'm still disappointed I couldn't go natural, but I accept that I did the best I could at the time.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:06 PM

All my kids were csections, even the adopted one.

All of them were necessary.

First csection, failed ECV, fetal distress, fetal heart decels, and I had complications. Baby was transverse breech and it was discovered upon delivery I had a bicornuate uterus

Second child. Adopted from birth. Birth mother had history of pre-e. her blood pressure one hour before her csection was 210/100 with Dylan. He was born at 36 weeks 5 days.

Third baby, my second. I chose to have a repeat csection even though he was head down, his head was cocked to the side and his shoulder presenting against the cervix. I had contractions during this pregnancy from 14 weeks till I delivered. The last few weeks I was having contractions every 10-15 minutes. I never once dilated and baby tolerated them well. I also had pre-e with this pregnancy.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:16 PM

2---1 unplanned 1 planned

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 04-18-2004, 10:19 PM

I had a cesarean. I was a single 18 yr. old on Medicaid at the time. I was induced at 42 weeks. I'm positive it wasn't necessary.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:54 PM

Ive had 2 soon to be 3 c-sec.
The first one at the time because of distress was needed. But i think that inducing made that worse...
I tried a VBAC with irelend and ruptured so the c-sec saved both our lives...
and anymore kids will be c-sec around 37 wks....or i would most likely rupture again...
Old 04-19-2004, 12:32 AM

I've had 3, and will have my 4th in Oct. my first was 7 weeks early due to severe pre-e. he was double footling breech...attempted an external version, but he was stubborn (still is, :LOL), so he was born c-section, he was 4lbs 8oz. 2nd was an attempted VBAC, i was induced 3 days early due to how big i was (or rather baby was), had a good labor and dilated fairly quickly, but i never got an urge to push and when i did push it felt as though he was going to be born abdominally with no scapel or anesthesia (ie: like he was going to come shooting out my previous scar), so i basically said let's do a section, he was 10lbs 7oz. 3rd was scheduled, he was 10lbs 3oz. my 4th, this oct, will be scheduled as well.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:58 AM

I had a c/s that was probably unneccesary -- but I had an ob/gyn who was "slightly" intervention happy, and I didn't realize it til too late. My water broke & 6-8 hours later still no progress so they started the pit...no progress, no progress (and I mean NONE -- except pain and discomfort I never dialated, effaced, dropped, etc.. long story short, after 20 they discovered he was breech -- almost transverse, actually. So it was a routine c/s...

This time I will be hbacing...and I'm a bit more confident in my midwife - she will be able to tell if I am breech, I'm sure. And no stupid 24 hour cutoff!!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:15 AM

well, my first was 111 hours of sheer horror-they wanted to do a c on me, but I refused and FINALLY delivered my little guy 6lbs 13oz. They told me it would be better NOT to ever have another child (silly dolts).
15yrs later with ds #2, all went well and I was about 38 1/2 weeks when he turned from in position to a semi transverse (hard to explain how he was laying LOL) position ACROSS my stomach (it happened really quickly and was SO painful-it put me on my knees in the floor!). After he turned, I thought-sheesh, but at least he has time to turn back over before he is due-WRONG! The next morning, my water broke, and by the time we got to the hospital I was dilated to 5 and had steady contractions 2-3 minutes apart-BUT, he was still sideways and the cord was trying to prolapse, so I had an emergency c-section. I know that he would have been a quick delivery too-after progressing to 5 in about an hours time, and contractions weren't even that bad-I could have went drug free (like I had planned)-but instead got a scar and morphine drip (and really adorable baby LOL).
So, to make it shorter-necessary c-section
Shan
Old 04-19-2004, 04:28 AM

i had two emergency c's with my first two children.
daughter #1, water broke, no labor... induced with pitocin. Had demerol, dialated fully , pushed..she was wrapped in the cord around the neck and legs. emergency cesarean
daughter #2 induced with pitocin, epidural, fetal hearttones dropped. emergency c

i think both could've been avoided if i'd been smarter, more knowledgeable, less afraid and had demanded to be allowed to progress without pit with dd1 and never allowed induction at all with #2

my son was born by vba2c this past summer . naturally
Old 04-19-2004, 12:54 PM

1st dd: unplanned c-section, her heart rate dropped to less than half of what it was supposed to be and they couldn't get it back up. Turns out that her umbilical cord was tied in a knot and when my waters broke, the knot pulled tight. I don't know what would have happened without a c/s, so I am grateful my little one was OK

2nd dd: VBAC!!! At 7#,3 oz she was actually 2# lighter than her sis, so that was a nice bonus LOL
Old 04-19-2004, 03:33 PM

My first was a c-section that I know deep down was UN-necessary. It was a horrendous, heart wrenching experience. My next will be a homebirth.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:39 PM

3 necessary c-sections here

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 04-19-2004, 03:45 PM

I had an emergency c-section at 38 1/2 weeks. I was effaced 100% but I had dilated just 2 cms. plus my DD signs where getting weak, it only took the doctor 8 minutes to take her out of me, I was amazed! and a little disapointed as I wanted a natural birth... but I'm so glad everything went well for both of us
Old 04-19-2004, 04:08 PM

I had a emergency c/s at 41 weeks after 12 hours of being fully dialated, 24 hours of labor ( it started as a lovely but hard duala/ mid-wife assisted tub labor). My temp was going up and his heartrate was dropping when we finally headed in to sergury after 6 hours of being in the hospital. His head was asinclitic (sp?) which is why he wasn't progressing. I think is was nesassery.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:06 PM

I don't really think it does a whole lot of good to decide for women whether their C/S was necessary or not. Perhaps they may question it themselves, but it irks me when people try to put that label on such a personal experience. Even to ask a women if they think it was necessary or not...I don't think that's helpful.

My preferred course of action is disseminating factual information, educating women before they go into the birthing experience, and basically just advocating for a thorough education for women to know their options and the way birth is generally handled in hospitals and what they can expect re: pressures for interventions, restrictions on food and movement, etc.

I had a C/S and it likely falls into the category of "not medically necessary". I, however, chose it because the risks of a vaginal birth were more than I was personally comfortable with, given my history and given my own set of priorities re: birthing. I don't think that makes my C/S any more or less valid. I can say, however, that I did my research and was here at MDC well before my birth. So I feel confident that I based my decisions on facts. Ultimately, it came down to my own level of personal comfort and confidence in my decision.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

User Tag List